Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help/advice needed regarding rent increase

Options
  • 10-11-2015 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi, so I'll try to explain as best I can my situation.

We (family) have been private renting for three years and our lease expires in December 2015. Our previous landlady has sold her home to her brother last month and he has now become our new landlord, needless to say his first action was to mention to us that we are paying to little and rent will be increased (375euro) per month starting from December (when old lease expires) now we of course expected him to increase the rent but the problem is now after verbally in person agreeing on 1,400 per month is now saying he double checked with agency and 1,600 is 'market rate' for our area.

Where do we stand on this? I met him and after talking, i asked him straight out how much is he thinking of charging, he said he would be looking at charging 1,400e to which I agreed.

He said he will ring me tomorrow to discuss it but I fear he might just give us notice to leave if be thinks we won't pay the 1,600.

Confused and don't need the stress so close to Christmas :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

So your current rent is €1025? The initial increase was proposed to be €1400. Now the landlord is talking about €1600?
    Do some research yourself. What is the going rate in your area on daft.ie? Have some concrete examples to show your landlord if €1600 is above the average for the area.
    If you feel the increase is too high & unfair you can refer a case to the PRTB for adjudication.
    If the house was sold with you as a sitting tenant then I imagine that your tenancy rights continue but it would be worth trying to confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

April 73 wrote: »
    So your current rent is €1025? The initial increase was proposed to be €1400. Now the landlord is talking about €1600?
    Do some research yourself. What is the going rate in your area on daft.ie? Have some concrete examples to show your landlord if €1600 is above the average for the area.
    If you feel the increase is too high & unfair you can refer a case to the PRTB for adjudication.
    If the house was sold with you as a sitting tenant then I imagine that your tenancy rights continue but it would be worth trying to confirm this.

That's correct, we understand that 1,025 was below what other homes in area are going for (1300-1500) the issue is he agreed on 1,400 but now today decided that he madeca mistake and now wants 1,600e as opposed to the 1,400 agreed on!

I assume he saw the new legislation regarding landlords been unable to raise rent every year

Pain in the ass

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

There is no such new legislation. As of yet it is purely talk and speculation. As others have said research the market rate for your area yourself and (assuming it is different from the €1600p/m the landlord is claiming is market rate) present your information to him when he presents you with the notice of rent increase. If he still decides to push ahead you can always take a dispute with the PRTB, and having the information you have obtained on market rates yourself will be of help to you

Advertisement