Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep of Ireland (1) vs Bosnia (1), Euro qualifier playoff 2nd leg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

JustTheOne wrote: »
    No youre wrong. Ireland would have menu through with a 2 all draw.

I know they would have, but I'm sure it was 2-1 at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

Mushy wrote: »
    I know they would have, but I'm sure it was 2-1 at half time.

Yep it was 2-1 .... at half time oops...okay so we had to win the second half ....
    Gets coat and leaves................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I just don't see any cause for optimism going into this game. The losses are mammoth for a small country like ourselves. Shane Long and Jon Walters would have been so influentiall for this game; their absence will hit us hard. We will likely start with Daryl Murphy up top - a man with 14 caps and 0 goals.

But it's at the other end that I'm most concerned. The loss of Given and O'Shea means the loss of over 240 caps combined - enormous experience. That void will probably be filled by the inexperienced Darren Randolph and a makeshift centre-back pairing that I don't think will have ever played together before - either Keogh and Clark or Keogh and Wilson. These lads will be facing Edin Dzeko and the 6 foot 6 Milan Duric, with Pjanic orchestrating things from behind. It's a Championship standard defence facing a Champions League-worthy attack. Honestly, it's a recipe for disaster.

I note even Dunphy, who often places great faith in the Irish team (he believed in the win over Germany to his credit), even he doesn't fancy our chances this time.

If we are still in this tie after the first leg we'll be doing well. I fear we could lose it 3-0 or worse. This could be like the Ireland/Estonia game, only this time we'll be playing the part of Estonia.

I dearly hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be at all confident. It just feels like there's too much that's gone against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

What are the Bosnian media saying about us, do they view us as much of a threat or confident they'll take care of us over two legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Cake Man wrote: »
    What are the Bosnian media saying about us, do they view us as much of a threat or confident they'll take care of us over two legs?

Pretty confident I think. I vaguely remember hearing someone from the Bosnian team or press describing us as 'like Wales without Bale and Ramsey', basically a mediocre team with no stand out players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I suppose they wouldn't be far wrong. They'll be well aware of our limitations and also our suspensions/injuries, hopefully that might lead to some complacency!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Is this what we're expecting the team to be?
    Randolph
    Coleman Keogh Clark or Wilson Ward or Wilson
    Hendrick McCarthy Whelan Brady
    Hoolahan
    Murphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so how good are B&H ?? on par with Poland are better?

and this guy Dzeko how good is he?? world class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

fryup wrote: »
    so how good are B&H ?? on par with Poland are better?

and this guy Dzeko how good is he?? world class?

They are far higher in world ranking than Poland but I'm not sure that's an accurate reflection.

I would say it's a very even contest with both teams at full strength but given our absences we are in danger of being unable to score and so being outclassed.

I think Ireland will depend on their spirit for this game and that's not much to be relying on when the opposition will be hugely motivated aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I'd expect Bosnia to be better than Poland. And Pjanic is more of a threat than Dzeko IMO. Lulic from Lazio is a very handy player as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

if its going to be a repeat of Ireland/Estonia playoff that the bosnian commentator will be saying this after they score there 3rd goal

Francuska jeste li spremni za nas

(france are you ready for us)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Is this what we're expecting the team to be?
    Randolph
    Coleman Keogh Clark or Wilson Ward or Wilson
    Hendrick McCarthy Whelan Brady
    Hoolahan
    Murphy

Seems likely but there always one or two shocks in O'Neil selections. Don't be surprised to see Keane on from the start and Wes dropped.

• To the Mods: Just a suggestion but would it make sense to adjust this thread as the match thread for tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

While I'm fully aware that Whelan will play I'd much rather see Hendrick start with McClean on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its going to be a park the bus display from Ireland and O'Neill, guaranteed.

They will be 2 poor games I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I've just edited the title there, use this thread for both match threads please, be easier than making 2 seperate threads.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Can't see us getting anything out of tonight, too many big players missing for us

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

2-0 head says :(
    heart says 1-1 or 0-1 :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

If Wes starts I think we will lose 1-0. If he doesn't I think it will be 2-0. He is vitally important at getting on the ball, slowing things down, giving everyone a breather and letting everyone get back into their positions. If he doesn't play we will just play long balls to Murphy, constantly giving up possession and thus inviting them on to attack us. If that's the case then I can see them scoring twice.

I just can't see us scoring unless we can get something from a set piece. I would bite the hand off someone for a 2-1 defeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

B&H are a better side then we are, slightly so when we have our first 11 available and by a margin considering how many of our first choice players are missing for us tonight. Getting something from the game tonight is a must. If we loose it can only be by a goal and we need to score ourselves say 2-1 loss and try and beat them 1-0 at home. A score draw and even a 0-0 will be something. If we loose by a couple of goals we have probably had it I don't think we have the players to turn the tie around in the event of that scenario. Gonna try and be optimistic though, need a bit of luck tonight for a start.

I'd play Wes in a heartbeat tonight. What he might not offer in terms of putting in a defensive shift, a point that is exaggerated and overstated by many observers, the fact that he holds onto the ball well and can find a man with a pass takes the pressure off our defense as its not constantly coming back at us which is half the battle... And remember yes please don't play Ward at left full.. !

Strumms wrote: »
    B&H are a better side then we are, slightly so when we have our first 11 available and by a margin considering how many of our first choice players are missing for us tonight. Getting something from the game tonight is a must. If we loose it can only be by a goal and we need to score ourselves say 2-1 loss and try and beat them 1-0 at home. A score draw and even a 0-0 will be something. If we loose by a couple of goals we have probably had it I don't think we have the players to turn the tie around in the event of that scenario. Gonna try and be optimistic though, need a bit of luck tonight for a start.

I'd play Wes in a heartbeat tonight. What he might not offer in terms of putting in a defensive shift, a point that is exaggerated and overstated by many observers, the fact that he holds onto the ball well and can find a man with a pass takes the pressure off our defense as its not constantly coming back at us which is half the battle... And remember yes please don't play Ward at left full.. !

... and the reason why MON will put everyone behind the ball tonight, and hope the tie is still alive come MOnday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

NIMAN wrote: »
    ... and the reason why MON will put everyone behind the ball tonight, and hope the tie is still alive come MOnday night.

I don't think anyone including MON and the players are deluded to think anything different. It's going to be a battle, it won't be pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Randolph
    Coleman-Keogh---Clark----Wilson
    McCarthy--Whelan
    Hendrick
    Brady--
    Hoolahan

Murphy

Team above is what I'd like to see tonight, with McGeady being the key player coming off the bench after 60 minutes and capable of producing something that leads to a goal. The diamond of McCarthy, Hendrick, Wes and Brady has the potential to keep the ball and put meaningful phases of play together, with Whelan anchoring more behind if play breaks down. Murphy is the best of a bad situation up front, and will offer running and holding up of the ball, which could also be crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

SantryRed wrote: »

Randolph
    McCarthy--Whelan
    Hendrick
    Brady--
    Hoolahan

Murphy

Agree with that team. Certainly the best we have available. Randolph, Clark and Wilson at the back wouldn't fill anyone with confidence but they are literally our only/best options. Tight game. OPs prediction of 1-0, 1-1 seems unfortunately right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Excited for tonight, but I am worried about entering a game against a quite talented Bosnian side, while missing O'Shea, Long and Walters.

Hopefully the likes of McCarthy and Coleman can really up their game and get a foothold for us.

Keep it tight, and try to get back to the Aviva not more than a goal behind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Agree with that team. Certainly the best we have available. Randolph, Clark and Wilson at the back wouldn't fill anyone with confidence but they are literally our only/best options. Tight game. OPs prediction of 1-0, 1-1 seems unfortunately right.

I'd take that and run home to Dublin from Bosnia if I could :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1-1 would be an excellent result! I would take a 2-1 loss even.

• SantryRed wrote: »

Randolph
    McCarthy--Whelan
    Hendrick
    Brady--
    Hoolahan

Murphy

Team above is what I'd like to see tonight, with McGeady being the key player coming off the bench after 60 minutes and capable of producing something that leads to a goal. The diamond of McCarthy, Hendrick, Wes and Brady has the potential to keep the ball and put meaningful phases of play together, with Whelan anchoring more behind if play breaks down. Murphy is the best of a bad situation up front, and will offer running and holding up of the ball, which could also be crucial.

I agree, but it's wishful thinking that O' Neil will change his mind-set on Hoolahan in the away tie.
    I would be very surprised / happy to see him start.

The was my prediction for the home leg, 1 nil away, 1-1 at home leaving us out 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Hendrick out now as well. One positive out of that is maybe they'll have to play Wes now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hendrick out now as well. One positive out of that is maybe they'll have to play Wes now

Where you seeing that?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'd prefer the players getting the most football to play considering all the injuries. With Hendrick now out I wouldn't mind seeing McClean right and Brady left with Wes in between. Robbie or Murphy is a toss up but Murphy might be a bit more able to get himself around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I believe in miracles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Where you seeing that?

Sorry my bad Meyler is out not Hendrick, it's on bbc

Where you seeing that?

Hendrick isn't out from anything i've seen, Meyler is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

sheroman01 wrote: »

Oh no, that post got misconstrued, I meant 1-0 in the away leg and 1-1 back at home, leaving us with a 2-1 defeat :o For sure everybody would take a 1-1 away draw :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I'll be backing Bosnia tonight at 10/11. That way I'll either be delighted with the result if we get a win/draw or cover the cost of my tickets for Monday.

Come on Ireland

• Soups123 wrote: »
    I'll be backing Bosnia tonight at 10/11. That way I'll either be delighted with the result if we get a win/draw or cover the cost of my tickets for Monday.

Come on Ireland

Price for 1-1 tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Price for 1-1 tonight?

11/2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If you were a premier league manager, and your priority was to instill a real passing and ball playing culture in your team.

Would you make a move in the trensfer market for any of that list?

Instilling a "real passing and ball playing culture" is a bit open to interpretation. So let's be clear, I'm not talking about introducing tiki taka here. I'm just talking about controlling and passing the ball better than what we have been doing. For reference, over the course of the campaign just gone, excluding games against Gibraltar, our average passes completed per game was 246. A figure that would leave us in the bottom four of the PL for passing over the last four seasons including the current one. It's a bit of a crude measure, but it gives you an idea about what we're talking about.

Assuming we ignore the fact that all England based players are overpriced compared to players playing elsewhere, I would say players like McCarthy, Hendrick, Meyler, Arter, Brady, Wilson and Coleman would definitely be good signings if you were building a side with an eye to playing a more possession oriented style in the PL. Hoolahan is too old for a club to be spending money on, but he would definitely fit well into that style if he was there. Our wingers and strikers aren't anything special in that regard, but as a group they're nowhere near bad enough at it that they would prevent you from following this type of approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have to work tonight and am preparing for the worst when I check live score and have to get a tooth out Tuesday morning after we exit the competition on Monday. No drink for me this weekend. Life lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The Bosnian's upturn in form since their new manager took over looks a bit ominous - link

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Have to work tonight and am preparing for the worst when I check live score and have to get a tooth out Tuesday morning after we exit the competition on Monday. No drink for me this weekend. Life lol

Watching these games could be more painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Dots1982 wrote: »
    OK what i mean by decisive as scoring or assisting or preventing goals...anything good but less than that is making a good contribution.

Was he the outstanding difference between Ireland winning and losing, unlikely.

That is pretty much the what being decisive means.

How do you measure preventing goals? Clearing it off the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

The combination of Ireland missing a couple of key players, playing away and playing a team that have found a bit of form leads me to believe that tonight's match will be a bumpy ride. I'd be quite happy to be wrong on this but I can say pretty confidently that if Ireland plays like Poland away and Scotland away, then Ireland will lose. Let's see some gumption tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

I'd be amazed if this game doesn't end 0-0 tonight. Make no mistake about it, we want a draw. I can't see us scoring tonight given our injuries and suspensions in attack.

Bosnia are no world beaters, there's a reason they've never qualified for the Euros.

It won't be pretty viewing but who cares once we get some sort of a result.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Calling a Very VERY Scrappy 1-1 Draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Nib wrote: »
    I'd be amazed if this game doesn't end 0-0 tonight. Make no mistake about it, we want a draw. I can't see us scoring tonight given our injuries and suspensions in attack.

Bosnia are no world beaters, there's a reason they've never qualified for the Euros.

Is the reason because they're only 20 or so years old? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

Nib wrote: »

A nil - nil would put Ireland on edge for Dublin. It would become all about not conceding rather than a positive attitude. A scoring draw or better is the only result to play for.

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    A nil - nil would put Ireland on edge for Dublin. It would become all about not conceding rather than a positive attitude. A scoring draw or better is the only result to play for.

If we were to draw 1-1 tonight, then we'd probably play for a 0-0 at home.

If we were to draw 0-0 tonight, then we'd probably play very defensive on Monday night and hope to nick a goal from a set piece.

Either way, it's going to be dull. O'Neills not going to dramatically change tactics he has relied on for decades.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement