Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Lisence

Options
  • 10-11-2015 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi , im thinking of moving to the uk to go to college.. but for the course im interested in i need a drivers lisence.. i was wondering how long do i have to be living in the uk before i can apply? ive from ireland :) and what would i use for identification etc.. thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

See here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisional-driving-licence.

You will need a National Insurance number, its best to apply for this as soon as you have an address in the UK & utility bill/bank statement or council tax bill, it can take a number of weeks to be issued an NI number.

Proof of address in Ireland can be useful too for opening up a bank account. There is no waiting period to apply you can get started straight away, main obstacle initially will be proof of address, but once you have that sorted your good to go.

Other things to consider too:

As your coming over to the UK you should register with the NHS as soon as can with a local doctor and a dentist so you can access healthcare when you need it rather than wait. Bring an Irish EHIC with you as an interim.

Advertisement