Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega new Astro city arcade machine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Christ Mitch. Your flying with all bargins lately.
    End of an era. Youve single handedly kept us all stocked up over the years.

Ive finally decided i need to go candy cab route. Woodies take up far too much space and need a small jamma cab. Was gonna get Candies next yr but this is too good and local to pass up. Put me down as 4th in line offer in case any deals fall thru. This is like game of thrones ☺ Best of luck guys. Bargin.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I'll have to start taking a few "boards breaks" in work. Almost every other day when I get home and check this I think to myself "ah for f**k's sake", ha.

Do you have many more to shift?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm off over the weekend, and if it'll fit in my car I'm happy to nip down to you, then nip home, give me a few bob for petrol and we're all good.

exceptional generous offer to drive it to corholio and something that doesnt happen to much these days in this hobby :cool:

you should fit these into a decent size hatchback estates ....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

ok guys this thread has been reported a few times this morning.

The rules are clear:

First person to make a clear offer on thread is first in line.

Everything before Ronans offer of "full price" was just expression of interest.

There is to be no pming before offer is accepted on thread.

These rules are set down because boards is generous enough to allow our group to sell amongst ourselves. Every time something like this comes up everyone goes crazy and starts breaking the rules.

Mitch can you please confirm on thread that Ronan who offered full price first, is first in line.

Can you accept offer on thread before pm please.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

Ok Ronan as per the rules it looks like it yours
    Offer accepted.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Ok Ronan as per the rules it looks like it yours
    Offer accepted.

Cheers

Thanks Mitch. Can you send me on details etc and dimensions too so i can make sure it can fit it through my door lol.

Thanks a lot Mitch.

If Mitch decides to offer his stuff for sale on here, can everyone please brush up on the rules in the charter please. No pming before offer accepted on thread.

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Thanks a lot Mitch.

If Mitch decides to offer his stuff for sale on here, can everyone please brush up on the rules in the charter please. No pming before offer accepted on thread.

Thanks everyone.

Sorry my bad, i wanted to see the machine first before offering money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

eddhorse wrote: »
    Sorry my bad, i wanted to see the machine first before offering money.

Just to help out, as big purchases like this do come with concerns...but something like "offer asking pending inspection" or something would count as an offer, while giving you the freedom to back out if it's not to your expectations etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Would be very interested if any more come up on here Mitch and I mightn't dilly dally as much next time before offering :P

Thanks again Ciderman for the generous offer to even ask about transporting it. Very much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Thanks again Ciderman for the generous offer to even ask about transporting it. Very much appreciated.

+1 on that, very nice gesture Cidey

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah, sure a trip to the real capital will have to wait!

Hi,

Ive reviewed this thread again after getting notified of something.

Ronan, you edited your original post AFTER edhorse and cornholio offered asking price.

Only after you edited it, did you add in the offer of full price. This is bad form and against the spirit of this forum and the arcade and retro regulars that use it. Its probably too late now as i only spotted this after the fact, ill be more diligent in future.

The actual order should be

1) Eddhorse
    2) Corholio
    3) Ronanc100

This is the last time, ever, that i offer warnings on this forum. If you are selling or buying, a forum regular or not. the next time these rules are broken, its a straight ban from the Marketplace.

Review the rules please.

Ronan if you have any sort of fairness in you, you would give the two guys first refusal on the cab.. Since they did make their offers before you.

:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm so glad I don't have to mod this sub forum any more!
    Keep up the great work Optimus!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

These things can be hassle but fair dues to CiderMan for offering to help deliver it to Cork. Community is as strong as ever. Great bunch if lads on here. If it falls to Cork lad b4 me i might be able get it down for u too.

My offer still stands as 4th on line if other falls through. Just typing it again to be sure. Offered asking 500e to be 4th line.

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

large.gif

I thought i was losing my marbles last night alright, great mod work.
    Visiting Mitch tomorrow so i will update afterwards.

