Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property rental scam

Options
  • 10-11-2015 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/dublin-8/earlsfield-court-francis-street-dublin-8-dublin-1600390/

42 Earlsfield Court, Francis Street, Dublin 8 on daft.ie is most likely a scam. The advertised property is managed by MOD properties ltd, was listed on the 28th Oct for 1200euro per month, now it is advertised for 600euro per month. I sent a message to them and received this reply:

Barbara Chwalisz <barbara.cwsz@directbox.com>
    10:23 PM (56 minutes ago)

Hello,

My name is Chwalisz Barbara, I received an email that your interested in renting my property. The property is available, have all the facilities and utilities: TV, parking, laundry, air conditioning, high-speed Internet, pets are allowed. The monthly rent is €600 and includes all costs (heating, water and electricity). I worked in Ireland for 5 years and I bought the apartment for me and my family ,but now I'm back in Poland, and I will not stay there, so this is the reason why I rent the property. I work as a fashion designer. I'm very busy with my work. I also rent the house for a long and short time. For how long do you need? I want more information about you if you do not mind.

Thanks!

air conditioning in Ireland :) was a good one

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Bought a 1 bed apartment for a family?

Pets allowed?

Air Conditioning?

Sign me up immediately please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Did you report the ad to daft?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭owen85

I reported them straight away. Daft replied to me just there and I sent them on all the info.
    Who wants to see the email I got from a lady in Poland who owns the property? MOD Properties LTD were meant to be dealing with this rental.

The apartment went up as let agreed today, and the rental price also just shot back up to the 1200euro.

Barbara Chwalisz <barbara.cwsz@directbox.com>
    10:23 PM (11 hours ago)

to me
    Hello,

My name is Chwalisz Barbara, I received an email that your interested in renting my property. The property is available, have all the facilities and utilities: TV, parking, laundry, air conditioning, high-speed Internet, pets are allowed. The monthly rent is €600 and includes all costs (heating, water and electricity). I worked in Ireland for 5 years and I bought the apartment for me and my family ,but now I'm back in Poland, and I will not stay there, so this is the reason why I rent the property. I work as a fashion designer. I'm very busy with my work. I also rent the house for a long and short time. For how long do you need? I want more information about you if you do not mind.

Thanks!

to barbara.cwsz
    I am in a rush to rent an apartment so I would like to get this sorted asap. When can i view the apartment? Also if your not in Ireland how do I pay rent to you etc?

Barbara Chwalisz
    1:35 AM (8 hours ago)

to me
    Hi again,

Like I have informed you before, the price for 1 month of rent will be 600 Eur with all the bills included in it ,and I want also a security deposit refundable 600 Eur, with no extra taxes to pay.
    I want to receive the money monthly into my bank account , so I hope that will be no problem for you to wire the money .

I am willing to send you the keys so you can visit it and see it suits your needs. The delivery for the keys and viewing permit (signed by me), will be made with Airbnb (www.airbnb.com ) to make sure that we can trust each other.
    I have over 2600 positive reviews there since 2010. I usually use airbnb to secure this kind of payments.

If you are interested I can explain you the procedure , so I wait news from your side because I really need to take care of this matter.

Thanks !

to Barbara
    Ok.
    So you will send the keys so I can view the property before I send deposit as I lf course wouldn't pay anything before I get to view the place and see its suitable.

got an email from MOD Properties saying their account was scammed

Please note the MOD Properties account on Daft.ie was scammed last night.

Please do not reply to the advert below and do not forward any request for funds, any request is not authentic and not connected to MOD Properties.

Regards

Myles O’Donoghue
    MOD Properties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Just a warning to people who use daft. My mother is a landlord and got a message from a "potential tenant". She replied to the message. The "potential tenant" without asking send all her "ID details and landlord reference" in a link. The email had something like the house looks great and close to bars/restaurants. But the house is an area with a dry cleaners and a spar at most. I thought it was dodgy looking

My mother stupidly clicked the link for this "potential tenants details". That day I got a message from gmail saying her email account (its linked with mine) was accessed from a usual location that day. I looked at her email account and someone had changed her settings. All of her emails were being forwarded to some dodgy email address we never seen before. We emailed daft immediately to look into it

If you use daft to read properties be careful. Make sure to have a secure password on it and that your email has 2 step verification to prevent hacking like my mothers account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 nig09

She has another property listed in Ballsbridge too for 700 with the same story so its obviously a scam.
    How did she get reviews on airbn website though?

that is what i was wondering.

Last email I got from her if anyone is interested:

Hi,

First of all , I want to tell you that if you are ready to proceed with this transaction I will need to inform you the steps about how this service works.
    You will have 2 days to inspect the apartment before your final decision to rent . I will pay the shipping costs.

This is how they work :
    1. I will make the delivery papers at Airbnb.
    2. After I will make the papers for delivery they will require for your payment confirmation of the first month and the guarantee deposit
    (€600.00 + €600.00) to the company .Airbnb will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the Keys and the papers in their custody .
    Also Airbnb will give you further instructions about the money deposit .
    3. After the payment is confirmed the delivery process will start and when you will receive the keys, you will have 2 days inspection period before your final decision to rent .
    4. If all is in order, you will instruct Airbnb to give me the money. Further rents will be sent directly to my bank account.
    5. If you refuse to rent the apt , Airbnb will give you a full refund (€1200.00) and you will give them back the keys and the contract.

You do not need to book on Airbnb website, I offering your instant booking from me to Airbnb. Airbnb we are offering you full protection.
    This is my verified profile Airbnb: https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/5443243

Please send me your information, so I can make the deal with Airbnb:

Rental period:
    Check in:
    Guest:
    Name:
    Address:
    City:
    Postal Code:
    Phone number:
    A copy of your ID,passport or driving license by email ( scan or photo) and a picture of you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

How does airbnb come into it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There was a woman on the joe duffy show today,
    she said she saw a house for rent on some website ,in dublin for 1200 euro per month.
    It was a scam ,the ad was copied from an ad by the real landlord on another website .
    She googled the house adress and found 2 ads with the same house for rent
    for different rental rates and different contact emails .
    THe scammer emailed her and asked her to send him a payment in advance
    and she would get a 7 per cent discount on the rent .
    She contacted the real landlord and was told to send no money to anyone
    ,ie the first ad was a scam and just copied from some site like daft.ie .
    I presume she was on yelp or a similar website,
    she said she was just suspicious because there was no reviews of the house or comments .
    Just the ad .
    I did,nt know theres a site that reviews houses for rent .
    She did not mention any website names .
    She noticed both ads had different email adress,s and the scammer
    was male ,
    the real landlord is a woman .

Her verified airbnb profile doesnt exist.
    I would guess that her AirBnBullsh*t is a fake airbnb to whom I was meant to forward my payment to, after which I would get the keys to check out the apartment...or in this case get nothing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Why would someone send money to a landlord ,
    to rent a house,for a year or more , without even visiting the house or meeting the landlord at the house.
    Anyone can put a fake ad on ,the internet ,get a few photos, of a house ,here,s my email adress, mobile no.my name is joe bloggs.
    i wonder do daft.ie do checks on landlords ,do they ask for id or some document or some
    proof they own the house they advertise for rent .
    IF i wanted to rent a house i,ll visit and view it inside and meet the landlord at the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gasher

It a scam Airbnb did not cover themselves in glory I lost a few hundred being a dope

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gasher

Reported it to the guards, bank of Ireland and the bank in Liverpool she using huge scam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

bigpink wrote: »
    How does airbnb come into it

The renter gets a fake email from airbnb telling them to send the €600 + €600 by western union and confirming they will only forward it to the other party once the rental of the property is confirmed etc etc scam scam.

Air BnB do not send keys or take money payments from people like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

western union = scam

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RODRIGOLANSKY

Hi Owen.

Many thanks for posting that.

I have been talking to the same "lady" since 09/Nov/15. She sent me exactly the same e-mails she sent to you.

There is just one thing I did not get. How does "she" have 2685 reviews in airbnb? I have never used airbnb, that is why I am asking.

Hi,

First of all , I want to tell you that if you are ready to proceed with this transaction I will need to inform you the steps about how this service works.
    You will have 2 days to inspect the apartment before your final decision to rent . I will pay the shipping costs.

This is how they work :
    1. I will make the delivery papers at Airbnb.
    2. After I will make the papers for delivery they will require for your payment confirmation of the first month and the guarantee deposit
    (€800.00 + €800.00) to the company .Airbnb will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the Keys and the papers in their custody .
    Also Airbnb will give you further instructions about the money deposit .
    3. After the payment is confirmed the delivery process will start and when you will receive the keys, you will have 2 days inspection period before your final decision to rent .
    4. If all is in order, you will instruct Airbnb to give me the money. Further rents will be sent directly to my bank account.
    5. If you refuse to rent the apt , Airbnb will give you a full refund (€1600.00) and you will give them back the keys and the contract.

You do not need to book on Airbnb website, I offering your instant booking from me to Airbnb. Airbnb we are offering you full protection.
    This is my verified profile Airbnb:

Please send me your information, so I can make the deal with Airbnb:

Rental period:
    Check in:
    Guest:
    Name:
    Address:
    City:
    Postal Code:
    Phone number:
    A copy of your ID,passport or driving license by email ( scan or photo) and a picture of you.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,526 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The account she's pointing you to won't be her account. All the emails you get "from" them will be fake.

Report the entire damn thing to AirBnB.

Hi Rodrigo,

I think L1011 has answered that for me.

If it seems to good to be true, it usually is
    If rent has drooped drastically over a short period of time, I would question its legitimacy/ likelihood of future problems with the owner regarding rent increases etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

owen85 wrote: »
    This is my verified profile Airbnb: https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/5443243
    Click here to see the Google Cache of the above link.

the syco does that mean Luz is the person doing the scam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

owen85 wrote: »
    the syco does that mean Luz is the person doing the scam?

id say they just picked a random profile with a decent rating, she appears to stay at other places rather than let out anything.

the real lesson in life here is : IF IT INVOLVES WESTERN UNION OR MONEYGRAM IN ANY WAY ITS A SCAM. NO ABOVE BOARD INDIVIDUAL CONDUCTS BUSINESS THROUGH THESE SERVICES IN IRELAND.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lina.Bra

Woooooow, so glad that i typed her Mailadress on Google

Also got an Email from her. I'm living in Austria. She wrote that she lived in Vienna for 7 Years and that she's now going back to the UK.

I thought that something was not OK withher, and then i found this Thread :o

should i consult the Police or are'nt they able to do anything ?

Greets Lina

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Lina.Bra wrote: »
    Woooooow, so glad that i typed her Mailadress on Google

Also got an Email from her. I'm living in Austria. She wrote that she lived in Vienna for 7 Years and that she's now going back to the UK.

I thought that something was not OK withher, and then i found this Thread :o

should i consult the Police or are'nt they able to do anything ?

Greets Lina

It's unlikely that any details supplied are true, so giving the info to the police will be fruitless. Report the ad to the website and it should be taken down. This is unfortunately the best you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lina.Bra

Woow ok, thank u so much! So glad that i found this Thread :o

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Laura_A

Its a scam - different email address but same name person was asking me about the ballsbridge one.. If you look at her 'Air BnB' page it does not have a valid air bnb address it is not a legit site it is just designed completely the same as the air bnb site... Quite a clever scam in fairness..

I reported this person to Daft & Air Bnb last year - great to see how good they are at dealing with scammers :(

Advertisement