Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Future proof" High-end VR Build

Options
  • 10-11-2015 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys,

I'm going to be ordering the components for a new PC build next week. I haven't built one in over a decade. The last one I bought was of the shelf, and that was over 5 years ago. I'm a bit out of the loop, but I've been doing a load of research the last couple of weeks and want to make sure I'm on the right track with everything. I'd really appreciate some reassurance or advice please.

This machine will be mainly for VR gaming with the HTC Vive when it releases next year (I'll move it to a separate room at that point). In the meantime it will be hooked up to a 40inch led smart TV in my tiny bedroom, so I've gone for stuff that will keep it fairly quiet I hope.

I've already bought the case (an NZXT Phantom 410). My remaining budget for the build is 1300 - 1400.

Parts:

i7 5820k - 389.94 (I'm thinking the 6 cores and multi threading will be a safeguard for future games and VR stuff that uses DX12)

MSI x99A SLI Plus - 216.95 (I'll probably add an extra graphics card down the line for crossfire)

Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro - 336.62 (I'm not sure whether to spend the extra and go for the 390x. From what I've read there's only a slight difference in fps between them, and the 390x is nearly 100 more. Would the higher spec model make a huge difference for VR?)

8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 - 56.15 (I'll upgrade to more later if and when it's necessary)

240GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD - 106.61

Thermalright Truespirit 140 BW Rev A. Tower - 43.61 (Would I need liquid cooling for this machine, or would that be overkill? The cooling is the aspect I'm least unsure about to be honest. I don't mind investing in liquid cooling if it's going to come in handy later on)

1050W Seasonic X series modular 80+ Gold (hybrid)- 158.19 (I've read that maximum efficiency is around 50% load. Am I right in thinking that this PSU will help save money on the electric bill? I know the saving will probably be negated by the cost of the PSU, but I'm in a house share where we split the bills, so looking for efficiency. Also my last PC died because the power supply went, so I'll happily spend the extra for a decent quality one)

Total cost: 1308.07 - All prices from Mind Factory

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'd personally drop the i7 to a 6700k and a Z170 board to knock €100 off, and drop the PSU to a 600w Silver, which would knock another €80 or so off it.

I'd then up the GPU to a 390X, and DDR4 ram will add about a tenner too.

The build you have won't pull over 500w, if you use my changes it'll use a little more, while efficiency does peak at about 50%, there's about a 2% efficiency difference between 50% and 80%, so it's very slight given.

A typical kettle uses about 4/5 times as much energy as a PC over the same timespan, so I wouldn't worry about your energy draw.

As per my choices, I don't think the 6 core i7 is justified over the quad, that's just my opinion there. The extra 4gb VRAM in the 390X will be a lot more useful than those two cores in VR

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cillitboom

Hi Digital,

Thanks for the suggestions and advice, I'll look into the 6700k a bit more before I buy. I might reduce the PCU and put that saving into the higher spec graphics card. I was wondering though, do the 390 and 390x not both have 8gb of ram, or is it a different type of ram on the x model?

This is the one I was going to go for... http:// www. mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8192MB-Sapphire-Radeon-R9-390-Nitro-inkl--Backplate-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--_1012937. html

And this is the x model... http:// www. mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8192MB-Sapphire-Radeon-R9-390X-Tri-X-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Lite-Retail-_1005950. html

I read they are essentially the same card with the only difference being that the number of texture shaders is higher on the 390x. Is that true, and would that in itself make a big difference in a VR experience?

I'll mention the kettle thing to my housemates if they start moaning. I don't drink tea or coffee so sounds like we'll all be square :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Indeed it does,I thought the 390 only had 4gb.

In that case, you'll want to wait until someone who knows more about VR than I do comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Digitals build suggestions would be a better way to go.

Faster cpu cores over more cores in this case. Especially when you factor in extra cost to real world performance /value. And that money reducing the gpu choice.

Most games lean on the gpu. With the exception of some open world games with large areas and Ai calculations the cpu gets used more too. Again the faster four core i7 cpu will out perform the slower six core one.

If I was to put money on something. It would be a bet that by the time the six core i7 is useful in gaming. Your rig will be so outdated it won't matter anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As you've mentioned DX12 is coming, that actually reduces CPU load for the same graphical output so even if games get "heavier" CPU requirements should stay relatively static.

I'm able to run Star Citizen(the new Crysis) on a 7 year old CPU.

Res is 2400x1080 so it'll be sort of demanding, but still easier than QHD. Grab the 390x and you should do just fine. As a first time I'd leave the watercooling out of it unless you want to buy a 295x2. CPU wont be the noisy bit, GPU will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If you are trying to keep noise levels down a gtx 970 would probably be a better option. It uses nearly 100w less power than the 390x.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭laneooo

I had the MSI 390x couldn't handle the noise had to sell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

laneooo wrote: »
    I had the MSI 390x couldn't handle the noise had to sell it.

I had the same card and found it really quiet? :confused:

I had the same card and found it really quiet? :confused:
    Ha well i wanted utter silence so... that was my first card so maybe overall it is quiet for the higher end cards but when i was reading up about em the 390x was at 40db and the 970 was 30db suppose it depends on your environment.

Ha well i wanted utter silence so... that was my first card so maybe overall it is quiet for the higher end cards but when i was reading up about em the 390x was at 40db and the 970 was 30db suppose it depends on your environment.

Stock 970 is also 40db, obviously certain custom coolers would be quieter but that would also go for the 390x.

Both stock models are the same noise wise, and custom coolers are on-par also for the most part.

My MSI Gaming 390X was no louder than my previous 970, can't remember but think it was a Palit non-reference.

• Advertisement

My MSI Gaming 390X was no louder than my previous 970, can't remember but think it was a Palit non-reference.

Have you tried the MSI 970? was thinking of getting one just after Christmas as people mostly say it the quietest but if its the same noise wise then i dunno

I don't know what you're expecting, though. If you want a really silent card, some models like the Strix have a 0db fan unless you're actually gaming - though I think the MSI gaming models have a similar feature.

In terms of actually gaming under load, 35-40db isn't really criminal at all, fairly average. If you want far quieter, you're looking at either very expensive models, or a watercooling/custom air cooling job really.

The reference 290 and 290X reached 60db, for example - now that is unacceptable.

Yeah my 390x had 0db until it hit 60c.
    Yeah you're probably right might have to spend a bit more than i expected.
    The MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning is getting great reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I have a pair of GB Gaming 970's in SLI. With a custom fan profile the fans stay at minimum speed even under full gaming load for hours. The sound never changes from idle since the fans don't change speed. Overclocked to 1500 MHz and temps generally stay in the 60's, might hit as high as 72 degrees with something like Far Cry 4 running for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Water cooling is never the way to go for a quiet machine, there'll be much higher fan noise (from having to force air through a tightly packed radiator), fluid noise, and pump noise.

All for results that are only marginally better, and at higher cost, than a top line air cooler.

Never understood the appeal myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

BloodBath wrote: »
    If you are trying to keep noise levels down a gtx 970 would probably be a better option. It uses nearly 100w less power than the 390x.

On that resolution and VR? I'd stick with AMD, unless Pascal changes anything. Right now, Maxwell doesn't cater towards Computational DX12 or VR very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Yeah my 390x had 0db until it hit 60c.
    Yeah you're probably right might have to spend a bit more than i expected.
    The MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning is getting great reviews

It would want them lol at it's price-point, nearly double that of a 970.
    IMO wait for Pascal and Arctic Islands, because the gains we should see will be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    On that resolution and VR? I'd stick with AMD, unless Pascal changes anything. Right now, Maxwell doesn't cater towards Computational DX12 or VR very well.

And how many DX12 games are on the market currently? How many VR games?

The answer to both is 0 and it's not going to change much in the next 12 months.

It will be time to upgrade again by the time either are relevant.

Advertisement