So I now read ive played against the rules on this one although from my point of view, in my original post I said I was very interested and to message me, Im sure that comment alone meant my intent to buy it first, the edit came in order re clarify my interest and cement things. I believe, I made the first offer by way of saying to message me to give info which i read cannot be done either.

I have a bit to travel and really wanted this machine and am in the middle of last minute organizing with Mitch. Now if theres a problem Ed or Mitch then tell me before I travel, Ed you have it then I'm sure ill find something down the line or maybe Mitch will have something else as ive been after something for a long long time.

Id also hazard a guess that if I buy this then require help on the forum (since its my first machine) then I probably wouldn't get it i suppose due to this. 😔

Remember my original post was to take things to a pm to seal the deal, which i thought was intended enogh as the price was non negotiable the edit was to cement as mentioned, obviously not cool, but again had to in order to highlight by efforts to seal things.

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    So I now read ive played against the rules on this one although from my point of view, in my original post I said I was very interested and to message me, Im sure that comment alone meant my intent to buy it first, the edit came in order re clarify my interest and cement things. I believe, I made the first offer by way of saying to message me to give info which i read cannot be done either.

I have a bit to travel and really wanted this machine and am in the middle of last minute organizing with Mitch. Now if theres a problem Ed or Mitch then tell me before I travel, Ed you have it then I'm sure ill find something down the line or maybe Mitch will have something else as ive been after something for a long long time.

Id also hazard a guess that if I buy this then require help on the forum (since its my first machine) then I probably wouldn't get it i suppose due to this. 😔

Remember my original post was to take things to a pm to seal the deal, which i thought was intended enogh as the price was non negotiable the edit was to cement as mentioned, obviously not cool, but again had to in order to highlight by efforts to seal things.

In fairness, I think the offer protocol is pretty clear for the Marketplace, an offer and an acceptance. I too said I was interested even earlier but that's clearly not an offer as I wanted to take a little time to think about it. You just had to make an offer, I don't know what you mean by 'efforts to seal things'. Edd made the first actual offer for it, the only intent to buy imo is an actual offer.

• Advertisement

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    So I now read ive played against the rules on this one although from my point of view, in my original post I said I was very interested and to message me, Im sure that comment alone meant my intent to buy it first, the edit came in order re clarify my interest and cement things.

I'll just offer my thoughts here to try help clarify the overall position (this forum has nothing to do with me, though I did advocate for it to grow beyond the mere trades/swaps only forum it used to be, and as such had a hand in creating the charter, so I know the spirit of the charter quite well).

Your explanation above seems cool, and I've no doubt that you meant well. The thread got messy quite quickly (damn Mitch and his bargains!) and I think a few things need to be understood to help make light of it all.

An expression of interest just can't be allowed to supersede an actual offer. It also can't be inferred that expression of interest, is an intention to buy. To expand, "I'll have a think about it", or "message me more details", comes second fiddle to "offer asking price". When you have a queue of offers forming, as a seller, it's not fair to be asked to hold an item for someone who hasn't expressly stated that they want it, and instead, are saying they're merely interested. This is why the charter states that the first person to make an actual offer, is first in line.

This is an old-school Adverts rule (way back when Adverts was an actual community marketplace like this one) and it worked very well there, and was considered a fair rule to boot. We decided to adopt it for here, & by and large it works. Up until now we've not yet seen posts edited to include offers that weren't there before, so to be fair to Optimus, that one slipped by (myself included). Looking at the times on the posts & edits, it's very clear that Eddhorse was the first person to make the offer, in line with the rules of the forum. Granted, we're getting down to semantics at this point, but again, "message me" just simply can't be construed as a formal offer (and indeed is a rule breach in itself as all dealing must happen on thread, offer, acceptance etc).
    I believe, I made the first offer by way of saying to message me to give info which i read cannot be done either.

I see where you're coming from, but really your post should have been "offer asking, please pm when you accept to discuss further details". Indeed, your edit was closer to this than your original post, so you obviously understood at the point of editing how offers etc work here.

I won't comment on any of this, as mentioned the thread got messy so prob best you sort it out between yourselves at this point. I'm just trying here to clarify where things stand from moderators position (Optimus in this case).

Nah, I don't think that's the way we roll dude.

For future reference:

1) Make an offer (an actual offer, asking price or whatever you like)
    2) Seller will review and respond accordingly
    3) If seller accepts, things go to pm
    4) If seller declines, review your offer upwards or pass on the item.

I had a quick look at the charter there, everything is covered in it but it looks like a bit of a wall of text. Would folks prefer a more condensed and streamlined one?

Myrddin wrote: »
    I see where you're coming from, but really your post should have been "offer asking, please pm when you accept to discuss further details". Indeed, your edit was closer to this than your original post, so you obviously understood at the point of editing how offers etc work here.

Thanks Myrddin, I understand fully. Re above I thought indeed my edit was closer your right, but the two words missing as you said "offer asking" are the two words of getting the cab. Its unfortunate, awaiting a reply from Mitch, I did really want it but from what i gather, its Ed's now, tomorrow.

An unfortunate run misunderstanding here.
    And, thankfully it doesn't happen very often and seems to be focused on in demand items, especially with big items that need consideration.
    To confirm what the other mods have said, it is the person that offers asking that is first in line.
    That's it.
    Now, there may be wiggle room when someone starts adding proviso's to their offer, as with Adverts, its when someone makes an unconditional offer of the asking price.
    There aren't any repercussions to rule breaks, but if its serious enough I'd expect people to be asked not to use the Marketplace again, for a while at least.

On a personal note, I would hope that people would be a little more sensitive to the fact that we are a community here, and a relatively small one at that
    If someone is clearly interested in an item and may need a little time, I would hope that as friends here we could see a little consideration for the intent of the rules rather than just the words of the charger itself, I speak as a poster rather than a moderator you understand.

Myrddin wrote: »
    I had a quick look at the charter there, everything is covered in it but it looks like a bit of a wall of text. Would folks prefer a more condensed and streamlined one?

It is quite beefy alright. +1 for streamlined one if you get some time.

And may i also say that this small community has been really enjoyable for me for quite a few years now, its really down to the people in it and the overlords that look after it ;)

Ronan, i can see your want for this so i will take that into consideration when i view it tomorrow.
    It might be easier than a more challenging restore project so might suit you better.
    Either way i will update you tomorrow.

Ed

It is quite beefy alright. +1 for streamlined one if you get some time.

And may i also say that this small community has been really enjoyable for me for quite a few years now, its really down to the people in it and the overlords that look after it ;)

Ronan, i can see your want for this so i will take that into consideration when i view it tomorrow.
    It might be easier than a more challenging restore project so might suit you better.
    Either way i will update you tomorrow.

Ed

I really appreciate that Ed. As well as it being a class looking cab with great history the fully running elements is perfect for me too as i wouldn't have the knowledge yet of starting a big project. Do, cheers.

I apologise in advance for doing this mods and making it more hassle than it's already been, but am I not next in line after Edd should he not take it?

Corholio wrote: »
    I apologise in advance for doing this mods and making it more hassle than it's already been, but am I not next in line after Edd should he not take it?

Correct. Sorry about that.

This thread is like a roller coaster. :)

I hate being the bad guy here, but the rules are pretty clear when it comes right down to it.

the section quoted below outlines it pretty well and i know the rules are long, but personally i dont think they can be condensed any further, everything in there is to try make grabbing a good bargain fair to all A&R regulars.
    Charter wrote:

First person in with an OFFER is first in line.

OFFER being in uppercase in the charter itself just the make the point that expression of interest doesnt count.

Correct. Sorry about that.

This thread is like a roller coaster. :)

No bother at all, no need to apologise.

Just want to put forward that the ease of it is also an advantage to me as I wouldn't have the knowledge for a project either. But that is of course only if you decide not to take it. Absolutely no problem either way :)

• Advertisement

I think this mess is my fault, if i just made my post clearer originally we wouldn't be in this mess. Its unfortunate I did not make myself clear in the first place ortherwise I'd be first in but I guess thats the rules. Enjoy the cab Ed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement