Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep of Ireland (1) vs Bosnia (1), Euro qualifier playoff 2nd leg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

SantryRed wrote: »

Randolph
    Coleman-Keogh---Clark----Wilson
    McCarthy--Whelan
    Hendrick
    Brady--
    Hoolahan

Murphy

Team above is what I'd like to see tonight, with McGeady being the key player coming off the bench after 60 minutes and capable of producing something that leads to a goal. The diamond of McCarthy, Hendrick, Wes and Brady has the potential to keep the ball and put meaningful phases of play together, with Whelan anchoring more behind if play breaks down. Murphy is the best of a bad situation up front, and will offer running and holding up of the ball, which could also be crucial.

I'd say this is the strongest team we could put out tonight. I wouldn't be too surprised at all to see Ward start and Clark drop to the bench though.

Unsure how I feel going into this match, don't think we will win but I'll predict 1-1. Bradys set pieces will be one of our main threats, lets hope they're better than they have been in the last game or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I believe in miracles

you sexy thing

• you sexy thing
    "Where are you from?" should be in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I note even Dunphy, who often places great faith in the Irish team (he believed in the win over Germany to his credit), even he doesn't fancy our chances this time.

If we are still in this tie after the first leg we'll be doing well. I fear we could lose it 3-0 or worse. This could be like the Ireland/Estonia game, only this time we'll be playing the part of Estonia.

I dearly hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be at all confident. It just feels like there's too much that's gone against us.

with O'Shea and Walters back on Monday and possibly Long, at home I would fancy our chances. The question mark is over tonight, I think its hard to call. Thank god the second leg is in Aviva...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I presume this will be on RTE ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Idbatterim wrote: »
    with O'Shea and Walters back on Monday and possibly Long, at home I would fancy our chances. The question mark is over tonight, I think its hard to call. Thank god the second leg is in Aviva...

Why do you think O'shea will be back on Monday, little indication of this and Long's chances are slim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Why do you think O'shea will be back on Monday, little indication of this and Long's chances are slim

is O'shea also carrying an injury. I meant it as a hypothetical with long, wasnt aware o'shea was carrying injury....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I presume this will be on RTE ?

Radio and TV.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Idbatterim wrote: »
    is O'shea also carrying an injury. I meant it as a hypothetical with long, wasnt aware o'shea was carrying injury....

Yeah. Chances are very slim he will be available on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I often note managers state they would prefer to be home in the 2nd leg. What about if it goes to extra time in the 2nd game when you are home. Does the away goals rule in extra time come into play?

As for the game Bosnia should go through. They have had a few unlucky playoffs and you would feel they have learnt from those. We have a poor record in playoffs except against real weak sides like Iran and Estonia who also didn't have a tradition of qualifying for major tournaments.

We will need to nick a goal in Bosnia as I see us conceding at home. We seem to shut out teams better away from home where Walters and Long can be very affective.
    If Brady can improve his crossing and free kick ability we could have a chance. Hopefully the tie will stay alive til next week as the crowd at Aviva may make the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

NIMAN wrote: »
    Radio and TV.

19:45?

• LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    19:45?

Yes kick-off 19.45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Any team announcements yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

3-1 to Bosnia I'm afraid, Pjanic to dominate.

• Mushy wrote: »
    Any team announcements yet?
    7PM me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Ireland XI v Bosnia: Randolph, Coleman, Clark, Keogh, Ward; Whelan, McCarthy; Hendrick, Hoolahan, Brady; Murphy.

Cannot believe Ward manages to get a game over Wilson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Randolph, Coleman, Clark, Keogh, Ward; Whelan, McCarthy; Hendrick, Hoolahan, Brady; Murphy. #COYBIG

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

if we are to have any chance, ward must not be allowed anywhere near the pitch,he is a terrible defender/footballer. I"m going for 90mins of irish defending with a 1-0 Bosnian win with 70%+ possession. No need for sleeping tablets tonight Jesus he does f*****g start,were dooooooooooooooooomed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

At least the midfield seems a bit more proactive, that's something that gives me cause for hope. We can only hope that Ward has a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Nib wrote: »

Cannot believe Ward manages to get a game over Wilson.
    You mean red raw useless Wilson?
    It's a much of a muchness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

You mean red raw useless Wilson?
    It's a much of a muchness.

Wouldn't say that now.. What I would say is his comeback game for Stoke was appalling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ward played against Germany and he was fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Is Wilson fit to play, did he travel ?

If so it's bizarre he'd be left out

Gilesy dropped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Can't see us scoring. Unless BH are absolutely ****e at defending set-pieces.

Johnny Giles doing Movember I see.

Fair play to him.

Nalz wrote: »
    Wouldn't say that now.. What I would say is his comeback game for Stoke was appalling

Wilson or ward I'd be concerned about the both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

This game will suit MON's idea of how football should be played.
    We will see a lot of "defend and hoof". football tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Daryl Murphy hat trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Only a 11,000 capacity stadium !
    As Ward said, like Dalymount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Daryl Murphy hat trick.
    Magician-pulling-a-rabbit-003.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

MON's pre match interview seems to have taken part in the sauna.lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I don't understand why people are so pessimistic about us scoring. Their back four is their weakest link.

SantryRed wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are so pessimistic about us scoring. Their back four is their weakest link.

Our main striker has never scored for us before. I wouldn't bet money on him doing it tonight.

hadepsx wrote: »
    MON's pre match interview seems to have taken part in the sauna.lol.

Apparently there's a problem with their heating system. Me smells a conspiracy!

On a separate note it's a pity we don't have somewhere like them that small and a bit rundown for big games like this. Dallymount would be ideal. But never going to happen with the new landsdowne Road. The impact of a small uncomfortable stadium can't be under estimated. Just look at some of the results the North have gotten playing out of the delapadated Windsor Park. Beating Spain and England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Our main striker has never scored for us before. I wouldn't bet money on him doing it tonight.

Have a funny feeling he might get one tonight. Hes the type of player that defense wont like at all. Depends of course on the service he gets, i.e. looking at you Mr Brady!

1-1 or 2-1 I think (though somewhat baffled at Wards start and I think they will target him so first 20mins critical)

kenco wrote: »
    Have a funny feeling he might get one tonight. Hes the type of player that defense wont like at all. Depends of course on the service he gets, i.e. looking at you Mr Brady!

1-1 or 2-1 I think (though somewhat baffled at Wards start and I think they will target him so first 20mins critical)

I'd take a 0-0 if offered. Just please let us be in it for the second leg.

Very low key build up to this game, the bandwagoners must be biding their time.

Best of luck to the lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Apparently there's a problem with their heating system. Me smells a conspiracy!

On a separate note it's a pity we don't have somewhere like them that small and a bit rundown for big games like this. Dallymount would be ideal. But never going to happen with the new landsdowne Road. The impact of a small uncomfortable stadium can't be under estimated. Just look at some of the results the North have gotten playing out of the delapadated Windsor Park. Beating Spain and England.

I miss the old Lansdowne for that. The new one is too nice and welcoming.

They'll never win Eurovision anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Bosnia came close to winning the Eurovision- they send pretty good enteries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'd take a 0-0 if offered. Just please let us be in it for the second leg.

Being behind by one goal after tonight wouldn't be bad at all.
    Anymore and it's curtains imo.

Whelan has more caps than Roy Keane now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

COME ON IRELAND!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

At a teenage musical with my niece- keep me posted!

Can't decide if their manager looks like Ian Rush or Robert De Niro

Keogh looks like he ran to Bosnia for this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Nib wrote: »
    Keogh looks like he ran to Bosnia for this game.

He's not done running yet!

Ref not too whistle happy anyway by the looks of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Couple of bad passes from Whelan already. Needs to do better.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement