Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shellac - nail damage?

Options
  • 10-11-2015 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭

I've been getting Shellac done every three weeks the past couple of months, and I've just noticed that the end of my nails seem to be getting a bit weak and chipped.

I'm not sure whether to blame the Shellac, or is it just down to general diet/lifestyle factors? I don't think I've ever heard of Shellac causing damage to the nails, but I'll ask the girl next time she's doing them.

Also, she usually files the old polish off rather than using acetone etc - I wonder is this better/worse for the nails than soaking them in acetone?

And anything you might recommend to improve the condition? I'm not using any products at all on them at the moment.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Usually when I'm getting mine off they are filed a bit and then wrapped/dipped in acetone. Not sure if filing them off is better or worse. I've been getting mine done for roughly 5 years (every 4 weeks) with about a month of a break in total. I've no nail damage at all.

Is it definitely Shellac you got? A friend of mine got a fake one and it only lasted a few days and left her nails very dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭kickthecan

I have forgotten what they actually look like i have had shellac on for so long now. Surely it has to be bad though not allowing them exposure to the air and sun for vitamins for so long?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

There's always going to be a small bit of damage from filing and the acetone...just give them a break for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Shellac absolutely destroys my nails. Every so often I give it a chance and am disappointed. The nail literally breaks off really short - as if I cut it too short - very very sore.

I just go with Bio Gel nails now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I just go with Bio Gel nails now

What is this Bio Gel nail thing you speak of? Something new? Something shiny? Ok fine i'll buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I would also like to know please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

It's in my local salon. I think it's just normal gel but it is supposed to be better. I don't know. It works for me. The nails are a bit weaker after a while, but doesn't break like shellac

• Registered Users Posts: 13 summer02

I've been doing my own Shellac nails for 2 years now and so far it has caused no damage to my natural nails. But I only use the genuine CND products, including their Solar Oil, so maybe this makes a difference? I was spending €40 a month at my local salon. I bought a UV lamp on Amazon for £20 and I get the colours from allthingslovelyjubbly.com. Lovely jubbly indeed :-)

Advertisement