Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop has problems when plugged in.

Options
  • 10-11-2015 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I have a new lenovo laptop its maybe a month old. Anyway it works perfectly when its working just with the battery but as soon as its plugged in it starts having problems. Firstly as soon as I connect the power lead it goes straight into sleep mode and I have to use the power button to turn it back on. Then once its back on I can hardly move the cursor it reacts very slowly when you try to move it. Then as soon as I unplug it it works perfectly again. Also when I try to turn it on when its plugged in it wont switch on. After the initial blue loading screen it goes straight to sleep mode. Yet when I turn it on with just the battery it switches on as normal. Its under warranty so I can bring it back but I dont want to be without it if there is a simple fix. Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Hi there,

Make sure you change your power options when you plug it in,might fix it,go to start,control panel and power options put all to never turn off screen reply back here if it aint fixed after that and il try to help you out bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭shane7

kodistar wrote: »
    Hi there,

Make sure you change your power options when you plug it in,might fix it,go to start,control panel and power options put all to never turn off screen reply back here if it aint fixed after that and il try to help you out bit more.

Hi thanks for the suggestion. I tried that I switched them all to never turn off. But as soon as I plugged in the power lead again it just went straight into sleep mode. When i switched it back on the cursur would barely move until I unplugged the cable and then it was perfect again. Any other suggestions I could try.

Another option go into the bios and have a look at power options and see if it says sleep is turned on when you plug in your charger make sure its turned off.

To get into bios on lenovo is delete r f1 if it new laptop to do it you will have to get a pin and press button beside power jack you will see it if you google it you will see what i mean.hope i helped

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Prevent sleep mode - Windows 7
    While performing an on-demand scan on your computer, it may be necessary to adjust the power options to prevent the computer from automatically going to sleep mode after being idle for some time. Here is how it is done on Windows 7.

Power Options control panel: Start button > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options

On the Power Options control panel you can also create a second power plan configured this way. In Windows 7 there are three plans:

- Balanced (sleeps in 30 minutes),
    - Power saver (15 min) and
    - High performance (Never sleep).
    Two are always visible, but the third one is often hidden. The third one can be made visible by clicking "Show additional plans". To prevent sleep while CSAM is scanning, just select the "High performance" plan.

You can also just edit your current power plan:

Go to the Power Options control panel
    On the left hand menu, select "Change when the computer sleeps"
    Change the "Put the computer to sleep" value to "Never".

Try del ,or f5 ,f10, on power up to acess bios menu.
    switch off sleep mode, or power saving mode if there is one.
    post the laptop model here, eg hp 540h .

Maybe try boot up press f8 select safe mode ,using arrow up,down, enter keys.
    see if it stays on in safe mode ,
    Safe mode go,s to basic standard windows drivers in windows 7,or 8 .

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭shane7

Hi.
    So I tried all that. The only success I had was booting up in safe mode. It booted up ok with the cable plugged in and didn't go into safe mode. However the cursor is still unresponsive in safe mode but once I unplug the cable the cursor is fine again.
    If its booting up ok in safe mode I wonder if its an issue with the drivers.

The model is Lenovo 80es

Thanks for the suggestions

• Advertisement

Seem like it could be a driver issue download latest from windows update and make sure you have right one and update installed.

i,m not an expert on windows 10,
    go to control panel, device manager,
    is there any yellow icons ,
    Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly
    Windows 7 More
    If you have a hardware device that isn't working properly with your computer, you probably need an updated driver. There are three ways to update a driver:

Use Windows Update. You might need to set Windows Update to automatically download and install recommended updates.

Install software from the device manufacturer. For example, if your device came with a disc, that disc might contain software that installs a driver for the device.
    a yellow icon x indicates the device is not working maybe the driver is not installed for that device,

Download and update the driver yourself. Use this method to install a driver that you download from the manufacturer's website. Do this if Windows Update can't find a driver for your device and the device didn't come with software that installs a driver. The Windows 7 Compatibility Center website lists thousands of devices, and has direct links to driver downloads.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/update-driver-hardware-isnt-working-properly#update-driver-hardware-isnt-working-properly=windows-7

maybe you are using the wrong graphics card driver

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Xl4L-D464Xw/maxresdefault.jpg

click on device manager ,graphics card display adaptor , eg ati radeon driver,
    does it say its working ok.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/device-manager-windows-8.htm

Windows safe mode loads a basic vga generic video card device driver .
    you may need to reinstall the video driver .

Reinstall the video card graphics adaptor driver,
    IF its not working ok in device manager.
    X Yellow icon =device driver not installed ,or device not working.
    if this does not work,
    run a full virus scan.
    A driver file could be erased .or a driver needs to be updated to a new version.
    Reboot laptop see if it works ok,
    does not go into sleep mode.

I was fixing a pc, the keyboard was not working ,
    everything else worked ok.
    i had to reinstall the keyboard driver to get it working.
    A Virus had erased the keyboard driver file .
    Safe mode loads up basic generic microsoft drivers to run the laptop,
    at a lower resolution maybe 1024x768.
    It loads a basic generic video driver vga driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Check if you have lenovo power manager in add remove programs, It is possible this is causing issues when plugged in

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2017357/why-how-and-where-to-update-your-windows-8-drivers.html
    check the drivers on device manager the all the ones for the motherboard
    chipset video grahics adaptor etc

maybe update the video card driver.
    Theres a problem with with the drivers or the program that control the power settings ,sleep mode for that laptop .

• Advertisement

You can check is there an hardware problem,
    by burning a live cd linux mint 7.
    IT fits on 1 cdr 640meg iso file.
    Boots from cd, it has a browser,firefox music,video player built in.

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/649

browse to iso file use “Burn Image” menu option in the windows cd burning program,

http://theunlockr.com/2013/04/25/how-to-burn-iso-files-in-windows-8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

This may have nothing to do with it but probably worth checking the registry settings for AC
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/171042-sleep-return-timeout-unattended-wake-up.html

disable sleep mode windows 8,
    Be careful to type in exactly what is shown in the link,
    http://www.microcenter.com/tech_center/article/6064/How_to_permanently_disable_sleep_mode_in_Windows_8

Advertisement