Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep of Ireland (1) vs Bosnia (1), Euro qualifier playoff 2nd leg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

TheCitizen wrote: »
    We finished 3rd in a very difficult group, an unusually strong group. Let's not forget that.

very difficult group :confused:

apart from Germany all the other teams were mediocre, scotland haven't qualified for anything in yonks and Poland are very average
    obezyana wrote: »
    Bosnia were rubbish we were rubbish.

yep totally agree, probably the worst international match i've seen in ages..i know conditions in the 2nd half were bad but my god Bosnia were woeful with very limited creative ability...this tie is for Ireland to lose now,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Whelan isn't going to be dropped. He was Captain on Friday and played well. He's been played every time he's fit and available. It's pointless considering an XI without him tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

fryup wrote: »

apart from Germany all the other teams were mediocre, scotland haven't qualified for anything in yonks and Poland are very average

In fairness, we're mediocre as well. I think we got the toughest group. Look at Northern Ireland's group, we'd have qualified automatically from that.

Poland are a tough side with a world class striker, Scotland are always going to be a tough match for us no matter what form they're in as it's pretty much like a derby game. Germany are Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

gosplan wrote: »
    I have to say that for me, there's a decent difference between Trap and MON. Largely, the football can be horrible under both but MON at least leaves ball players on the pitch in the hope of doing something creative.

I was an advocate of Trap for longer than most but I think what I never got until recently was that Trap was awful for team confidence and morale.

The team are defending for large parts but they attack with a bit more confidence.

MON seems to be more of a 'horses for courses' kind if manager whereas Trap was basically saying 'you can't play football to begin with so we're not going to even try'

I wouldn't disagree with this really. I may be more wary of o Neill, but considering original question, he deserves some credit, but let's not go overboard (not that the response to my op constitutes overboard at all).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

1-1 before the game would have been a great result but I suppose the manner if the goal might take a bit of gloss of the result.

If O'Shea is fit he will start because he has been wearing the arm band and in fairness he is a different player for Ireland than Sunderland.

For me 1-1 is the worst result we could have got. We have the slenderest lead to protect and although our defensive record in the group is outstanding we'd be fooling ourselves if we didn't realise there was a lot of luck in it. I'm bracing myself for 11 behind the ball hoping to break on the counter where I believe the squad actually has enough to hold the ball and attack if we want/need.

Either way, I personally think it was a good finish in what was a seriously tough group and once we aren't embarrassed tomorrow against a team that are way above us in the rankings it will be a good finish to the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

yep totally agree, probably the worst international match i've seen in ages..i know conditions in the 2nd half were bad but my god Bosnia were woeful with very limited creative ability...this tie is for Ireland to lose now,

Yes it was a difficult group in comparison to most of the other qualifying groups. What is it with some posters around here,that you have to spell out things for them?

You couldn't see the match it was shrouded in fog.

LeBash wrote: »
    1-1 before the game would have been a great result...
    For me 1-1 is the worst result we could have got...

Emmmmmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

LeBash wrote: »
    1-1 before the game would have been a great resultbut I suppose the manner if the goal might take a bit of gloss of the result.

If O'Shea is fit he will start because he has been wearing the arm band and in fairness he is a different player for Ireland than Sunderland.

For me 1-1 is the worst result we could have got. We have the slenderest lead to protect and although our defensive record in the group is outstanding we'd be fooling ourselves if we didn't realise there was a lot of luck in it. I'm bracing myself for 11 behind the ball hoping to break on the counter where I believe the squad actually has enough to hold the ball and attack if we want/need.

Either way, I personally think it was a good finish in what was a seriously tough group and once we aren't embarrassed tomorrow against a team that are way above us in the rankings it will be a good finish to the campaign.

So 1-1 would have been a great result before the game but now that we got the 1-1 its the worst result we could have got ?

I don't get some posts around here.

1-1 is better than 0-0, not as good as an outright win but better than 0-0.

Yes it was a difficult group in comparison to most of the other qualifying groups. What is it with some posters around here,that you have to spell out things for them?

You couldn't see the match it was shrouded in fog.

:confused: wtf

it was difficult in your opinion not mine , ok

i could see the first half perfectly

• Advertisement

:confused: wtf

it was difficult in your opinion not mine , ok

i could see the first half perfectly

It's not just my opinion. The group we were in was one of the more difficult groups in comparison to the other groups. You can say what you like, that is beyond dispute.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

beyond dispute, my arse

when was the last time scotland qualified for anything ??? well???......1998 ffs

Poland are a very average side they didn't qualify for the last WC, they rarely qualify for any major championship..they only played in the last euros because they were hosts

and as for comparison...group A, G & H were tougher groups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

What a post. If people don't agree with you, you think it's because they don't understand and need it spelled out for them? Like how you thought I didn't understand your use of the word 'resurgent' earlier.

Has it crossed your mind that some people just don't think Poland are all that great and maybe our group wasn't that especially tough? What's so amazing about that? Were you that impressed by Poland when you watched them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Amazing that with all the talk of how difficult our group was, or has MON been good or not, it all comes down to 1 match tomorrow.
    Already starting to feel nervous.
    I'd be fairly sure that the match will be in the balance right up to the last few minutes.
    Wouldn't shock me if it was 1-1 and extra time.

It'll all come down to one mistake , one piece of brilliance or one piece of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Amazing that with all the talk of how difficult our group was, or has MON been good or not, it all comes down to 1 match tomorrow.
    Already starting to feel nervous.
    I'd be fairly sure that the match will be in the balance right up to the last few minutes.
    Wouldn't shock me if it was 1-1 and extra time.

It'll all come down to one mistake , one piece of brilliance or one piece of luck.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

beyond dispute, my arse

when was the last time scotland qualified for anything ??? well???......1998 ffs

Poland are a very average side they didn't qualify for the last WC, they rarely qualify for any major championship..they only played in the last euros because they were hosts

You are either at it or genuinely haven't a clue.

• Advertisement

fyfe79 wrote: »
    What a post. If people don't agree with you, you think it's because they don't understand and need it spelled out for them? Like how you thought I didn't understand your use of the word 'resurgent' earlier.

Has it crossed your mind that some people just don't think Poland are all that great and maybe our group wasn't that especially tough? What's so amazing about that? Were you that impressed by Poland when you watched them?

Listen pal, anybody who knows anything about the game, even just observers know that we were in one of the more difficult Groups. It is beyond dispute, run along now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

^^^^^^^^^^^^

beyond dispute, my arse

Hmm. If Poland are average, which they may well be, not sure what that makes us.

I think people sometimes stick to the idea that we're one of the best 15/16 teams in Europe and should always produce results on a par with that idea.

I think 2nd would be overachieving. Qualifying through playoffs is fine. Going out now would be a dissappointment.

You are either at it or genuinely haven't a clue.

oh here you again with your condescending attitude,

no, your the one who's clueless (which is plain to see)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Should O'Neill be given a new contract for the next campaign? I'd think he deserves one.

Half way through this campaign I had given up on him, after only getting 1/6 points from Scotland I thought we were done for, but when you look at the campaign overall we've achieved a few decent results and of course the famous win over Germany. We're competitive and playing at a level I feel is acceptable, the fact that we play Bosnia at home tomorrow night in a winner takes all match is exciting and these are the nights we will remember as Irish fans. The football has been disappointing at times but I'd generally think he gets his squad selection correct and I also can't think of anyone else who I'd like to see get the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

^^^^^^^^^^^^

beyond dispute, my arse

You're having a laugh now to be fair.

• Advertisement

am i ??

Scotland haven't qualified for anything in years and Poland rarely qualify for any major championship...now how the hell can anyone class them as tough opposition????

Listen pal, anybody who knows anything about the game, even just observers know that we were in one of the more difficult Groups. It is beyond dispute, run along now.

Your egotistical musings say more about your attitude than you think. Earlier you stated as 'beyond dispute' that we were in one of toughest groups as that was your opinion. You therefore think your opinion is more valuable than mine. Nonsense.

'pal', ''run along now', indeed. Your misplaced aggression has me nonplussed. Have a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

am i ??

Scotland haven't qualified for anything in years and Poland rarely qualify for any major championship...now how the hell can anyone class them as tough opposition????

Remind me how Ireland are so successful at qualifying? Also if you can tear yourself from the history books I suppose you at an utter loss as to how Wales, Northern Ireland and Iceland have defied your history books to actually qualify?

When you step away from stats and numbers and watch matches you can see amazing things happen.

xoxox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Should O'Neill be given a new contract for the next campaign? I'd think he deserves one.

Half way through this campaign I had given up on him, after only getting 1/6 points from Scotland I thought we were done for, but when you look at the campaign overall we've achieved a few decent results and of course the famous win over Germany. We're competitive and playing at a level I feel is acceptable, the fact that we play Bosnia at home tomorrow night in a winner takes all match is exciting and these are the nights we will remember as Irish fans. The football has been disappointing at times but I'd generally think he gets his squad selection correct and I also can't think of anyone else who I'd like to see get the job.

It'd be mad not to give him a new contract.

Your egotistical musings say more about your attitude than you think. Earlier you stated as 'beyond dispute' that we were in one of toughest groups as that was your opinion. You therefore think your opinion is more valuable than mine. Nonsense.

'pal', ''run along now', indeed. Your misplaced aggression has me nonplussed. Have a good day.

Yourself and the other fella there must be at it. So you can drop the faux outrage.

am i ??

What Poland were 4 or 6 years ago is irrelevant. This is a golden generation for them. A team full of players playing as important players for some of the best teams in the world. You would benefit from the use of context in your arguments rather than just throwing stupid facts like above in that have no basis on what is actually taking place.

Not a fan of O'Neill or Keane but have to say they've turned things around a bit. The "we'll never qualify for anything again" posts are gone anyway!

In a year that was supposed to be dominated by rugby as our football fortunes continue to slide, it could end on a very high note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

If anyone truly wants to provide some sort of an accurate measure of how the hard the groups were they would compare the world rankings of the top 4 seeds in the group at the time of the draw.

Our group was difficult, finishing ahead of Scotland was a noteworthy achievement.

Talk about what countries qualified for in the past is largely irrelevant.

Belgium are currently the top ranked team in the world yet have only qualified for one tournament since 1998.

We came within 1 goal of pipping a country of 40 million people to automatic qualification. If you don't see that as good then your expectations are too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Rugby Team: Underachieved again, injuries caught up on them, Argentina are brilliant, POC is a legend, O'Brien punches French player, gets banned, nothing said, he's a legend, they are all heroes.

Soccer Team: They're shit, O'Neill is shit, Keane is a wanker, Whelan is shit, Ward is shit, Robbie's too old, and shit, one result away from qualifying for Euros, Scotland are shit, Poland are shit, Germany are shit, Ireland will make a show of themselves in France.

I swear it physically hurts some people to see the soccer lads do well. Long may it continue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Anyone feel a 2-1 defeat might have been a better result for us? Surely O Neil will park the bus now and play for a 0-0. If we had to really go for it tomorrow night I think we might have been better off. If they nick a goal late in the second half we will be in big trouble. Was chatting to a Bosnian lad on another form and he reckons Besic coming back for the second leg will make a big difference for them. He reckons Pjanic is a lot more effective for them and plays further upfield when Besic starts. Anyway, I'm hungover and probably talking nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Anyone feel a 2-1 defeat might have been a better result for us? Surely O Neil will park the bus now and play for a 0-0. If we had to really go for it tomorrow night I think we might have been better off. If they nick a goal late in the second half we will be in big trouble. Was chatting to a Bosnian lad on another form and he reckons Besic coming back for the second leg will make a big difference for them. He reckons Pjanic is a lot more effective for them and plays further upfield when Besic starts. Anyway, I'm hungover and probably talking nonsense.
    Walters back is important for us. Hopefully we could have Long to spring from the bench. Long would terrify their CB's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

There is just no way a 2-1 defeat is better than a 1-1, seriously like how in anyone's logic can a defeat be better than a draw???

Nib wrote: »
    Rugby Team: Underachieved again, injuries caught up on them, Argentina are brilliant, POC is a legend, O'Brien punches French player, gets banned, nothing said, he's a legend, they are all heroes.

Soccer Team: They're shit, O'Neill is shit, Keane is a wanker, Whelan is shit, Ward is shit, Robbie's too old, and shit, one result away from qualifying for Euros, Scotland are shit, Poland are shit, Germany are shit, Ireland will make a show of themselves in France.

I swear it physically hurts some people to see the soccer lads do well. Long may it continue.

Not sure why you're bring the Rugby team into this? I love to see the football team do well, always have always will. I'll never be one of those lads who wants Ireland to finish bottom of the group if it means that a manager I dislike gets the sack. In this qualifying campaign though I simply pointed out that finishing in third place behind an average Polish team and ahead of an average Scotland is about par for the course. Lavishing praise on MON is a little premature. He's not done a bad job but he's also not done an above average job. Some people are heaping undeserved praise on Poland imo, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them get eliminated in the first round next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Some outrageous statements being spouted here! A 1-1 away draw, with some key players missing, is a remarkable result, yet people aren't happy and would actually have preferred a defeat or a 0-0 draw. Absolutely crazy stuff. Is it just an Irish thing? I can't see any other nation trying to pick negatives in a result like this.

We have the advantage. So what if we try to play defensively and hold out for a 0-0? We'll have a better team with O'Shea, Walters and Long to come in so a good chance of keeping a clean sheet and, if we do concede, there's more goals in us with a strengthened team. Looking forward to tomorrow and can see us getting through one way or another!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Probably?

Soups123 wrote: »
    There is just no way a 2-1 defeat is better than a 1-1, seriously like how in anyone's logic can a defeat be better than a draw???

I know it seems stupid but think I would prefer if the onus was on us to go out and score. If we try and park the bus for 90 minutes I think we will get done. Hopefully we go out an attack from the off but I have a suspicion O Neil will play it ultra defensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I know it seems stupid but think I would prefer if the onus was on us to go out and score. If we try and park the bus for 90 minutes I think we will get done. Hopefully we go out an attack from the off but I have a suspicion O Neil will play it ultra defensive.

Had we of lost onus would have been on us to score then they park the bus, if they got 1 we'd need 2 minimum. 1-1 is so much better

Soups123 wrote: »
    Had we of lost onus would have been on us to score then they park the bus, if they got 1 we'd need 2 minimum. 1-1 is so much better

True I'm probably overly apprehensive and over analysing things. Anyway can't wait for tomorrow and hopefully the lads can hold out for a 0-0 , win on penos or a 2-1, don't care as long a we make it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It would be a very dangerous game to sit back and play for a 0 - 0.
    We should approach the game with the intent to win it.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them get eliminated in the first round next summer.

Well I'd be shocked & would consider it a mind blowing achievement if anything other than that happened with this bang average group of players.

If we qualify we should be aiming not to embarrass ourselves, a draw would be OK, a win would be great

Nib wrote: »

Our rugby players lift international trophies so they are bound to be the darlings of the country. Our soccer barely take part in international tournaments at club or international level so while rugby bashing might go down well here it really has little revelance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Even Daryll Murphy had the legs on their centre backs on Friday so if long gets the last half hour when they are tiring he could cause mayhem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

If we try and park the bus for 90 minutes I think we will get done. Hopefully we go out an attack from the off but I have a suspicion O Neil will play it ultra defensive.

O'Neill says he is going to attack in the home leg but his idea of attack and that of a neutral are two completely different things.

He said: "The onus is on us now. We will have to try to win because I feel that Bosnia are capable of scoring a goal and therefore I think our mindset should be to try to win the game.

"I don't think we can sit -- we were away tonight against a very good Bosnia side and obviously against the crowd, but we will attempt to attack more during the course of the second game.

"That would be our objective if we can. We have got an away goal, which helps, but that can be wiped out in any given minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Anyone feel a 2-1 defeat might have been a better result for us?

This is mental stuff. I'm glad you're not the Ireland manager. "Right lads, it's vital we lose tonight if we're to stand any chance of beating them. Let's keep it tight up front and try to nick an own goal late on."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

monkey9 wrote: »
    This is mental stuff. I'm glad you're not the Ireland manager. "Right lads, it's vital we lose tonight if we're to stand any chance of beating them. Let's keep it tight up front and try to nick an own goal late on."

:pac:

But I get what he's saying. Something about the Irish mentality that seems not to sit well with being in the lead, and Ireland do have a lead because of the away goal in this tie. If it were 2-1, maybe Bosnia would think about sitting back in Dublin, looking to absorb pressure and allow Ireland to score the vital goal late on.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer 1-1 all day, but it does mean that Bosnia will come to Dublin looking for at least one goal and Ireland need to be wary of this threat. The tie is not over by any means.

• Advertisement

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Our rugby players lift international trophies so they are bound to be the darlings of the country. Our soccer barely take part in international tournaments at club or international level so while rugby bashing might go down well here it really has little revelance.

No. The Irish rugby players lift regional trophies featuring six closely located countries. Ireland football team won one of those kind of things too recently actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

tastyt wrote: »
    Even Daryll Murphy had the legs on their centre backs on Friday so if long gets the last half hour when they are tiring he could cause mayhem

I thought that early on when he had the beating of their cb easily but then fouled him, I don't think he got a chance again after that.

Long off the bench would be a huge boost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

CSF wrote: »
    No. The Irish rugby players lift regional trophies featuring six closely located countries. Ireland football team won one of those kind of things too recently actually.

Ah come of it, dont compare the 6 nations to the retard cup Ireland won, thats one of the most idiotic things Ive ever heard

astonaidan wrote: »
    Ah come of it, dont compare the 6 nations to the retard cup Ireland won, thats one of the most idiotic things Ive ever heard

Both are regional cups that don't feature the best teams in the world. If enough countries cared about the sport, and the Southern Hemisphere countries were allowed enter, Ireland would not win.

CSF wrote: »

The 6 Nations, a competition for the second tier of rugby countries ie. the 6 countries in the Northern hemisphere that play it...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement