Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep of Ireland (1) vs Bosnia (1), Euro qualifier playoff 2nd leg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

CSF wrote: »
    This is rubbish to be fair. Do you think they were just sauntering around for the rest of the match, not bothered or something?

Did you ever consider that they were a bit wary of conceding an away goal? A 0-0 draw would have been no disaster for them. As it is when they did concede they came back at us almost instantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Did you ever consider that they were a bit wary of conceding an away goal? A 0-0 draw would have been no disaster for them. As it is when they did concede they came back at us almost instantly.
    If they were able to cut us open with minimal effort, sure what would they have to worry about conceding one puny away goal. They scored one goal, more to do with poor defending from Ireland on this one occasion than any brilliance on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Now don't get me wrong, he has an awful long way to fill the boots of the man he replaced, but I kinda like darragh Maloney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The worrying thing is that once they were stung into action they cut us open with minimal errort. If they come at us with real purpose they have players that can inflict damage. Still think they are the better side out of two poor teams tbh.

Minimal effort = McLean switching off. Besides that they really struggled to do anything against our defence, even their common long ball tactic was cut out superbly by Clark and Keogh time and time again. Look at how frustrated Pjanic was getting near the end, thumping the ball away. We kept them well at bay and I think the team deserves credit for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

tastyt wrote: »
    Now don't get me wrong, he has an awful long way to fill the boots of the man he replaced, but I kinda like darragh Maloney.

There's no one will ever replace Bill and in fairness to Darragh he's never tried to. He has his own style and he's very likeable. The bit with Liam Brady tonight when Liam said Robbie Brady had a great name and Darragh replied "ya, Robbie" was hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Although I'm happy with the 1-1, it's yet another Ireland game that has you saying "if only we did this..." or "if only we did that..." to hold out for those last 8 minutes which would've finally ended that run of not beating a higher ranked team away from home in....I don't even know how long.

It's mad to think that if you told me a few hours ago we'd be disappointed to only get a 1-1 but I suppose we all would've taken the hand and all of it was offered.
    It's all set up for a shut-up-shop job on Monday night I think, Bosnia to ably won't be as bad but at least we've a few to strengthen the team. Dzeko looked in a bit of trouble with the groin at the end so it'd be a blow to them if he's out.

We'll be the happier side after tonight but still on a knife edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Corholio wrote: »
    Minimal effort = McLean switching off. Besides that they really struggled to do anything against our defence, even their common long ball tactic was cut out superbly by Clark and Keogh time and time again. Look at how frustrated Pjanic was getting near the end, thumping the ball away. We kept them well at bay and I think the team deserves credit for that.

And absolutely credit where it's due. I still suspect the Bosnians have another gear that they can move up through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

And absolutely credit where it's due. I still suspect the Bosnians have another gear that they can move up through.

Based on what exactly do you watch them much, they at home against an injury hit side scored once due to bad defending.

With players coming back and home advantage we are in a great position.

• M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Price for 1-1 tonight?

Hangover cure :)

Gutted we conceeded so soon after scoring but a big result last night.
    Please say we can finish the job Monday with players coming back we can score in Dublin.
    I'm hoping the atmosphere is as good or better than the Germany game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I think Randolph has been a good find the last few games. Has looked solid.

yup he's much quicker and can kick the ball so much better... was a blessing in disguise that Given got injured against Germany... He played well against Germany as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Does Martin o'neill ever get any credit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Will o shea come back in considering how well the pairing done in the centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Dots1982 wrote: »

He has the most average ireland team in my footballing life a stones throw away from the euros...credit is deserved.

Although trapatoni got us there and that almost night in Paris too with an equally as crap team. And his reputation fell apart after the euros for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ask me on Tuesday morning.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

MarkY91 wrote: »
    He has the most average ireland team in my footballing life a stones throw away from the euros...credit is deserved.

Although trapatoni got us there and that almost night in Paris too with an equally as crap team. And his reputation fell apart after the euros for us

No way was it equally as bad the team.

Dunne
    given
    Keane
    Duff

All in their prime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Trappatoni's team was far better than this one. It had Richard Dunne for god's sake.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    No way was it equally as bad the team.

Dunne
    given
    Keane
    Duff

All in their prime.

And he had the Hoolahans and Longs and Colemans too, he just preferred the likes of Cox, Sammon and Green...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Let's not forget that O'Neill is the first Irish manager in history to finish as low as 3rd and still have a back-door play-off. Previous managers have been sacked simply for finishing 3rd. He's been lucky in that regard. Trapp (as bad as he was) finished 2nd both times. We'll need to finish 2nd in the WC qualifiers to get a play-off so an improvement is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Great result after a gritty workmanlike performance. Thought Whelan and McCarthy did a great job of shielding the back four and Murphy tirelessly provided something to play to. McClean provided a lot of energy when he came on - shame he switched off for a split second.

We can ****ing do this lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Let's not forget that O'Neill is the first Irish manager in history to finish as low as 3rd and still have a back-door play-off. Previous managers have been sacked simply for finishing 3rd. He's been lucky in that regard. Trapp (as bad as he was) finished 2nd both times. We'll need to finish 2nd in the WC qualifiers to get a play-off so an improvement is required.

The only thing that can stop us now is if we bottle it. Under MON that's unlikely to happen. We finished 3rd in a very difficult group, an unusually strong group. Let's not forget that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Will o shea come back in considering how well the pairing done in the centre?

Difficult one. I'd guess no, as he hasn't been playing for his club due to injury.
    Plus Clark and Keogh did well

I guess Wilson will replace Ward, but we'll see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I guess Wilson will replace Ward, but we'll see

Ward cannot start on Monday he's a major liability at the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

yeah this is a intuitive way of looking at things. Never mind the quality of opposition or how the seeding affected the draws. Cant beat the statistical expertise of some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

jones wrote: »
    Ward cannot start on Monday he's a major liability at the back

He would be an average player at best, but to be playing a guy who has had one game this season in such an important game was never going to end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

I think Trap had easier groups than Martin in his three qualifying campaigns. We could argue that the WC 2014 group was on par with our Euro 2016 group but I think the inclusion of Scotland (local rivalry) gives 2016 the edge on the toughness stakes.

World Cup 2010 was had a rapidly declining Bulgarian outfit and an Italian team that wasn't as strong as previous sides (that turned out to be the case at the World Cup in that year when they failed to qualify from their group). Euro 2012 - Russia, Slovakia and Armenia.. Again, not the toughest. 2014 - Finished 4th in a group containing Germany, Sweden & Austria, he deserved to lose his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was pretty shocked at the honesty of Stephen Ward in his post-match comments. From RTE:
    “It was difficult to be honest with you,” Ward said afterwards.

“Since the last game I have gone another month without playing. It’s something that I’m going to have to address because it’s difficult to step into games like this.

“If we had a fully fit squad I may not have started, but I was happy to go out there and give it my best.”

I'm really hoping Wilson gets the nod now on Monday.

yeah this is a intuitive way of looking at things. Never mind the quality of opposition or how the seeding affected the draws. Cant beat the statistical expertise of some

Imagine that poster got 5 "thanks" for his insightful comment.

Revealing about the level of knowledge and standard of posting with some around here.

With some he won't. There are posters here that have disappeared from the Ireland pages since we got to the play offs, they'll be back if we don't qualify.

Everyone's got an opinion but those posters are irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

TheCitizen wrote: »
    With some he won't. There are posters here that have disappeared from the Ireland pages since we got to the play offs, they'll be back if we don't qualify.

Everyone's got an opinion but those posters are irrelevant.

Or - as was proven during the Trappatoni regime - they'll wait until we lose games in the competition proper to the best sides in the world and use that as justification that they were "right".

Anytime an Irish squad as limited as post Roy Keane era vintages qualify for a tournament it should be viewed as a significant achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's very frustrating that we conceded that equalizer. It's typical Ireland not to be able to hold out for an away victory like that. But it's still a fantastic scoreline. Really looking forward to Lansdowne now on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

For me, I'm unsure on him. He set up the team well yesterday and against Germany, but then he messed it up against Poland. Not saying we would have won that game, but it seems more comfortable with Brady further up the pitch.

The horrible football people don't like. It was a large part of why people wanted Trap gone, and now it's continued. Not surprising given who is involved, it seems effective when the team selection is right.

I don't like his insistence on Whelan though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Whelan was excellent last night. He was very shaky early on with his passing but he worked like a dog for 90 minutes and himself and McCarthy did a great job of protecting the back four.

I've watched Stoke a few times this season and have to say, he's been great. He won the Sky Sports MOTM award in their Monday night away win at Swansea.

He's not a ball player, he's a stopper. And he does it well.

Revealing about the level of knowledge and standard of posting with some around here.

Theres a heap of this type of "expert" all stats and figures but zero common sense or understanding of numbers. Its gas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

Nib wrote: »
    Whelan was excellent last night. He was very shaky early on with his passing but he worked like a dog for 90 minutes and himself and McCarthy did a great job of protecting the back four.

I've watched Stoke a few times this season and have to say, he's been great. He won the Sky Sports MOTM award in their Monday night away win at Swansea.

He's not a ball player, he's a stopper. And he does it well.

He does it well against a certain class of team or lower. Against teams who've had their house in order, particularly in midfield, they've played right through him. There's times when he's caught in possession and you fear for what will happen. Him and Ward (if Ward plays) would be two men the Bosnians will be looking to target and pressurise into making a mistake on Monday night.

He's no playmaker, that's true, he very much attempts to stop play. That's no good to Ireland, though, when they're one-nil down, looking to create a goal. Then, his back-passing ways quickly lose their luster.

I seem to remember people talking up Paul Green and his abilities as a DM after a 0-0 in Sweden as well, even though he'd been a donkey in most other games he's played for Ireland.

So, this type of player - the workmanlike DM - gets praise when Ireland are either a goal up or holding a draw. Cursed to hell when Ireland are a goal down and said player is seemingly contributing to Ireland's ineffectualness in going forward.

Ha ha, touchy subject lads? Strange how there may be differing views to your own on a football forum. Who'd have thought?

For the record, I think O'Neill has done an okay job with a poor squad, but let's not pretend it's a superb achievement to finish 3rd when finishing 3rd in every single previous campaign would have been considered a failure. I just stated a fact but yeah, let's get snidey at that.

• Advertisement

Ha ha, touchy subject lads? Strange how there may be differing views to your own on a football forum. Who'd have thought?

For the record, I think O'Neill has done an okay job with a poor squad, but let's not pretend it's a superb achievement to finish 3rd when finishing 3rd in every single previous campaign would have been considered a failure. I just stated a fact but yeah, let's get snidey at that.

You stated a bare fact with zero context. It was an unusually difficult group, given we were 2nd seeds, with the world champions and resurgent Polish and Scottish teams. You left out the context which was crucial in this instance, it renders your view almost negligible and pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

it's a superb achievement to finish 3rd when finishing 3rd in every single previous campaign would have been considered a failure. I just stated a fact but yeah, let's get snidey at that.

Well considering it was a battle of 2nd between Poland/Ireland/Scotland. And Poland had the most in form striker in the world. I'd say we did Ok....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Mushy wrote: »
    For me, I'm unsure on him. He set up the team well yesterday and against Germany, but then he messed it up against Poland. Not saying we would have won that game, but it seems more comfortable with Brady further up the pitch.

The horrible football people don't like. It was a large part of why people wanted Trap gone, and now it's continued. Not surprising given who is involved, it seems effective when the team selection is right.

I don't like his insistence on Whelan though.

I have to say that for me, there's a decent difference between Trap and MON. Largely, the football can be horrible under both but MON at least leaves ball players on the pitch in the hope of doing something creative.

I was an advocate of Trap for longer than most but I think what I never got until recently was that Trap was awful for team confidence and morale.

The team are defending for large parts but they attack with a bit more confidence.

MON seems to be more of a 'horses for courses' kind if manager whereas Trap was basically saying 'you can't play football to begin with so we're not going to even try'

Well considering it was a battle of 2nd between Poland/Ireland/Scotland. And Poland had the most in form striker in the world. I'd say we did Ok....

You cant bring in facts. This is just raw numbers. Nobody got time for context.

Coin toss difference in quality between us and the Scots, so ye are suggesting it's a superb achievement to finish ahead of them? Come on lads. We finished third. In every other campaign, that's a failure. In this campaign, it's okay because it's gotten us a play-off. It's not great, it's okay. That was my point when addressing the poster who suggested that credit was deserved. A third place finish was a target that was not afforded to any previous Irish manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Coin toss difference in quality between us and the Scots, so ye are suggesting it's a superb achievement to finish ahead of them? Come on lads. We finished third. In every other campaign, that's a failure. In this campaign, it's okay because it's gotten us a play-off. It's not great, it's okay. That was my point when addressing the poster who suggested that credit was deserved. A third place finish was a target that was not afforded to any previous Irish manager.
    Even if we were in a group with Germany and Poland where only 2 went through and went into the final game with a chance of finishing ahead of both of them, I don't think I could be too critical of the manager for being one missed headed goal (we can criticise the performance that night all we want but in the end that was probably the margin) away from finishing ahead of Poland in 2nd.

You stated a bare fact with zero context. It was an unusually difficult group, given we were 2nd seeds, with the world champions and resurgent Polish and Scottish teams. You left out the context which was crucial in this instance, it renders your view almost negligible and pointless.

You speak about context - I don't agree with the bolded part of what you've written.

Even if we were in a group with Germany and Poland where only 2 went through and went into the final game with a chance of finishing ahead of both of them, I don't think I could be too critical of the manager for being one missed headed goal (we can criticise the performance that night all we want but in the end that was probably the margin) away from finishing ahead of Poland in 2nd.

I agree. I'm not being overly critical of MON, I'm saying let's not heap the praise on him for coming 3rd. 2nd would've been great. 3rd is ok.

You cant go bringing match results into it. We finished 3rd. 3rd I tells ya. That has nothing to do with opposition or results. 3rd!!!

Even if I hadn't agreed with the post that you quoted there, your comment would still be pretty juvenile.

You speak about context - I don't agree with the bolded part of what you've written.

Maybe you don't understand the word resurgent. Look it up there.

? I don't need to look up anything I know what the word means. You find it strange that I disagree?

? I don't need to look up anything I know what the word means. You find it strange that I disagree?

I don't find it strange that you disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

1-1 away is a cracking result. I'm very happy with that. The Bosnians showed so little composure and conviction in their play, hopefully that's the same on Monday.

We were very poor when we had the ball too, but it was nice at least to see good numbers committed when going forward in the first half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I hope MON drops Ward he was all over the shop on Friday and fair dues for him admitting it himself. Id stick Walters up front with Mclean coming in on the wing and Hendricks moving to replace Whelan. I like Whelan but i dont subscribe to the idea he had a good game he got caught out a good few times. Maybe Wilson or Christie for Ward.

We need to attack Bosnia from the off and hopefully score or else it will be a nervy night. I dont see Bosnia scoring two goals so hopefully we get what we need.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement