Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord with a problem

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ashbx wrote: »
    So no suggestions yourself no?!?

Im speaking from a tenants point of view! I don't think I would have gone back to my landlord the second time and have the cheek to ask him to pay for the window...yet again!! Regardless of whats happening, its not fair that the landlord has to pay! I have a great relationship with my landlord and if anything is wrong with the house, he will cover all costs no questions asked but I don't take the piss. This tenant sounds like he's taking the piss a bit!

My suggestion is that if you think giving someone a warning for allowing his windows to get broken (:confused:) is a sensible or reasonable thing to do you might want to reconsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Are all these people suggesting "kick him out" because some yobs are breaking windows living in the real bloody world?!

Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

keane2097 wrote: »
    Is it any wonder people in this country treat landlords with suspicion in fairness.

Which of those 4 posters are landlords?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

OP call SA Faughnan ASAP and buy landlord insurance(they are the only broker who can get any reasonable insurance for landlords). If that apartment block burnt to the ground tomorrow. Could you afford to have a loss of rent for 12 months for the apartment block to be refurbished. For literally about 200-300 a year. You can buy insurance to cover a loss of rent for this situation

A family friend had their bedsit burnt to the ground by a feuding tenants. They had a fight with lighter fluid and burnt the building to the ground. He was almost broke as he had to fund the renovation out of pocket and was at a loss of rent for nearly 6 months.

FYI never claim on insurance for small things like windows. It will destroy your no claims bonus. It will cost you in the long run.

Did you ever do a reference check on this tenant? I find it hard to believe someone would go to the trouble to smash your windows a second time over something basic like this. Is there any houses in the area connected with a certain catholic drug charity? I know someone who had neighbours basically accusing a group of 18/19 year old female tenants putting full wheelie bins on cars and destroying the cars paintwork. It turned out to be a group of recovering drug addicts in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

newacc2015 wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe someone would go to the trouble to smash your windows a second time over something basic like this.

I find it remarkably easy to believe. Have you seen some of the scrotes the scum in this country churn out when they breed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Is it any wonder people in this country treat landlords with suspicion in fairness.

Congratulations. It only took 29 posts to try and turn this into a Landlord v Tenant debate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Good suggestions here folks amidst the usual crock of mud slinging.

As I said the tenant is decent and I'd like him to stay.

Along with the tenant I am the victim of these Vandals or whatever they are as I am picking up the tab. The property itself is in negative equity and its now becoming an even worse headache than it already is.

Also trying to get to talk with the Garda thats looking after the case is proving impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Much of it is like your comment, inadequate awareness of the facts and lacking any consideration of the practicalities involved.

Maybe you can elaborate how a LL can fix this issue, and what their remit is as a 3rd party. The LL could make the house a bunker. It still won't fix the problem. If the rental is unsustainable, its unsustainable. Good intentions won't fix that.

beauf wrote: »
    Much of it is like your comment, inadequate awareness of the facts and lacking any consideration of the practicalities involved.

Maybe you can elaborate how a LL can fix this issue, and what their remit is as a 3rd party. The LL could make the house a bunker. It still won't fix the problem. If the rental is unsustainable, its unsustainable. Good intentions won't fix that.

He could put in the unbreakable windows as was suggested earlier in the thread.

While he's waiting for that to happen he could ruminate on the nature of baseless assumptions and what to do when the windows keep getting broken after the tenant is kicked out for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

You could also stick up a dummy camera. It might do the trick.

• Advertisement

He could put in the unbreakable windows as was suggested earlier in the thread.

While he's waiting for that to happen he could ruminate on the nature of baseless assumptions and what to do when the windows keep getting broken after the tenant is kicked out for nothing.

LL can't kick out the tenant. The LL might choose to leave though.

They weren't just breaking windows. They were breaking into the house, and have come back, after being chased. If they are prepared to do that, they will go through the doors or simply rip the windows frames out. They are picking that house/tenant for a reason. Making the house a bunker doesn't change what ever that reason is.

beauf wrote: »
    You are ill-informed.

LL can't kick out the tenant. The LL might choose to leave though.

They weren't just breaking windows. They were breaking into the house, and have come back, after being chased. If they are prepared to do that, they will go through the doors or simply rip the windows frames out. They are picking that house/tenant for a reason. Making the house a bunker doesn't change what ever that reason is.

ok

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

So all we know is your tenant is in conflict with some teens,
    and theres a broken window.
    I suggest getting an unbreakable window fitted,
    in the meantime.
    I can no point in getting another 200 euro glass window fitted.
    if this continues or gets worse the tenant will probably move out.
    The gardai don,t really have resources to check on 1 broken window.
    my friends car got robbed, 200 euro taken.the car has no alarm system.
    the gardai showed up,at 2.40 ,the middle of the night .
    They said Ah well,sure dont you have car insurance.
    he leaves money in his car all the time.I don,t expect a full garda task force to go after a few teens over one broken window.
    they have to deal with drug dealers, burglars etc it wont be on the top of their list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

riclad wrote: »
    . . . they have to deal with drug dealers, burglars etc it wont be on the top of their list.

Erm . . . ?? Didn't this start due to a burglary ?

Also insuring a house with tenants in it costs a lot more that 2-300 euro. We currently have a quote for such insurance on a rented property and it's over 500 euro !

Ken

I doubt Burglary is top of their list either.

Right, after having a long chat with the Gardai, local shopkeepers and other residents whom I know personally I'm nearly convinced there's something else going on.

Burglars don't come back to break windows because they were scared off the first time.
    There is apparently no problem in the area with youths causing trouble
    There are nearly 2000 dwellings in this development and the management company tell me they have had no other reported cases this year of properties being vandalised, Gardai confirm this also

I'm starting to think there may possibly be a drug debt involved for other reasons. But would this be reported to the Gardai, likely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

AmberGold wrote: »
    Right, after having a long chat with the Gardai, local shopkeepers and other residents whom I know personally I'm nearly convinced there's something else going on.

Burglars don't come back to break windows because they were scared off the first time.
    There are nearly 2000 dwellings in this development and the management company tell me they have had no other reported cases this year of properties being vandalised, Gardai confirm this also

I'm starting to think there may possibly be a drug debt involved for other reasons. But would this be reported to the Gardai, likely not.

Sounds like a lot of hearsay. Not being funny but it would make more sense to pay your drug dealer before paying your rent, if violence is involved. In the normal run of things, you pay off high interest loans first, but I have never heard of a bank teller smashing a window for a missed mortgage payment. I do sympathise with landlords but the reality is it could take months for a landlord to evict someone, if they stop paying rent. Who know what the real situation is. Might be worth pricing some additional security for the house OP, and for good sake sort out some insurance.

I spoke to the management company today and the block insurance covers everything but contents. The excess is however €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

I spoke to the management company today and the block insurance covers everything but contents. The excess is however €500.

So no point in claiming there have u ordered the new glass yet

massy086 wrote: »
    So no point in claiming there have u ordered the new glass yet

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

A burglar could of come back for revenge due to being chased, because of someone actually standing upto them, and calling the garda.
    If it were a drug debt I don't think your rent would of been upto date so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

MY advice is get a shatter proof window installed,
    cost 100-150 euros,
    including labour .Hold on to the receipt and claim it as a maintenace expense
    on your tax return.
    Unless the gardai were there within 10 minutes ,how would they know he called them.
    Burglars only want to steal ,money,ipads,laptops ,
    revenge does not really come in to it.
    unless your tenant is had an argument with some teens .
    Maybe he had an affair with some ones wife, girfriend ,
    ,or maybe he got drunk ,
    got into a fight with some one.
    ie it might be nothing to do with drugs.
    IF excess means if you claim anything you pay 300 euros,
    then there,s no point in making a claim on the window replacement.
    Even if you give him notice to quit he can stay there for 6 months plus ,
    if he wants to.
    burglars tend to go for empty house,s ,
    less chance of being caught or seen going into an apartment block.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Does the room he is staying in have a fire escape apart from the window? Is it a basement window? If so would you consider putting bars on the window? This would only work if he has another fire escape route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP burglers may not come back to break windows, your right, but they sometimes try again if they don't get what they want the first time.

There were no other houses on my friends road broken into a few months ago but hers was. It doesn't mean there was anything dodgy going on with her but just that the house was targeted & not the others on the road for some reason. And in that instance the Gardai warned her that because they didn't get much the first time (were disturbed), they could try again.

Do you have any reason at all to suspect that there's drugs involved? Honestly do you think the tenant would have reported anything to the Gardai if there was something dodgy going on? It's hardly a great idea on their part & not like they're scamming to get more money. I actually can't see any benefit to the tenant for doing this at all.

Might simply be after a specific car, bicycle or such.

A friend had a car stolen and when recovered all that was missing was a drawing pad and some crayons.

Advertisement