Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grabone Closing Down

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The voucher / deals site industry is busted; the providers won't give them the 100% markup required and people have become massively wary of service vouchers (restaurants/hotels/beauty) due to the difficulty claiming them. Groupon will be the last one standing and I expect it to shrink hugely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

L1011 wrote: »
    The voucher / deals site industry is busted; the providers won't give them the 100% markup required and people have become massively wary of service vouchers (restaurants/hotels/beauty) due to the difficulty claiming them. Groupon will be the last one standing and I expect it to shrink hugely.

I agree, but that didnt stop grabone sending me an email this morning giving me 5 euro credit to spend. I followed the link and got the splash page about closing down. Not very clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the daily deals market has been doomed for a long time, people see through the BS and fake RRPs, most of the products or services can be gotten for the same price without jumping through hoops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Some are ok. I like buying the thunder road vouchers. Used one last saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

There are some occasional deal to be had on had on these type of sites, but sometime they offer price of something are 50% higher than the price on amazon.co.uk with free super saver delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Acara

You should check out Pigsback.com twitter. They posted last week that they have been delivering a quality experience since 2000 and are outdoing the US giant Groupon at this stage.

Acara wrote: »
    You should check out Pigsback.com twitter. They posted last week that they have been delivering a quality experience since 2000 and are outdoing the US giant Groupon at this stage.

Sounds like the BS the grouch mentioned in his post. What I would love to know is how they make their money because all these sites offer the same stuff again and again really and how many spa days does anyone want and as for teeth whitening and that stupid skooter thing please give us a break!!!!!

Loss of 200k in 2013 (last accounts filed), accumulated "profits" of -13M.

https://www.duedil.com/company/IE320005/empathy-marketing-limited/financials

They might be selling more than Groupon but at those figures its not a great boast!

Loss of 200k in 2013 (last accounts filed), accumulated "profits" of -13M.

https://www.duedil.com/company/IE320005/empathy-marketing-limited/financials

They might be selling more than Groupon but at those figures its not a great boast!

God took a look at those figures and shocking. How can they still be around with debts like that.

God took a look at those figures and shocking. How can they still be around with debts like that.

Constant cashflow helps hugely in situations like that.

• Advertisement

Constant cashflow helps hugely in situations like that.

I was at the launch of pigsback in 2000 and what struck me was that it was all based on investors money and 'big notions' really. The site isn't attracting any new companies really so where does the constant cash flow come.

Pigsback was interesting when it first started. I stopped using it years ago, and only retreived my account for the Marie Keating 5k/10k, whose timing was supposed to be done by precision timing. :p
    I sure pick em.

Pigsback was interesting when it first started. I stopped using it years ago, and only retreived my account for the Marie Keating 5k/10k, whose timing was supposed to be done by precision timing. :p
    I sure pick em.
    Why did you need to retrieve your account from pigsback to run in a race whose only objective should be to raise money for cancer research.
    Given the state of pigsback's books would make you wonder about the true motives behind the 'altruistic' behaviour.

There are some occasional deal to be had on had on these type of sites, but sometime they offer price of something are 50% higher than the price on amazon.co.uk with free super saver delivery.

Just like the groutch said it's all BS and fake RRP's. Any hotel let's face it will give u a good deal off peak time!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Used grabone a fair bit for lunch deals, thought they were a pretty well run site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Theyre mostly shít, no refunds or anything but Pigsback do give full refunds within 14 days and 70% refund closer to the expiry
    Makes them more attractive to me

Why did you need to retrieve your account from pigsback to run in a race whose only objective should be to raise money for cancer research.
    Given the state of pigsback's books would make you wonder about the true motives behind the 'altruistic' behaviour.

Purchase for the event had to be made through Pigsback from what I could tell. Lord knows why.
    Just like the groutch said it's all BS and fake RRP's. Any hotel let's face it will give u a good deal off peak time!!

Wasn't motivated by a RRP. I was due a 10k race as part of my training plan and this fitted in nicely.
    Unfortunately not running much lately but hoping to turn that around once I get rid of this bronchitis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭andywozhere

Here are a few more that have bitten the dust over the last few years:

BoardsDeals
    BagaDeal.ie
    bundlebee.ie
    dafadeals.com
    crazydeals.ie
    dealbuzz.ie
    foffit.com
    girliedeals.ie
    gr8fish.ie
    justtreats.ie
    maddeal.com
    todaysdeals.ie
    topdeals.ie
    wowdeals.ie
    yourdeal.ie
    onoffer.ie
    thedealking.ie
    gruupy.com
    megadeals.ie
    featured.ie
    grabadeal.ie
    newstalk.ie/about/deal-of-the-day
    jobs.ie/Deals
    snapicity.com
    sinirgy.com
    catchthemonkey.ie
    grouple.ie
    jammygit.ie
    myirishvouchers.com
    i-deal.ie
    moocher.ie
    smartsave.ie

(source www.dealy.ie/deals-in-ireland/list-of-daily-deal-sites)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

To an extent I agree but I've rang hotels and been told that the price is the price and there's been very little budge.

I think the deal sites are good for the hotel/meal vouchers if the dates suit you. They've restricted it more and more over the years though. Initially you could book a hotel room any night of the week, now its all Sun-Thurs and loads of blackout dates. beddeals.ie is another one I don't see mentioned in the list above; when it first started I got some great discounts on hotel rooms that I couldn't get otherwise.

Advertisement