Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep of Ireland (1) vs Bosnia (1), Euro qualifier playoff 2nd leg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

CSF wrote: »
    No. The Irish rugby players lift regional trophies featuring six closely located countries. Ireland football team won one of those kind of things too recently actually.

God 's sake man, ridiculous, engage your brain

briany wrote: »
    :pac:

But I get what he's saying. Something about the Irish mentality that seems not to sit well with being in the lead, and Ireland do have a lead because of the away goal in this tie. If it were 2-1, maybe Bosnia would think about sitting back in Dublin, looking to absorb pressure and allow Ireland to score the vital goal late on.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer 1-1 all day, but it does mean that Bosnia will come to Dublin looking for at least one goal and Ireland need to be wary of this threat. The tie is not over by any means.

Think it says more about your mentality than the Irish mentality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Dots1982 wrote: »
    God 's sake man, ridiculous, engage your brain

Ok mate, the six nations is a highly competitive tournament that every country in the world would like to win, featuring the best 3 countries in the world. Keep kidding yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Have a good feeling about tomorrow.

Nervy stressful encounter but tomorrow night we will be booking flights to France

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Both are regional cups that don't feature the best teams in the world. If enough countries cared about the sport, and the Southern Hemisphere countries were allowed enter, Ireland would not win.

Seriously this is just moranic, so then the euros are pointless by your logic since Brazil and Arentina arent in it. You realise that England dont play in the celtic cup right and eh Italy or France, which wait for it all play in the 6 nations, to even compare the two is just looking for attention and showing a lack of knowledge in either sports

Ok mate, the six nations is a highly competitive tournament that every country in the world would like to win, featuring the best 3 countries in the world. Keep kidding yourself.

What are you on about? Winning the 6 nations means your the champion team in half the bloody world. Winning the carling cup meant ....effectively nothing.

The rugby team wins prestige international tournaments at club & country level. That's why they are treated with more respect than the soccer players.

That's it. There's no double standards or conspiracy as much as you want there to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

Dots1982 wrote: »
    What are you on about? Winning the 6 nations means your the champion team in half the bloody world. Winning the carling cup meant ....effectively nothing.

The rugby team wins prestige international tournaments at club & country level. That's why they are treated with more respect than the soccer players.

That's it. There's no double standards or conspiracy as much as you want there to be

Rugby is a sport that only a handful can compete at a serious level.

There's no comparison.

Alex Meier wrote: »
    Rugby is a sport that only a handful can compete at a serious level.

There's no comparison.

Which is exactly what I say a few posts back.

Comparisons are meaningless. I was only telling the guy making comparisons the pointlessness of the exercise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Soooooooo, anything about the actual match tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Nib wrote: »
    Rugby Team: Underachieved again, injuries caught up on them, Argentina are brilliant, POC is a legend, O'Brien punches French player, gets banned, nothing said, he's a legend, they are all heroes.

Soccer Team: They're shit, O'Neill is shit, Keane is a wanker, Whelan is shit, Ward is shit, Robbie's too old, and shit, one result away from qualifying for Euros, Scotland are shit, Poland are shit, Germany are shit, Ireland will make a show of themselves in France.

I swear it physically hurts some people to see the soccer lads do well. Long may it continue.

Yup, that's pretty much the class divide right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The rugby team has never done anything on a world stage. They have had 8 attempts at getting past the quarter finals which with the way rugby is set up is basically the 1st round. They have failed every time. The soccer team qualifying for the euros is a far greater achievement than the rugby team reaching a quarter final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Aaaaanyway, back to the football.

Possibility that Walters, O'Shea and Long will all be back tomorrow night, so it'll be interesting to see what MON does.

For me personally, I'd like to see this:

Randolph
    Coleman--Keogh-O'Shea-Wilson
    McCarthy--Whelan
    Hendrick
    Hoolahan----Brady
    Walters

I think O'Shea's experience could be crucial in a game like this. Same premise as the first game, using Walters as the man to hold up the ball and bring others into play. You then have Long to spring off the bench after 60/70 mins for Hendrick or Hoolahan, moving Walters back to right wing and having Long running at the hopefully leggy Bosnian defence.

I just hope MON doesn't bottle it and go completely defensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Has there been any word on dzeko. It looked to me that he did his groin late on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Advantage Ireland, apparently Robbie Brady scored an away goal before Edin Dzeko equalised on the night shortly after.

CTwzSd3WsAA5Ycb.jpg
    2E6C175E00000578-3317693-image-a-11_1447447385556.jpg

Looks like Ireland will have O'Shea and Long to pick from tomorrow night. Both trained this morning. Jon Walters also returns from suspension.

CT22CDOWcAA_VtW.jpg
    CT22CFaXAAEhHOT.jpg

Possible Ireland team; Randolph, Coleman, O'Shea, Keogh, Wilson, Whelan, McCarthy, Hendrick, Brady, Hoolahan, Walters.

Martin O'Neill will possibly leave Shane Long on the bench and bring him on around the 60th minute mark. Hopefully he'll have the same impact as he did against the World Champions, Germany.

