Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with my face..?

Options
  • 10-11-2015 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

Are they cropping up the week before your cycle starts and just as those are disappearing, more coming up again in the same place? The sides of the mouth, under the nose and on the chin and jawline are where period related pimples are supposed to crop up. I don't think there's much you can do to prevent this apart from take hormonal contraception, if you don't already.

FFIW, I find Starflower oil eases the skin related issues as well as the rest that goes along with the cycle, but it doesn't work for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It's probably hormone related.
    I have the same issue and have been told there's nothing I can do.
    Have started getting them on my neck now-they make me feel dirty.
    Am afraid people will think I don't wash myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I'm the same, 28 and have had more painful spots in the last 6 months than I have had in the previous 10 years. Apparently your hormones settle on your late 20s and it can mean hormonal contraceptives which suited before might have different side effects than before. I've changed my pill but it hasn't helped much! I would recommend talking to your doctor though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Dr.Robotnik

Could it be adult acne?

I know I get a lot of spots when I touch my face too much. Like sitting at a desk and put my hand on my chin to rest my head, I have to make a conscious effort not to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

I was suffering some the exact same thing recently, would have them the week of ovulation and then the week of period. Absolute nightmare. They were awful looking. I had also tried that La Roche Possay Effaclar Duo+ to not much effect. Was at the GP and mentioned them to her and she prescribed a cream(well it's more like a clear gel) called Rozex. It cleared them up in about a week and I have gone through a whole cycle since and no spots. Delighted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Do you take any vitamins/supplements?
    I find anything hormone related, including my spotty jaw, is better behaved whenever I take evening primrose oil and cod liver oil.

Give the starflower oil a try SF, I know that without it I'm definitely spotty at ttotm and the week before. It's good for your skin in general, even if it doesn't knock it on the head so you've little to lose. :)

Takes a month or two to show results, but actually helps across the board with the symptoms other than the skin as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

I have no advice, just wanted to say I'm so glad I'm not the only one that this is happening to, at nearly 28! I'm currently brewing another big,sore, bubbling under the skin monster on my chin which will no doubt leave me with a shiny new scar. I was very seriously thinking about going to the doctor but think I'll give the starflower oil a go first. Thanks folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I was the same this time last year, tried effaclar too thought it was rubbish. I actually remember your previous thread about this I commented too saying I was in the same boat. My skin is actually great now and youll prob think I'm mad but I've put it down to drinking two cups of warm water with two slices of lemon a day, one in the morning and one at night. My skin has never been so balanced and spot free. I feel like my skin was so off its ph balance and the lemon water has helped to balance it out. Now I can't pin point it to this exactly, but nothing else has changed and I actually started to see immediate skin improvement after drinking this every day. Try it for a week I will bet you any money you'll see a difference in a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭fits

Wow, I find effaclar really good! Surprised people dont like it.

I have had problems for years been on accutane, tretinoin creams, you name it. effaclar seems to keep it under control for me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

I'm suffering the same type of spots also! 28 and have had persistent sore spots along my jaw line and chin, nightmare! Have high BP so had to come off the pill. La Roshe also didn't work for me, made me break out in a rash.

Ive started to double cleanse in the evening, use an acid toner 3-4 times per week and generally try to stay away from any kind of 'foaming' washes as they tend to dry my skin out, making the problem even worse! I went to the GP and got a prescription for Duac Gel which I use a small amount of at night on the affected area (it's quite drying).

Seems to have made an impact, I'm getting less sore spots the last 2 months and the ones I do get are going away quicker. My next problem is trying to get rid of the scars on my jawline, a couple are quite noticeable. One problem after the other :(

time to go to a doctor maybe? The tretinoin creams are harsh but good. (but you must make sure you dont get pregnant while using)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Astrolabe

I remember my doctor telling me that breakouts around the chin area, or to the sides of the mouth, are hormone-related, whereas breakouts on the forehead and between the eyes are diet-related. I empathise with you, because I was plagued by chin breakouts all through my teens, twenties and early 30s. It WON'T go away by itself, at least not for a very, very long time, so don't put up with it if you are unhappy.

