Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB pensioner allowance

Options
  • 10-11-2015 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭

I am currently building a house. My parents in law will be moving in with us. We will be having a single meter in the house.

How do I ensure that they can still get the free esb allowance? Do I need to put the bill in join names? for example my name and my father in laws name or what should I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi 893bet,

Thanks for getting in touch.

It would be a matter of the customer(s) eligible for the Free Electricity Allowance (FEA) reopening their account for the address they are moving to, after they close it when moving out of their previous address - or, if you wish to open an account in your name, just add the name of the FEA customer to your bill (they would need to give their authorisation to have their name added also). Then make the Department of Social Protection aware of this change.

Kind regards,
    Una

________

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

Hi 893bet,

Thanks for getting in touch.

It would be a matter of the customer(s) eligible for the Free Electricity Allowance (FEA) reopening their account for the address they are moving to, after they close it when moving out of their previous address - or, if you wish to open an account in your name, just add the name of the FEA customer to your bill (they would need to give their authorisation to have their name added also). Then make the Department of Social Protection aware of this change.

Kind regards,
    Una

________
    They actually currently dont claim their allowance at all.

Would the easiest way be to put their name on the bill starting off straight away?

Hi again 893bet,

To have the FEA applied, the Department of Social Protection needs to be contacted directly first, on 1890 500 000. They would require the Electric Ireland account number also. They would liaise with Electric Ireland then.

If the customer would like to have the FEA applied to their account now or ASAP, they can provide their current Electric Ireland account number. To make the change once they move address, it will not be an issue.

Una

________

If the Account is in my sole name is my question or does it matter?

For the FEA to be applied to the account, the account has to be either in the name of the customer who is in receipt of FEA, or that person's name has to be a second name on the bill (e.g. alongside your own name).

Una

________

• Advertisement

For the FEA to be applied to the account, the account has to be either in the name of the customer who is in receipt of FEA, or that person's name has to be a second name on the bill (e.g. alongside your own name).

Una

________
    Perfect.

thanks very much

Advertisement