Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misled by Eir door to door salesman

• 10-11-2015 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi 

My elderly parents were recently convinced to change their full TV, broadband and phone package from UPC to Eir by an Eir door to door salesman. They were told by this salesman that there was no need to contact UPC to cancel their current package and that he would do all the switching. I got a little bit suspicious of this and contacted UPC to find that only the phone line had been switched and that they would have to give 30 days notice of cancelation to UPC. 

They have now exercised their right within the 14 day cooling off period to cancel everything from Eir both by ringing Eir and sending them a letter in the post. 

Can you tell me in what format and when they will receive confirmation of this cancelation? Obviously it is imperative that they receive this confirmation before the 14 days from installation are up. The Eir installation occurred on the 05/11/15

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Plum Bob wrote: »
    Hi 

My elderly parents were recently convinced to change their full TV, broadband and phone package from UPC to Eir by an Eir door to door salesman. They were told by this salesman that there was no need to contact UPC to cancel their current package and that he would do all the switching. I got a little bit suspicious of this and contacted UPC to find that only the phone line had been switched and that they would have to give 30 days notice of cancelation to UPC. 

They have now exercised their right within the 14 day cooling off period to cancel everything from Eir both by ringing Eir and sending them a letter in the post. 

Can you tell me in what format and when they will receive confirmation of this cancelation? Obviously it is imperative that they receive this confirmation before the 14 days from installation are up. The Eir installation occurred on the 05/11/15

Regards
    Hi Plum Bob

If you could please PM me the eir account or order number I will be happy to look in to this further for you

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gm1

Hi 

Regards
    OMG I came on here to see did anyone else have this problem! exact same thing happened me!!! I quizzed to make sure I didn't have to give 30 days notice and the two guys swore blind I didn't! Was so upset when I got a upc bill so now have 2 months of bills from upc on top of Eir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

gm1 wrote: »
    Hi 

Regards
    OMG I cam on here to see did anyone else have this problem! exact same thing happend me!!! I quizzed to make sure I didnt have to give 30 days notice and the two guys swore blind I didnt! Was so upset when I got a upc bill so now have 2 months of bills from upc on top of Eir!
    I'm very sorry to hear this gm1

It is always best to check these things with the operator in question - ultimately they should have this information provided in their terms and conditions. I will ensure to send on your feedback and should you wish to log a complaint about the rep please follow this link and fill out the form: https://www.eir.ie/logacomplaint.jsp

Thanks
    Al

These guys came to my house were offered tea and all, I quizzed them as I knew it sounded weird but they assured me they had a deal with UPC to do the switch on my behalf,  30 days notice needed and no need for me to contact UPC. They flat out lied to me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Personally I have had numerous of these Eir/Eircom reps call to my door over the last few years and to be honest Eir should train them alot better.

The door to door sales crowd will do anything and say anything to make a sale, I had 1 guy call to my house and I had just moved from Eir to Sky (3 months into my sky contract) and he told me out straight that I could switch back with no penalty at all from sky which is untrue when your in a contract. Its not that hard for them to tell you the truth but most of them are only concerned with the sale which is just shocking for a company of Eir's size.

• Advertisement

Wow makes me think they are training them to say that to get people to switch that is truly awful!

The stress this has caused me the last two months especially when you can't seem to talk to anyone from complaints, I was left with no response to getting answers until I complained on twitter. 

Still it should never have happened and the sales people saying this just to get a sale (if it's not Eirs training that is) should be seriously reprimanded!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Every Friday nearly they are at my door, they are nearly as pushy as the Vodafone lads, I dont entertain them and have a sign up warning away any salesman from the door, they have scammed my neighbours 17 year old to switching from Vodafone to Eircom with no consent from their mother until she got 2 bills in the door and queried it - good training and not lying goes a long way in a role like that...

I say that as someone who does door to door work - but not of the sales kind... :)

Advertisement