Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waffle maker

Options
  • 10-11-2015 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I have no idea where I should post this and if this is a ridiculously stupid question! I want to buy a waffle maker for my OH for her birthday but she is obsessed with starwars and she saw a deathstar waffle maker online so I'd like to surprise her with it. The only problem is that I can only find sellers from the US who have them. My question is, will an electrical appliance from America work in Europe? I know that the voltage strengths are different but I'm not sure if there is a way around this, perhaps with a converter? I don't want to buy it and then find out that we can't use it. Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Oh this is what it says in the specifications: Electrical Plug: Type B socket (American, grounded) 110V ~ 60Hz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

The short answer is no. At twice the voltage (as we have in Ireland) you'll get 4 times more power through a resistive element, which means it will over heat if it's a simple resistive element. If it has any electronics they'll probably blow up and it's plausible that the devices wiring, insulation and clearances also are not rated for the higher voltage.

You could use a transformer to give you 110V (the yellow boxes they use on building sites, there's probably also one in your shaving light in the bathroom although likely not rated for the current required for your waffle iron) but that seems like a lot of effort for a waffle iron. Although if it is simply a resistive element you could wire two of them in series!!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

The voltage isn't as big an issue as the Watts.

If it uses 1500W or less, you could use this transformer from Amazon UK - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goldsource-ST-1500-1500-Voltage-Converter/dp/B00ADQIAF8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1447175272&sr=8-2&keywords=220v+to+110v+converter+1500w

A typical waffle maker uses between 800-1500W, but I don't see an exact spec for this particular model out there. Similar ones seem to use around 1200W, so that transformer should work. Of course, it costs way more than the waffle maker :)

Voltage is entirely the issue, hence why you need a transformer. Power (wattage) is a byproduct of voltage times current, in the electrical sense power doesn't exist without voltage.

If you plug in a resistive element rated for US 110V in Ireland it will pull 4x its rated power BECAUSE of the higher voltage, a transformer will reduce the voltage thus resulting in the device using less power.

As you point out the OP would need a transformer rated for the device power, but that's only to prevent the transformer from getting damaged (or shutting off to protect itself). I agree though it seems excessive for a waffle iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

spideog7 wrote: »
    Voltage is entirely the issue

No, it isn't, as anyone would realize they need to convert to 110V. Many people would never look at the power requirements, and do what my father did - plug an American coffee maker into a 220-110 converter rated for shavers. It sure didn't smell like coffee.

No, it isn't, as anyone would realize they need to convert to 110V

That is an unsafe assumption to make. The OP never alluded to the fact that they might need a transformer, one possible answer to their query is that they need a transformer.

Your point about the power rating is answering the next question the OP might ask when looking for an appropriate transformer but it's not answering the question they did ask.

The OP asked 2 questions, in my original reply I provided 2 paragraphs each answering (respectively) one of the OPs questions. Perhaps I should have made that clearer by quoting the questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I'd say the opposite!

First thing you need to look at, whether AC or DC is voltage. Second thing is polarity - more so with DC. Power is important, but honestly there are times it's not even necessary to consider. A transformer/converter/adaptor is sometimes pretty obviously rated for the power requirements of the device. for example, that yellow site transformer will most certainly work for your waffle iron or shaver.

OP, perhaps you can find a dual/universal voltage iron? Not typical with an appliance with heating elements, but you never know. Certainly, 220V is out there. Not so sure about Deathstar versions though...

Advertisement