Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Need Help choosing Oil for a 2 stroke MX bike

• 10-11-2015 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi all,

I am just getting into a little off-road riding. I have a 2003 KTM sx 125.
    I am just wondering is their specific 2 stroke oil that I should use in the bike or will normally 2 stroke oil do the trick.

I am going to change the transmission oil soon and am not sure what I am supposed to use. Fully synthetic or semi synthetic ?

If anyone has any general maintenance tips that will keep the bike working it would be great.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Get a good Silkolene or Fuchs full-synth 2T from a bike shop.

Oh, just saw the rest of your question. For the gearbox, use a 15W-50 motorcycle engine oil, that is a JASO-MA/MA2 compliant blend suitable for wet-clutches. I hear some people use ATF in those things, but I think that way lies madness. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

For transmission oil, use a good quality gearbox oil designed for two stroke gearboxes. I use Rock Oil Lite Gear oil, in mine but I think KTM spec Motorex as their oil of choice. Funny stuff gearbox oil, it can markedly change the feel of a clutch. Best to get a couple of different types and try them both after each other then you may get a better feel for what works best.
    I think most gear oil is semi not full syn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

CJhaughey wrote: »
    For transmission oil, use a good quality gearbox oil designed for two stroke gearboxes. I use Rock Oil Lite Gear oil, in mine but I think KTM spec Motorex as their oil of choice. Funny stuff gearbox oil, it can markedly change the feel of a clutch. Best to get a couple of different types and try them both after each other then you may get a better feel for what works best.
    I think most gear oil is semi not full syn.

Yes, KTM specify Motorex Top Speed 15W-50, which is a 90% synthetic JASO-MA2 compliant engine oil, like most motorcycle transmissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fmj123

Thanks very much lads. Id like to put the right stuff in it rather than any old stuff ðŸ‘Â

Advertisement