I can tell you what worked for me if that's any help...? I had spent years trying all the things people recommend - change in diet, eliminating certain foods, good skincare, using particular products, medication etc. Then someone recommended I go to a homeopath. I went, and it worked 100%, and quite quickly. She asked me tons of questions and did some sort of electronic test to see which of my organs were struggling. My skin and liver came out as being 'clogged' or backed-up. She gave me some drops to put in water every day and drink. It was all some sort of herbal stuff. After a few weeks the breakouts were 100% gone (and remember I had tried EVERYTHING!). I would go back to her once a month to get more drops, as a bottle of them would last a month.. At times when I didn't get a chance to go back, I would be without the drops for a couple of weeks, and the breakouts would return, but then would always go away again once I got the drops. She used to charge me €40 for a consultation, and the drops were €15, but you only had to go for an initial consultation - and after that you just had to swing by for more drops and pay for them. This was in Limerick, a couple of years ago, but I'm sure other homeopaths around the country would probably charge similar, and would use the same drops. I'm very sorry that I can't remember the name of them, but any homeopath would know what ones to recommend. I stopped going because I got pregnant, skin went haywire but drops were not suitable for pregnant people to use, and after baby was born the breakouts went away anyway. I am 37 now and would not hesitate for a second to go back to her if the spots ever came back. I hope this was helpful! Best of luck xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

So glad I'm not the only one. I'm 31 the last 2 years my skin is awful. Sore painful spots on my jawline chin and neck.
    Had brilliantly clear skin up until then.
    Hormone relateded for sure. I got a gel from gp. It worked for a bit. But spots reappearing again.
    On no pill. Waiting on a gynea appointment.
    It's very frustrating. It looks horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I bought starflower oil capsules today... Looking forward to seeing if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

You could try asking in the chemist? Or see if you could buy online? Some things are on prescription in the south but not in the north etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I find a acid toner, followed by zinc spray excellent. This is part of the regeime recommended by Caroline hirons

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

FFS I just typed out a bit reply to you and it didn't post!

Anyway, I have crappy skin and after trying every cleanser, toner, serum etc on the market (and spending a fortune) I decided to go down a different route and work on the problem from the inside out!

I got some Omega 3,6 and 9 tablets from Holland and Barrett (which also have Starflower oil in them) and after only about 4-5 weeks I can see a huge difference already.
    My skin is soft and plumped in the mornings, make up glides on and most importantly I can really see a lovely glow which I've never had before in my life! And NO SPOTS.

And I also started gently cleansing in the morning with a warm face cloth, I used to do a proper facial cleanse with lots of products but since I've simplified it, my skin is looking much much better.

I highly recommend the Omega tablets!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

molly09 wrote: »
    I find a acid toner, followed by zinc spray excellent. This is part of the regeime recommended by Caroline hirons

I bought the recommended PixiGlow and the La Roche Posay Zinc spray but my skin was in bits :(
    I was so disappointed, I spend a small fortune on following Caroline Hirons suggestions but I ended up with very irritated skin, it was all too harsh for me!

it's good to hear it works fro you though, just shows how diverse skin can be and reacts in different ways for different people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Serozinc is my hero product! As soon as I get spots I spray it on and at night I'd spray lots of times. Clinique redness solution fash wash really worked for me too and a combination of both these products have helped clear my cheeks and chin of the red rash of spots which I seemed to always have no matter what.

its a topical antibiotic and would take a few weeks to make a difference. It might work for you. I found the tretinoin creams more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Had the same problem, developed spots around my mouth and chin area as I got older. Tried everything. I spent a small fortune on different types of facials and different types of over the counter creams. Pretty much every beautician used to comment on it and say it was hormone related (even though there was a constant outbreak) and diet related. About 10 years ago the doctor prescribed a white cream (the name escapes me) but it didn't help and bleached my pillows.

Randomly the doctor noticed last year (I was in for something else) and asked about my acne. I told her what I'd tried and she prescribed a topical liquid antibiotic and it has worked wonders. For the first time in well over a decade I am spot free. I got the odd break out but nothing compared to what I had before. I can't tell you how much of a difference it made to my self esteem. Some of the spots used to be those awful big ones that hurt but thankfully those days are behind me.

The only downfall is that the antibiotic is a little bit pricey and is only good for 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭mckar

Try antihistamines I have been having the same problem and it's actually working wonders. Depending on the reason for them coming i suppose but it's worth a try I've very sensitive skin myself and I really find they make a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

BTW, it might be that you're eating the same food, but the input ingredients have changed.

Try adopting the BulletProof diet / drinking more water / getting allergy tested / getting a blood test / and doing an alkalising detox. You might figure out whatever is triggering this that you can balance out easily!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

Have you ever used Optima Organic Tea Tree Cream? It is a soothing antiseptic cream. When my kids were going through the spotty stage I got this from Holland & Barrett, UK. The trick is
    1. wash hands thoroughly
    2. apply to area with clean finger leave overnight
    3. apply each night until gone (usually a couple of days)

Hope it works for you.

Advertisement