Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord with a problem

Options
  • 10-11-2015 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm an accidental landlord and have a decent tenant, a young man who pays on time and seems to look after the place.

A few weeks ago there was an "attempted" break in at 3am and he left the property to chase the perpetrators. He reckoned they were young men possibly teenagers.
    I paid €250 to get the broken glass replaced.

He called again to say they have returned and smashed even more glass, its going to cost €500 or so to have repaired.

I'm starting to consider where this is going. I don't feel up for paying this indefinitely.

If he has indeed fallen out with some of the local yob's he won't be enticed into moving by the window breaking considering I'll be picking up the tab.

Talking to the Gardai & they reckon there's not much they can do.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Con.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,716 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Were both cases reported to the Gardaí?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Were both cases reported to the Gardaí?

Yes, I checked both were reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

Should he be enticed into moving by a group of yobs?
    If he does move, how will the group of yobs know there is someone else living there before they break the glass again? They are not going to check first.

I would suggest installing cctv.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Time to move him on. Had a similar situation once,.....amazing thing once the tenant left problem disappeared. It'll get worse..stabbing or car damage. Tenant knows the gig.

Jan Laco wrote: »
    Should he be enticed into moving by a group of yobs?
    If he does move, how will the group of yobs know there is someone else living there before they break the glass again? They are not going to check first.

I would suggest installing cctv.

I was referring to to motivation of the yobs in targeting my tenant. I have considered CCTV but as someone who has CCTV in my own home I can say it's next to useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

AmberGold wrote: »
    I was referring to to motivation of the yobs in targeting my tenant. I have considered CCTV but as someone who has CCTV in my own home I can say it's next to useless.

When in doubt, Chuck him out ! He obviously brought that trouble on your property so he won't be any good as a long term tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Get unbreakable glass ,fitted ,
    its not really glass ,it s plastic that does,nt look quiet as good as glass .
    http://www.hammerglass.com/
    the glazier will have it in stock,
    its not as shiny as glass .
    like the glass in certain phones it WILL not break or shatter .
    Costs abit more than standard glass .
    a hammer, rock will bounce off it.
    say paneof standard glass is 10 it might cost 14 euro .

get a least half an inch thick pane .
    unless you are very close it looks like glass.
    http://www.homedepot.com/b/Building-Materials-Glass-Plastic-Sheets/N-5yc1vZbrdg

Polycarbonate Sheets is the technical name

250 times stronger than glass. Ideal for security and protection purposes. Use indoor or outdoor.
    IT can be installed like any glass pane in the same frame ,
    and cut to whatever size you need by the glazier .

it,s used in shops or factorys, warehouse,s .
    looks a bit dull compared to ordinary glass .
    it cannot break,or shatter .
    its not the glass used in pvc doors or windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Your window will be covered by insurance, and unless it's a huge window should only cost 200-300

It's two windows, leaded, and I've already paid for one. I have no insurance on the property other than block insurance which is included as part of my management fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

It's two windows, leaded, and I've already paid for one. I have no insurance on the property other than block insurance which is included as part of my management fees.
    Is it even legal to rent out a place with no insurance? It's certainly foolhardy.

It is the landlord's responsibility to replace the glass. And for those who are advising the OP to evict the tenant, exactly what legal grounds could she use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Personally I think you need to find a new glazier. As 500 sounds. Very expensive. I have been a glazier for 20 years and I rarely hand out bills that hight for domestic glass even with lead

There's no law in relation to contents cover, I have the building covered. God these threads go off in odd directions. I've no plan to evict either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

I always thought contents insurance was the Tennant s responsible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

massy086 wrote: »

You are correct. Furthermore, while specific landlord insurance to cover damage to the rented property and the landlord's fixtures and fittings is not obligatory, if the property is mortgaged, you will find that the bank is most likely require it. Regardless, for the sake of €200-300 which is tax deductible, it's really a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

massy086 wrote: »

But are windows considered contents? Wouldn't tenants be getting insurance coverage for their own contents only, and the landlord for those he owns? Why would a tenant pay insurance on furniture, fixtures and fittings owned by the landlord? Genuine question...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There,s no point in getting expensive lead glass fitted if it can be broken like ordinary glass .

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

Check the lease the one I have has a clause that the tenant pays for broken windows.

Don't know if I'd actually enforce it if not their fault though but guess it provides some cover for a situation like this or general stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But are windows considered contents? Wouldn't tenants be getting insurance coverage for their own contents only, and the landlord for those he owns? Why would a tenant pay insurance on furniture, fixtures and fittings owned by the landlord? Genuine question...

Absolutely not: the LL can insure what s/he owns, the tenant can only insure what s/he owns.

Even if the LL had insurance which covered the windows, then it would be foolish to be claiming too often on it for such a low value item - there's a chance that the insurance company might refuse to cover it.

But all this insurance talk is really off topic.

OP - you need to use local relationships to get this sorted. Do you know any politicians in the area who are likely to have community influence?

Absolutely not: the LL can insure what s/he owns, the tenant can only insure what s/he owns.

Even if the LL had insurance which covered the windows, then it would be foolish to be claiming too often on it for such a low value item - there's a chance that the insurance company might refuse to cover it.

But all this insurance talk is really off topic.

OP - you need to use local relationships to get this sorted. Do you know any politicians in the area who are likely to have community influence?[/quote

Sounds like a job for a local Sinn Fein rep!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Gmaximum wrote: »
    Check the lease the one I have has a clause that the tenant pays for broken windows.

Don't know if I'd actually enforce it if not their fault though but guess it provides some cover for a situation like this or general stupidity

I wonder how that would play out with the prtb? It's something I've never thought about. If I broke a window as a tenant I'd have no problem paying obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

FrStone wrote:
    I wonder how that would play out with the prtb? It's something I've never thought about. If I broke a window as a tenant I'd have no problem paying obviously.

Not sure myself a friend who's a solicitor drew up the lease for me I'll ask him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You have no proof its not the tenant breaking the windows. The tenant is liable for the cost. You could take that approach.

Apart from that none of this has anything to do with the LL. The tenant has to go to the Garda not the LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I believe it's not ownership but 'insurable interest'.

The Tennant could certainly insure the windows if they were so inclined to do so AFAIK but would happily be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I agree about the CCTV. You might find it useless in your house but if they are young thugs then it might be enough to scare em. Also the unbreakable glass sounds great! Have to say I've lived it two previous properties that had glass broken. The first time was at night, someone threw a wine bottle through it. The landlord paid to repair and didn't even question it. The second time it was one of my housemates fault and she fixed it. Would be interesting in hearing the legal position!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I would suggest giving your tenant a warning. Pay this window damage but tell him if it happens again, he will have to pay the costs. I agree things like the windows getting smashed should be paid for by the Landlord but if its a regular occurrence, you cant be expected to pay and the tenant should take some responsibility for what happens in the house he is living in!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

* Good tenant, always pays on time
    * Window was broken, presumably unprovoked (unless you can prove otherwise)
    * He gave chase, potentially encouraging the second damage.
    * Incidents were reported to the gardai on both occasions

Is this a dodgy area? Are these kind of things commonplace?

I suggest the tenant acted reasonably and is no way at fault.

Your property is being vandalised by a third party. They are the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Hi,

I'm an accidental landlord and have a decent tenant, a young man who pays on time and seems to look after the place.

A few weeks ago there was an "attempted" break in at 3am and he left the property to chase the perpetrators. He reckoned they were young men possibly teenagers.
    I paid €250 to get the broken glass replaced.

He called again to say they have returned and smashed even more glass, its going to cost €500 or so to have repaired.

I'm starting to consider where this is going. I don't feel up for paying this indefinitely.

If he has indeed fallen out with some of the local yob's he won't be enticed into moving by the window breaking considering I'll be picking up the tab.

Talking to the Gardai & they reckon there's not much they can do.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Con.

What do you want anyone to say.

Sometimes people may attract the problems, other times the problems just attract themselves.

Ask the young guy what happened, I mean going onto an internet board without speaking to him first on any source of problem.

It may be a simple thing that someone thinks he has money. My next door neighbor is a mechanic and deals in cars for cash with non-nationals. He has had about 5 break-ins over the last 2 years but he knows himself it is cause everyone knows he deals in cash.

Ask your tenant first, then see what to do after.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Time to move him on. Had a similar situation once,.....amazing thing once the tenant left problem disappeared. It'll get worse..stabbing or car damage. Tenant knows the gig.
    toptom wrote: »
    When in doubt, Chuck him out ! He obviously brought that trouble on your property so he won't be any good as a long term tenant.
    beauf wrote: »
    You have no proof its not the tenant breaking the windows. The tenant is liable for the cost. You could take that approach.

Apart from that none of this has anything to do with the LL. The tenant has to go to the Garda not the LL.
    Ashbx wrote: »
    I would suggest giving your tenant a warning. Pay this window damage but tell him if it happens again, he will have to pay the costs. I agree things like the windows getting smashed should be paid for by the Landlord but if its a regular occurrence, you cant be expected to pay and the tenant should take some responsibility for what happens in the house he is living in!

Is it any wonder people in this country treat landlords with suspicion in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

keane2097 wrote: »
    Is it any wonder people in this country treat landlords with suspicion in fairness.

So no suggestions yourself no?!?

Im speaking from a tenants point of view! I don't think I would have gone back to my landlord the second time and have the cheek to ask him to pay for the window...yet again!! Regardless of whats happening, its not fair that the landlord has to pay! I have a great relationship with my landlord and if anything is wrong with the house, he will cover all costs no questions asked but I don't take the piss. This tenant sounds like he's taking the piss a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Jesus first the tenant gets his home broken into, then his landlord/lady chucks him out for being a victim of harassment? I'd hate to be you buddy, whoever you are.

And as someone else pointed out, is there going to be a sign on the window when he moves out to explain that it is now safe to stop breaking the windows?

Advertisement