Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irel coffee essence??

Options
  • 10-11-2015 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Just wondering if anybody can enlighten me as to where I might be able to buy Irel as I haven't been able to find it in any supermarket for the last few months! I'm dying for a nice slice of coffee cake!

Alternatively, could anybody advise on an alternative?

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Was looking for a bottle this weekend....
    Super Valu are normally good for Ireland, but its gone!

Replaced by a UK brand oddly named 'Camp'.

It didn't taste as good as Irel

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Smiley11

Thanks for the reply BoJack..thats a pity now as I loved the Irel! Did you get the "Camp" in Super Valu or did you have to go elsewhere? I haven't seen it but don't know what I'm looking for so might have missed it.

I saw a few suggestions that you can make your own makeshift essence using coffee granules but I'm skeptical! Then againI'm seeing coffee cakes in shops & cafes so they must use an economical alternative!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Smiley11 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply BoJack..thats a pity now as I loved the Irel! Did you get the "Camp" in Super Valu or did you have to go elsewhere? I haven't seen it but don't know what I'm looking for so might have missed it.

I saw a few suggestions that you can make your own makeshift essence using coffee granules but I'm skeptical! Then againI'm seeing coffee cakes in shops & cafes so they must use an economical alternative!

Yeah.... Picked it up there and tried it in a coffee sponge.

It just. Wasn't the same.

It had less chicory per 100ml than the Irel & accordingly lacked 'oomfh'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

So for coffee cake sponge I use espresso. For the icing, I use epresso if I have access to a food processor, or instant coffee disolved in a tiny bit of water if i I have to do it by hand.

I've never actually bought irel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I've used 'instant espresso powder' before with good results. Picked up a bottle of Irel in a Centra store a year or two ago and it'll last a good while longer, used Camp before and didn't notice any difference... interesting that the chicory content is different, I wouldn't have thought to check!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

The alternative is a good coffee that you drink mixed with the minimum amount of hot water that will dissolve it giving you a good strong coffee mix. This can be used in the cake and in the icing. I used always use Irel but when it got hard to find i switched to the coffee and actually have not gone back as it gives no extra sweetness to the icing like Irel does which I find great as it's not as sweet when you add the bitterness of the dissolved coffee. I actually prefer it now and I was brought up on Irel coffee cake, it was the only cake my mother ever made, icing decorated by running a fork through the icing in alternate directions :)

Thanks so much for the information ladies (&/or gents!). I'll have to do a bit of experimentation & hopefully won't make a mess of it because I do love a tasty coffee cake & have a strong craving for it being 8 months pregnant! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Irel is still available in Dunnes :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Smiley11 wrote: »

I have a jar of Gold Blend instant coffee I only use for making cakes. I melt the granules with a small bit of boiling water and it makes a perfect coffee essence for cakes or icing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

The makeshift essence as you call it is actually more authentic coffee that the Irel or Camp brands which are mainly chicory based with only a little coffee and lots of sugar. We used to drink this when I was young (long time ago!) it was kind of the poor man's coffee as it was cheaper and you added it to hot milk for a passable coffee flavoured drink.

The Camp coffee is pretty the same as Irel, in the same shape bottle.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. I tried 3 Dunnes to no avail so used the instant coffee concoction & it turned out really well actually! I couldn't find the Camp either so I think its the easiest option to continue it the instant way as it tastes really good too! Everything tastes good to me at the moment in saying that! ;)

Advertisement