Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord approached me to increase the rent

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Is the OP in arrears seeing as he has an agreement with the landlord on those arrears i.e. deposit and paid the day he moves out. It seems to be that resolves the arrears albeit he still has an obligation to pay when he moves out but the landlord agreed to that to resolve the arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Stheno wrote: »
    Your landlord is entitled to increase the rent in line with market rates once every 12 months, so there was nothing out of the ordinary in him telling you he is doing so within 28 days of increasing the rent.

It's not affected by the proposed changes in law that are not as of yet law.

As your tenancy is so old/long, maintenance of the garden can be something you are responsible for.

As for maintaining the property, yes he is responsible for that.
    However given that you owe him a months rent and have no deposit for what would appear to be a considerable amount of time, I'm not sure he can justify all of the work you are wanting doing.

He also needs to give notice in writing. A knock on the door does not constitute notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Dgriff wrote: »
    Yes, 2 months behind after 11 yrs, to put it in perspective. Intending to(and will) pay before chrismas is beside the point, why? He's replaced some appliances and some he hasn't replaced. He says it's not his responsibility to paint the interior (damp mould) or exterior (paint is falling off the walls in big flakes) of the house. I have paid 99.5% of my rent over 11 yrs. I am a good tenant.
    A tenant 2 months in arrears is not a good tenant. Sorry, that's the truth. If you owed your local corner shop a month's pay would you consider yourself a good customer??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Over twenty years and I've never missed a rent/mortgage payment. Apparently I deserve a medal for meeting my financial commitments.

OP, if you are behind in rent, you are a problem tenant. I don't know what makes you think you are in any position of strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭munster87

In fairness the landlord seems to sound like a decent enough chap, and that's just from hearing your side of things

• Advertisement
Advertisement