Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep of Ireland (1) vs Bosnia (1), Euro qualifier playoff 2nd leg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Our goals against column is unbelievably good. Especially when we,be bee switching goalies, centre back and left backs almost every game.

Whelan has been a rock , and towards the end if the group Hendrick and McCarthy
    Work rate more like a Gaelic team than a soccer team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

briany wrote: »
    Does anyone have any more information about who was doing the catcalling during the minute's silence? Obviously we were so engrossed in the game we paid little thought to it afterward, but it was bad form all around.

Was listening to radio on way home , you could clearly hear " Bosnia " being shouted followed by lots of Sshhhhhhh at the moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Isnt Crowley back playing for England or have people being winding me up

Harry Arter is the only player capable of breaking into that squad that hasnt played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Dempsey wrote: »
    Isnt Crowley back playing for England or have people being winding me up

Harry Arter is the only player capable of breaking into that squad that hasnt played

Crowley scored for England u19s over the weekend. Arter if he can stay fit could be useful. Alan Judge too at Brentford looks quality. Apart from that don't see much else

Crowley is brilliant but his chopping and changing makes me think he'll never commit wholeheartedly to anything.

Forgot about Judge but he has to turn water into wine tbh considering how MON picks squads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Time to change the thread title to Ireland 3 Bosnia 1 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Crowley is brilliant but his chopping and changing makes me think he'll never commit wholeheartedly to anything.

Forgot about Judge but he has to turn water into wine tbh considering how MON picks squads

Crowley will try for England, at least he has gone with them now. Playing for England & sticking with them saves him from the Circus that Grealish created. Judge is always in the initial 40 man squad that MON picks, but then gets cut along with the likes of Cox & Green everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I didnt think of any way to divide them because there is no division

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

That candle I lit back in September in Düsseldorf must be still burning!

Gerrrrup you pup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Clark's performance in the playoffs is another bonus. That's an area of the pitch where we really need new blood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

ColeTrain wrote: »
    It's also nice that the football team will now be the biggest draw in the country. It was hard to follow all the hype in the media about the rugby team, sure they're a decent team but if you were to believe the hype, they were beyond reproach and despite accomplishing nothing at the World Cup, in some parts were still lauded for failing.

This Irish team, without any hyped up superstars, completely turned their fortunes around and beat the World Champions doing it, while managing to negotiate a difficult play-off. Watch all the rugby snobs ( not all rugby supporters mind but a sizeable minority ) climb the bandwagon when the road to Paris begins.

If our football team were considered a top 4 team by the rest of the world's media before the Euros, it might be foregiveable for our own media to get a tad excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

we are in pot 4 :D

one from each other pot (*most likely)

1. france, spain, germany, england, portugal, belgium

2. italy, russia, switzerland, austria, croatia, ukraine*

3. czechrep, poland, romania, slovakia, hungary, sweden*/denmark*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

garra wrote: »
    If our football team were considered a top 4 team by the rest of the world's media before the Euros, it might be foregiveable for our own media to get a tad excited.

Top four? Don't be daft! How many decent teams compete in international rugby? A quick google shows that Japan are ranked 10th, the rugby world went into melt down when they managed to beat another top 10 ranked team, says it all.

The fact is Ireland were over hyped by the media and a lot of people bought it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

BOHSBOHS wrote: »
    we are in pot 4 :D

one from each other pot (*most likely)

1. france, spain, germany, england, portugal, belgium

2. italy, russia, switzerland, austria, croatia, ukraine*

3. czechrep, poland, romania, slovakia, hungary, sweden*/denmark*

More potential for a favorable draw there, but still a few possible 'group of death' combinations as well. Hopefully Ireland are luckier in the draw this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

As it stands;

screenshot_01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

That's some sickener being only 240 points behind Hungary, that's literally the difference of scoring/conceding one measly goal in qualifying?

From that table it would seem the best group we could get is England, Austria/Switzerland, Hungary.
    Worst would be Spain, Italy, Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Was at the game tonight. First off great result, shame we couldn't get the ball down and ball a bit because they are a seriously poor team. Dunno how they're 20th in the world. Just wanted to clear things up about the minute silence... Few of their lads we're shouting 'Kazakhstan' 'keano ' etc etc. The whole of the aviva were shushing them but it kept going, them the booing started. Some Irish lad could be heard shouting out' shut the f up' or words to that effect, and a ripple of laughter went round. Then the clapping started because some of the Bosnians wouldn't shut up and we had to drown them out. Worst minute silence I've ever heard/seen. A shame. Anyway... Back line were excellent tonight. Keogh, Clark, Randolph have exceeded expectations. Roll on France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Not a fan of Keogh, Clark did very well though and Randolph really impressed me all things considered.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Strongest pot 4 you'll ever see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

From the Fifa website. Ireland going to fire up the rankings next month.

CURRENT POINTS 659
    POSSIBLE RANKING POINTS 810

Somewhere in the 20's.

Pity World Cup draw has been done already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Was at the game tonight. First off great result, shame we couldn't get the ball down and ball a bit because they are a seriously poor team. Dunno how they're 20th in the world. Just wanted to clear things up about the minute silence... Few of their lads we're shouting 'Kazakhstan' 'keano ' etc etc. The whole of the aviva were shushing them but it kept going, them the booing started. Some Irish lad could be heard shouting out' shut the f up' or words to that effect, and a ripple of laughter went round. Then the clapping started because some of the Bosnians wouldn't shut up and we had to drown them out. Worst minute silence I've ever heard/seen. A shame. Anyway... Back line were excellent tonight. Keogh, Clark, Randolph have exceeded expectations. Roll on France.

i didn't know what the hell was happening there.

I heard the "shut the fuck up" though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It should never have been made so early, Mid campaign, pure nonsense.
    Should be made once the real business is done at the end of euro qualification.

From where I was tonight it was Irish yobs singing throughout the minutes silence that ruined it. The Bosnians only made some noise near the end and they were inexplicably booed by Irish fans.
    Apart from that the Irish fans were very well behaved. Very young crowd at the match, great to see a new generation of followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Turkey are some underachievers being in pot 4

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Achtung! Bono

Taking slight vindictive pleasure in the reactions of some Scotland fans to the result on tartanarmy. They are freaking out. Resorting to criticising our fans for not spending as long in the stadium after the game as they would have. Also, omly Coleman would get on their team.

I've read every post in that thread and in fairness it is the vast minority who hoped we got "pumped" Most were wishing us well and /or weren't bothered who won as they simply only support Scotland. A lot, as well, having a go at those hoping for our demise for being small minded and embarrassing.

A lot of compliments for our fans and their behaviour when both nations met, as well as the Irish fans enthusiasm at tournaments.

If some on Tartanarmy forum have any axe to grind it's with McCarthy and McGeady, 2 players born and raised in Scotland, yet chose to represent us. They have a bit of a point, there.

I mean, look at the stick Grealish got for choosing England over Ireland, even the odd dig in this thread by some. And he wasn't born in Ireland nor even lived there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I am not going to get all high and mighty about tactics and strength in depth this morning. Just my 2 cents here:

1. I had forgotten how good it feels to win a big match, beating Germany and wining a play-off match (regardless of the opposition, it’s a big game!)
    2. It’s good to be able to watch the team recently work incredibly hard. Hopefully that will stand to them in the tournament because more than likely we will be really up against it like. I will gladly take a win against the pot 3 team and a draw in either of the games against pot 1 or pot 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I don't agree with that
    A minutes applause id fine for a someone that is well know and would have achieved various things throughout his\her life that can be remembered with happiness and celebrated.

But what happened in France was a horrific slaughter of innocent people, it deserves a minutes silence.

It's something to mourn, not to celebrate.

The minutes applause started with George Best a decade ago, it has it's place certainly, but tonight would not have been it's place.

Problem with a minutes silence is that it only takes a few idiots to ruin it.
    If anything, a minute of shouting 'Vive la France!' would have been fitting... shouting defiance that those who perpetrated will not make us stop living our lives.

Anyway, back to the results.... FANTASTIC!
    Great to have a summer tournament to look forward to and party!
    Walters has been player of the campaign without doubt.
    Great article about him here:
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/16/jon-walters-martin-o-neill-republic-of-ireland-bosnia-herzegovina-euro-2016-play-off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Brilliant over the two legs!! Delighted for him.

You haven't a fog

Very good for 1.5 of the games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I won't lie, I wasn't the most confident after seeing Brady in lb, but it fully worked out. Was never a penalty, I'd say the ref thought it hit his left hand, not the right hand that was against his body. But sure his reluctance and ultimate neglect to send Spahic off evened a lot up. Walters, our player of the campaign, tirelessly worked away and got his rewards.

I'd give MON stick at times, but he got it spot on yesterday. It happened in the first leg, and against Germany, so more of that please. I know the football isn't great to watch, but as has been said, at least it isn't like Trap totally stifling any type of play and openly demeaning players. Whelan, another player I'd give awful stick to, stood up big time the last two games. Much better than I can remember.

Fully deserve their place in France, especially given the last few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭james123

Hi Everyone

Anyone know where I can see a stream of last nights Irelands match. RTE sport only seem to have short clips of it.
    Is it just a matter of waiting for them to put it up over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Whelan deserves a lot of credit for bossing midfield.

Was very impressed with him taking charge and constantly talking to the players, probably qualities like that that has led him to captain his club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

james123 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Anyone know where I can see a stream of last nights Irelands match. RTE sport only seem to have short clips of it.
    Is it just a matter of waiting for them to put it up over the next few days.

The whole game is on the player here.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/euro-2016-qualifiers-30003010/10493832/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Nalz wrote: »
    Woooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

What a feeeeeeeelaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayin

We've got Glenn Whelan

Lionely Richie - "Dancing On The Ceiling" tune

this will be going full throttle tonight :)

Still singing it! The man deserves it :)

To the muppet who asked us to stop singing it, all I can say is "oooh what a feeeelaaaaayin"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

That song is bet into my brain. No escaping it.

Not that I want to, tee bee haych.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ColeTrain wrote: »
    It's also nice that the football team will now be the biggest draw in the country. It was hard to follow all the hype in the media about the rugby team, sure they're a decent team but if you were to believe the hype, they were beyond reproach and despite accomplishing nothing at the World Cup, in some parts were still lauded for failing.

This Irish team, without any hyped up superstars, completely turned their fortunes around and beat the World Champions doing it, while managing to negotiate a difficult play-off. Watch all the rugby snobs ( not all rugby supporters mind but a sizeable minority ) climb the bandwagon when the road to Paris begins.

spot on, this country needs the football team doing well, despite what they Rugby people say Rugby is 4th or 5th on the list in Ireland and always will be. its a sport thats about image and being part of the occasion, football is the complete opposite. you will get the odd bit of celebration here and there when the Rugby team wins, but when they lose people dont really care and get back to their lives as normal. a football defeat is like a death in the country at times, massive difference.

wonderful night last night, will live long in the memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The draw we got was really favourable from Pot 4 - doing the draw now with us in Pot3 wouldn't necessarily get us anything better. Realistically avoiding the likes of Spain from Pot 1 is always the most important part imo.
    Whether we are in pot 4,3 or even 2 is kinda secondary as the shape of the groups tends to be similar regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

spot on, this country needs the football team doing well, despite what they Rugby people say Rugby is 4th or 5th on the list in Ireland and always will be. its a sport thats about image and being part of the occasion, football is the complete opposite. you will get the odd bit of celebration here and there when the Rugby team wins, but when they lose people dont really care and get back to their lives as normal. a football defeat is like a death in the country at times, massive difference.

wonderful night last night, will live long in the memory.

Proper rugby fans feel a defeat every bit as much as football fans.

It's just that there seems to be a large proportion of bandwagoners but there's a large proportion of event junkies in the country anyway so it's no surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Don't think it matters who you draw from Pot 1, in fact, a strong Pot 1 team, coupled with weaker teams from Pots 2 and 3 could be more favourable.

The likelihood of beating a Pot 1 team, no matter who they are, is quite small - so you want them to be beating the Pot 2 and 3 teams too, not some weak team that if you think Ireland have a chance against, then you also think the Pot 3 & 2 teams would have a better chance.

A nightmare scenario is to draw a "weaker" Pot 1 team and have them drop points to the Pot 3 team before Ireland get to play them - because they'd be making sure not to drop any more points at all.

If you get a strong team, that everyone expects to get 3 wins, then it comes down to the other two games, and a win and a draw against the other two teams would be enough to get 3rd place and a place in the second round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

dr3.jpg

Delaney getting stuck into celebrations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

who is the guy in the supes get up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

who is the guy in the supes get up?

I think I read he was the kit man somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭james123

Super thanks

apart from the minutes "silence" farce, it has gone unnoticed that several bosnian players didnt wear the black armbands last night, so i assume they refused to wear them.

very poor taste.

apart from the minutes "silence" farce, it has gone unnoticed that several bosnian players didnt wear the black armbands last night, so i assume they refused to wear them.

very poor taste.

When it was pointed out to me, Brady didn't have one on.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Mushy wrote: »
    When it was pointed out to me, Brady didn't have one on.

Was it in the 2nd half? Players change jerseys at half time and could easily lose the armband. Walters isn't wearing one here either.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The starting XI all had armbands on in the team photo.
    So I'd say ScienceNerd is correct that if players changed jerseys at half-time, they didn't end up having the armband on in the second half.

1080660.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Also with short sleeves players might just pull the sleeve over the armband during the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

For the draw does anyone know if teams that were in the same qualifying groups are kept apart ?
    Or is it open draw again ?
    Don't think it matters who you draw from Pot 1, in fact, a strong Pot 1 team, coupled with weaker teams from Pots 2 and 3 could be more favourable.

The likelihood of beating a Pot 1 team, no matter who they are, is quite small - so you want them to be beating the Pot 2 and 3 teams too, not some weak team that if you think Ireland have a chance against, then you also think the Pot 3 & 2 teams would have a better chance.

A nightmare scenario is to draw a "weaker" Pot 1 team and have them drop points to the Pot 3 team before Ireland get to play them - because they'd be making sure not to drop any more points at all.

If you get a strong team, that everyone expects to get 3 wins, then it comes down to the other two games, and a win and a draw against the other two teams would be enough to get 3rd place and a place in the second round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Daz_ wrote: »
    For the draw does anyone know if teams that were in the same qualifying groups are kept apart ?
    Or is it open draw again ?

It's open draw.

The great thing about the Euros is it's 4 pots, one from each in the group, no need for any teams to be kept apart unlike in the WC.

Was it in the 2nd half? Players change jerseys at half time and could easily lose the armband. Walters isn't wearing one here either.

Yeah was second half alright. I said players might take it off for whatever reason, swapping jersey would fit that.

• Advertisement

It's open draw.

The great thing about the Euros is it's 4 pots, one from each in the group, no need for any teams to be kept apart unlike in the WC.

errm:confused::confused::confused::confused:, if they are using seedings/pots, then its anything but an open draw and plenty of teams are being kept apart.

we cant get any of the teams like NI, wales for example.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement