Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch recommendations

Options
  • 10-11-2015 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

Pulled out my brother-in-law for this year's kris kindle and he's into triathlons a bit. Not obsessed or anything, more a social thing with his mates but he's into technology too and I know if there was a decent watch that will help with them he'd be into it.

Budget is only €125 unfortunately but these 2 come in at just that price. Reviews are mixed on amazon but I think the TomTom looks cooler and it has the capacity to add a heart-rate monitor, bike mount etc.

http://www.wiggle.com/tom-tom-multi-sport-gps-watch/

http://www.wiggle.com/garmin-forerunner-15-1/

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

AKW has a sale on at the moment. Check it out some good Polar watches at serious reductions. http://gottarun.ie/index.php?rt=product/category&path=95_107

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

thanks, seems like great reductions but I don't have a clue on what's decent or not I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Some of them are older units, newer updated versions of them are now available with smartwatch features and loads of things like that.

The Polar RC3 GPS was designed as a weekend warrior watch; bit of cycling, bit of running, use in the gym and that kind of thing.

Re your OP I would stay away from the FR15 - its going very soon and is well outdated TBH. In real life people are obtaining a fair bit less than 4 hours battery. I don't know about the TomTom it looks well priced and gives you the options of extras down the road.

So would the RC3GPS come recommended for somebody who might do less than 10 small triathlons a year with his mates, then his own running/cycling training at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

podge018 wrote: »
    So would the RC3GPS come recommended for somebody who might do less than 10 small triathlons a year with his mates, then his own running/cycling training at the weekend.

I had one for a week or so. Didn't suit my needs but would suit someone as you have described.

• Advertisement

what was your issue with it tunney?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Vincepl

I bought the RC3 GPS +HRM + Cadence Meter in Halfords on an offer.

I bought it because of the HRM and used it solely for heart rate tracking on the bike.

It was a good watch but lacked the ability to have custom displays and you had to operate off what is on what particular display you have up at the time.

I bought it in July and it gave up the ghost last week. I'm in the process of returning it to Polar but not happy that it is gone in 4 months.

I also have a Garmin 310XT which I find a far better watch. It has issues with the Garmin HRM (hence the RC3 purchase) but I think that is the same for all Garmin HRMs. I'm sure if you look around you would pick up a 310XT under your budget online. It has some issues and has gone a bit crazy on me from time to time but always sorts itself out. I have it since July 14 and have used it a minimum of 3 times a week since and it is still going strong.

I also find that the Garmin connect is easy to interface with and have never used the Polar equivalent as when using the RC3 on the bike I would also have the 310XT going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Vincepl wrote: »
    I bought the RC3 GPS +HRM + Cadence Meter in Halfords on an offer...

What happened? The only issue (touch wood) I've ever had was people changing HRM batteries and the pairing not being recognised. I'd usually reset it by pairing with a different transmitter and it would recognise the original unit.

I just remembered one major disadvantage that the Polar RC3 has as a triathlon watch. It is not waterproof. It says in the instructions not to even take into the shower. I know GPS isn't very accurate in the open water but at least with the 310XT you get the time you were in there and an approximate distance you travelled (even though when you look at the GPS info after it looks like you had a few too many).

thanks for that Vincepl.

bit of an ugly yoke the 310XT :D

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    What happened? The only issue (touch wood) I've ever had was people changing HRM batteries and the pairing not being recognised. I'd usually reset it by pairing with a different transmitter and it would recognise the original unit.

Not sure, have been using it as a wrist watch as I haven't been on the bike much since the end of the triathlon season. Charged it at the weekend put it back on and when I woke in the morning it was blank. Tried to recharge but not a peep. Hopefully Polar sort it out for me.

thanks for that Vincepl.

bit of an ugly yoke the 310XT :D

I can't deny that :)

Suits me sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You might get a pre-loved 910XT for your budget nowadays as the prices have tumbled. Perhaps not the whole kit but he could add HRM + mounts later himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

what was your issue with it tunney?

Apologies, i did not have this watch. I had a much earlier version. you can ignore my comments.

looks like I can get the TomTom in my original post PLUS the heart monitor for nearly half price on amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D7LNAX8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Comes in a little over budget but who's to know.

Advertisement