Possible Bosnia team; Begovic, Spahic, Sunjic, Lulic, Zukanovic, Cocalic, Pjanic, Mujdza, Visca, Ibisevic, Dzeko.

However, Edin Dzeko is a doubt for Bosnia, he picked up a slight groin injury late on in the first leg.

Verdict: 2-1 (3-2)

COYBIG!

Kick-off is at 7:45pm and is live on RTÉ2 and SS1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

-- Ireland haven't conceded more than 1 goal at home in the campaign so far. :D

-- Ireland have scored in every home game so far in this campaign. :D

Who fancies a penalty shootout?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Walters available again is a big plus. He's been our player of the campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Walters available again is a big plus. He's been our player of the campaign.

Great to have him back.

I predict an early sending off for a Bosnian, we'll score the resulting penalty and win 2-1 on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

1-0 bosnia. 86 min goal

Would love if we were leading 2-0 going into injury time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

1-1

Nervous about this.

They still have to attack though so imo, if Long is fit he has to start - we need some pace in the front 3 to get at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Bringing my eight year old to the match tomorrow. It's our first time going to the Aviva. What time should we aim to get there? Would welcome any tips.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Hope we get a 0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Rugby team is a good team that has underachieved, our soccer team is a moderately talented team that over achieves and deserves more credit than it gets. Monday night promises to be a great occasion with the Aviva rocking like it has never done before. Come on you boys in green.
    As a multi sports fan that that used to think that soccer players were soft I have to agree that this bunch are punching above their weight and deserve respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

remoteboy wrote: »
    Bringing my eight year old to the match tomorrow. It's our first time going to the Aviva. What time should we aim to get there? Would welcome any tips.

7 if you want to see the players warming up on the pitch

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Apparently there's expected to extra security tomorrow for obvious reasons. Might be worth heading in 10 minutes earlier in case you get delayed with bag checks etc

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Apparently there's expected to extra security tomorrow for obvious reasons. Might be worth heading in 10 minutes earlier in case you get delayed with bag checks etc

I was actually thinking about that when i heard about one of the bombers being refused entry into the Stade de France. You never get searched at Lansdowne going into games (maybe bags get searched, i don't know as i never brought one into an Ireland game before). I'd have no problem walking in with a bomb strapped to me or a gun beneath my jacket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Has there been any word on dzeko. It looked to me that he did his groin late on.

"We have options, but Dzeko was hurt. He had a minor injury and everything is fine. We have solutions for every player."

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/one-of-bosnias-key-players-has-emerged-as-an-injury-doubt-for-tomorrows-game-with-ireland/49849

Bit of a mixed message. He's not 100% either way so hopefully he won't be on form! Another nice boost for us if he is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

There were shots of him running/training at the Aviva. . . I'd say he's alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

How would people feel if we were to go 1-0 up and parked the bus? It's funny that even if we did go 1-0 up, it really wouldn't change anything as the focus is nearly more on not conceding than scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

What is the face value of the average ticket?

If we park the bus from the off, then it will be a matter of time before they score given their striking power.

One thing we know for sure is Bosnia have to go for it. This will inevitably leave gaps at the back, especially the longer it goes on.

Hopefully, we can make it 60 minutes without conceding, then bring on Long, who will further stretch an already stretched Bosnian team.

I think the true test tomorrow night will be the mental one for the Bosnians, and how they react the longer they go without a goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

SantryRed wrote: »
    Aaaaanyway, back to the football.

Possibility that Walters, O'Shea and Long will all be back tomorrow night, so it'll be interesting to see what MON does.

For me personally, I'd like to see this:

Randolph
    Coleman--Keogh-O'Shea-Wilson
    McCarthy--Whelan
    Hendrick
    Hoolahan----Brady
    Walters

I think O'Shea's experience could be crucial in a game like this. Same premise as the first game, using Walters as the man to hold up the ball and bring others into play. You then have Long to spring off the bench after 60/70 mins for Hendrick or Hoolahan, moving Walters back to right wing and having Long running at the hopefully leggy Bosnian defence.

I just hope MON doesn't bottle it and go completely defensive.

This exactly. It's probably the first game of the entire campaign where O'Neills starting XI is quite predictable. If Long was fit enough I would start him as the Bosnia defence didn't look to have much pace the other night, but I'd say it's more likely he will appear at the hour mark - which could work out better for us.

Have a good feeling about this myself, could be a massive night in the Aviva. I'm going to predict a nervy 2-1 win for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think that Ireland will be looking for a defensively sound performance tomorrow. If you expect Ireland to have a go from the outset, I think you're pretty delusional. The onus isn't really on Ireland to score since they have a (slight) advantage going into this game. Bosnia won't be in any great hurry to score either, knowing that a single goal may do them. If Ireland sit back, I expect Bosnia to stay in second gear until late in the game when they'll attempt to hit Ireland when it's getting to late for Ireland to retort.

That's what I think will happen. What I think should happen is Ireland to try for a goal in the first 15. Getting one would really press the advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Just a 90min clean sheet away from France next summer, if that was offered to us a few months ago we'd have stepped over dead bodies for it.

The very best of luck to MON and all the lads tonight.

COYBIG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Cake Man wrote: »
    Just a 90min clean sheet away from France next summer, if that was offered to us a few months ago we'd have stepped over dead bodies for it.

The very best of luck to MON and all the lads tonight.

COYBIG

You could have phrased that better, all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Cake Man wrote: »

It's a great achievement to have turned it around and to be in this position now. I wouldn't like to be the team needing to come to Dublin and get a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

elefant wrote: »
    It's a great achievement to have turned it around and to be in this position now. I wouldn't like to be the team needing to come to Dublin and get a result.

Nothing achieved as yet. I have a feeling Bosnia will be a better team tonight and we'll have to match them for passion and ability. Nothing won yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Today is a completely different game. Bosnia are gonna come at us. At the end of the day, regardless of what we do, they need to score a goal.

It is going to be very, very edgy. Nerves are building!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Sh!ting it. Can we keep a clean sheet? I hope for the most boring 0-0 I've ever witnessed. IMO that's the only way we are going through.

Where's the best place to go for a few drinks before the game near the stadium?

• Awful nervous about tonight. Going to be a really stressful 90 minutes that's for sure.
    Really not sure what way we will line out tonight either. It's an O'Neill Lottery considering how well the back 4 did at the weekend. Does O' Shea slot back in? As for Wes / Walters / Long hmmm
    We have to have a real go early on.
    When we got at them at the weekend they look really shaky at the back. At least we won't have to contend with the fog (fingers crossed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Expecting a fantastic atmosphere tonight. Envy anyone able to go, but enjoy it. Hopefully its a cracker.

The first game can only have given confidence to the lads that they can do the job tonight. I know I'm cautiously optimistic, anyway.

Walters and O'Shea back are huge additions. Obviously goes without saying that Walters needs to be put straight back in. For O'Shea, I think his experience is really needed. Has to start for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Got let down for a ticket in the last half hour there, if anyone knows of any going spare please give me a PM! Very nervous but have a good gut feeling about tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Where's the best place to go for a few drinks before the game near the stadium?

Prob Slatterys or Gasworks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

Knex. wrote: »
    Expecting a fantastic atmosphere tonight. Envy anyone able to go, but enjoy it. Hopefully its a cracker.

The first game can only have given confidence to the lads that they can do the job tonight. I know I'm cautiously optimistic, anyway.

Walters and O'Shea back are huge additions. Obviously goes without saying that Walters needs to be put straight back in. For O'Shea, I think his experience is really needed. Has to start for me.

I don't know what merit there is to this, but posters on YBIG are saying O'Neill hinted that O'Shea and Long would not start the game. They think Walters will start up front, replacing Murphy, with the rest of the team unchanged. Long to come on in the final half-hour, along with McClean, to attempt to expose a tired Bosnian defence.

O'Shea's experience is a boon, but if he's got a bit of a knock and is slowed by it, his experience won't help the team so much, so it could very much be in the balance.

What I don't think we need to see is Keane trotting on the pitch at any time. Huge respect to Keane for everything he's done for Ireland. He's been the team's greatest all-time player, maybe, but he's just not the talisman he used to be. Bringing him on at any time could cost Ireland the tie, if they're chasing a goal.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Long won't be able for 90 minutes and I reckon he'll be more effective coming off the bench. Let Walters start up front, then take one of the midfield off for Long and let Walters drop back.

If O Shea isn't 100% I'd be very wary of starting him tbh.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

kfallon wrote: »
    Prob Slatterys or Gasworks!

Thanks I'll look them up.

Need a few pints to get into 12th man mode :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Thanks I'll look them up.

Need a few pints to get into 12th man mode :)

You're on the bench??? :eek:

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Long won't be able for 90 minutes and I reckon he'll be more effective coming off the bench. Let Walters start up front, then take one of the midfield off for Long and let Walters drop back.

This.

You would need Walters' heart from the start of this match, put it up to the Bosnian backline. Later in the game A fresh Long can be difficult to handle when up against tired legs, he makes a nuisance of himself.

Nailz wrote: »
    This.

You would need Walters' heart from the start of this match, put it up to the Bosnian backline. Later in the game A fresh Long can be difficult to handle when up against tired legs, he makes a nuisance of himself.

Tired Legs + A risk taking Bosnian team + Shane Long introduction = :D

Hopefully we still have a clean sheet with 30 minutes to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Have to start like a train on fire and don't give them any time to settle in the first 10/15 mins. That will keep the crowd involved which will be a massive bonus for the team. I can see them folding when we score early and then adding a 2nd. Remember Cyprus put 3 past them !!!

COYBIG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Have to start like a train on fire and don't give them any time to settle in the first 10/15 mins. That will keep the crowd involved which will be a massive bonus for the team. I can see them folding when we score early and then adding a 2nd. Remember Cyprus put 3 past them !!!

COYBIG

Actually if a train was on fire it wouldn't start

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement