Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Fishing over Winter

Options
  • 10-11-2015 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi lads,

Is there any spots worth fishing for rainbow trout on the fly during the winter? I'm in Cork but willing to travel.

Also any advise on tactics/flies?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

Ballyhass Lake in Mallow. Also, Eclipse Ireland down by Kenmare stocks brown trout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

A few stockie lakes in south Tip, Carrignavantry in Waterford, Ballyhass has declined in recent years imo but still occasionally good craic

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

The old fashioned season of 6 months was a good idea. Unless you go to a place that trickle stocks you will have a hard time indeed. No matter what anyone says rainbow trout do not winter well. I estimate 90% mortality due to lack of food. Catch and release is a farce. If you catch too many it is overstocked. There are places where people catch 50 a day, return them and wonder why there is nothing next week. This is one area the Brits have right, stocking is a real art of timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Tippjohn wrote: »
    ...There are places where people catch 50 a day, return them and wonder why there is nothing next week...
    Thanks for your post. Why is this? Is it because there is a high rate of mortality in catch and release?

After half a century of rainbow fishing my observations are that becasue they fight so hard, are usually handled badly and are artificially heathy for their heart size, they expire from shock. Still rather than clean moving water has an affect. If catch and release works why do they have to continually stock. You do not have to stock coarse fisheries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lumberjacket

Piggybacking onto this with my own question as it's related and didn't want to make a new post, mods feel free to split if i'm in the wrong.

I'm likewise wondering what my options are for winter fishing. I just moved home after a few years away and i've never fished in ireland, but really got into it the last few years abroad. Not much interest in spinning lures, i prefer the fly, but amn't above worm and float if it comes to it. I've never surf fished before, but would be open to it.

I'll be spending the next few months in Kerry in the killorglin/killarney area. Are there any relatively close options to get a line wet? I'm not focused on any particular species, or worried at all about size. I'll happily spend a few hours catching little coarse fish and putting them back. From my reading it seems like Kerry and coarse fishing are two words that dont really go together? It seems like my best bet would either be head back toward Dingle and learn to surf fish, or hit up the lower lake in killarney and see what's active? any advice appreciated!

Piggybacking onto this with my own question as it's related and didn't want to make a new post, mods feel free to split if i'm in the wrong.

I'm likewise wondering what my options are for winter fishing. I just moved home after a few years away and i've never fished in ireland, but really got into it the last few years abroad. Not much interest in spinning lures, i prefer the fly, but amn't above worm and float if it comes to it. I've never surf fished before, but would be open to it.

I'll be spending the next few months in Kerry in the killorglin/killarney area. Are there any relatively close options to get a line wet? I'm not focused on any particular species, or worried at all about size. I'll happily spend a few hours catching little coarse fish and putting them back. From my reading it seems like Kerry and coarse fishing are two words that dont really go together? It seems like my best bet would either be head back toward Dingle and learn to surf fish, or hit up the lower lake in killarney and see what's active? any advice appreciated!

I fish mostly for salmon and trout in Killarney. On the off season I visit eclipse Ireland the odd time.

I have heard that bass fishing is excellent in Kerry, so maybe that would be something to explore? plenty info on google! Down around Waterville/ Ballinskelligs seems like a productive spot.

...or hit up the lower lake in killarney...
    To the best of my (very limited) knowledge, the lower lake in Killarney (Lough Leane) would be predominantly brown trout and therefore way out of season.

garancafan wrote: »
    To the best of my (very limited) knowledge, the lower lake in Killarney (Lough Leane) would be predominantly brown trout and therefore way out of season.

There are plenty perch, roach, and tench in there too! Salmon and trout are by far the most popular targets..

There are plenty perch, roach, and tench in there too!

Can they be taken on a fly though?

• Advertisement

garancafan wrote: »
    Can they be taken on a fly though?
    In certain areas of the lake, if you fish a sinking line you will pick up plenty perch and roach..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

BrownTrout wrote: »
    A few stockie lakes in south Tip, Carrignavantry in Waterford, Ballyhass has declined in recent years imo but still occasionally good craic

Where are the stocked lakes in South Tipp?

None in S Tipp that I know of? The Waterford ones are hard going in the winter.

Tippjohn wrote: »
    None in S Tipp that I know of? The Waterford ones are hard going in the winter.

That's what I thought. The closest is on the Waterford/Kilkenny border.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mikeweed

Ardaire Springs in Mooncoin (Waterford/Kilkenny border) has unreal fishing all year round. Trout to over 20lbs. The have their own stock pond where they raise their own fish. Last week a cracking 13lbs rainbow was landed. Every fish fights extremley hard. I use 8lbs leader and I get broken off plenty of times. Even the trout of about 4-5lbs will take you down to the backing on your reel. Its not alway easy fishing, some time you will have to work hard for a fish but when there is a rise on....the lake just comes alive.

It sounds like a well managed water, who have it right, with their ability to stock fish that only go from pond to lake. as it should be done.

mikeweed wrote: »
    Ardaire Springs in Mooncoin (Waterford/Kilkenny border) has unreal fishing all year round. Trout to over 20lbs. The have their own stock pond where they raise their own fish. Last week a cracking 13lbs rainbow was landed. Every fish fights extremley hard. I use 8lbs leader and I get broken off plenty of times. Even the trout of about 4-5lbs will take you down to the backing on your reel. Its not alway easy fishing, some time you will have to work hard for a fish but when there is a rise on....the lake just comes alive.

I fished here for the first time during the summer and had a great day. I didn't catch anything but you are right. There are some massive trout in the lake and they fight like hell!!

Advertisement