Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple TV 3 - Setting up without remote

• 10-11-2015 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭

I recently got hold an Apple TV 3 (A1427) and admittedly I'm not into Apple products usually so been trying to figure out this.

I don't have a remote for it, I have set it back to factory settings via USB. On the welcome screen it mentions about having to set it up with a bluetooth keyboard, or the Apple iPad/iPhone etc too, which I do not have. I have tried the Remote app on a friends iPad but it seems perhaps that the Apple TV box hasn't been set to allow home sharing etc, which is why I want to get into the settings to change.

Is there any other way of getting past this screen to set it up? Is there any app that can be used as a bluetooth keyboard? Of course I'll just end up finding one from somewhere if there is no other way around it.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

I seem to recall having a similar problem before, remote broken and I reset apple TV but could not find anywork around. Tried apps with bluetooth keyboards but could not get anyto work. Ended up just getting my hands on a new remote I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭djdunny

Corholio wrote: »
    I recently got hold an Apple TV 3 (A1427) and admittedly I'm not into Apple products usually so been trying to figure out this.

I don't have a remote for it, I have set it back to factory settings via USB. On the welcome screen it mentions about having to set it up with a bluetooth keyboard, or the Apple iPad/iPhone etc too, which I do not have. I have tried the Remote app on a friends iPad but it seems perhaps that the Apple TV box hasn't been set to allow home sharing etc, which is why I want to get into the settings to change.

Is there any other way of getting past this screen to set it up? Is there any app that can be used as a bluetooth keyboard? Of course I'll just end up finding one from somewhere if there is no other way around it.

Thanks for any advice.

OP have a look at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202788.

Looks like you can set up a 3rd gen ATV with an iOS device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Separately if above does not work you can download a bluetooth keyboard emulator onto a PC or a Mac that has bluetooth.

this will work for you. I had to do this myself.

Advertisement