Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 Limerick to Cork

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and about time too....can't wait to bypass those depressing provincial towns charleville, mallow, buttervant etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

fryup wrote: »
    and about time too....can't wait to bypass those depressing provincial towns charleville, mallow, buttervant etc

Wow, you must reside in some spectacular location!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

2017 and it's gonna be almost another decade before the 2nd and 3rd largest cities in Ireland, and by extension connecting Cork to the rest of the west of Ireland, get's a decent road. If it wasn't so pathetic it'd be hilarious. Should've been put in place, what... 20 years ago maybe? Oh this country... gotta love it. For me it just cements my theory that all governments in recent memory have only ever cared about Dublin and to hell with the remaining 25 of us.

Mallow's not too bad, but agreed the other two are a nightmare. Especially the road between Buttevant and Mallow, probably the worst stretch on the Limerick/Cork route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

So after 20 years a taoiseach has committed to building this motorway

And still people find reason to complain

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

yep, we're a nation of moaners

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mitresize5 wrote: »
    So after 20 years a taoiseach has committed to building this motorway

And still people find reason to complain

Its not 20 years. FF committed to this road around 10 years ago and it was before An Bord Pleanala in 2011 when our new Taoiseach (and then transport minister) cancelled it, wasting 3 or 4 years of planning and around €15m. The road could be under construction or even finished now I'd it hadn't been canned by Leo. Instead we're back to the start of the planning process and 7-8 years away from the road opening.

Was that the 2011 when the country was on its knees, the only way public service wages were being paid was by the grace of the IMF and 4000 people a week were leaving the country to put food on their table?

Or was it a different 2011?

How anyone can bitch about todays news is beyond me.

Was that the 2011 when the country was on its knees, the only way public service wages were being paid was by the grace of the IMF and 4000 people a week were leaving the country to put food on their table?

Or was it a different 2011?

How anyone can bitch about todays news is beyond me.

The point is that its not the first time in 20 years a Taoiseach has committed to the M20 and it was in fact the current Taoiseach who canned it. They could have let it go through planning and shelved it rather than axing it completely. Then we'd just have to unshelve it rather than starting from scratch again.

And nobody is bitching about the news, just the fact that this road should have been built years ago, rather than still being years away.

The government were literally searching down the back of couches for fivers and tenners in 2011. The largess of the EU and IMF was keeping hospitals open.

Of course it was canned, was peoples expectations that money would be spent on planning, 20 million is what is budgeted this time, with no idea if it could be started before the planning lapsed.

Anyway I'm out of this discussion, If people are finding reason to moan today I've no interest in being part of it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The government were literally searching down the back of couches for fivers and tenners in 2011. The largess of the EU and IMF was keeping hospitals open.

Of course it was canned, was peoples expectations that money would be spent on planning, 20 million is what is budgeted this time, with no idea if it could be started before the planning lapsed.

Anyway I'm out of this discussion, If people are finding reason to moan today I've no interest in being part of it.
    €20 million is enough to get this to the CPO stage. I was hoping for €12-15m.

We've spent enough time complaining as you say. Can we not be happy that this is finally back on the table

• Advertisement

The money had already been spent on planning when it was canned. It wouldn't have cost any extra to let ABP make a decision. Again I'd like you to point out where people are complaining about the decision to reactivate the project. You're seeing things that aren't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Ah jasus, Buttevant is a grand spot

(For a traffic survey)

Advertisement