Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monday to Wednesday renting Dublin

Options
  • 10-11-2015 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33 stupid_is_as _stupid_does

Hi all, I am living and working in Dublin and planning to move down to Galway after Christmas. The plan is to rent a box room Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights in Dublin and commute or work from home the Friday.

I would just be looking for somewhere to rest my head for the night as id be working late those evenings.

Do you think i would be able to find such a place for about €250 per month for a long term 3 night per week arrangement, maybe in an owner occupier place? Based on what i am paying at the moment for a double ensuite (600pm) this seems reasonable.

I plan to post an ad on daft. Is there anywhere else i could look? Sorry for all the questions. I am trying work out costs and feasibility. Thanks for any help or advice you can provide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi all, I am living and working in Dublin and planning to move down to Galway after Christmas. The plan is to rent a box room Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights in Dublin and commute or work from home the Friday.

I would just be looking for somewhere to rest my head for the night as id be working late those evenings.

Do you think i would be able to find such a place for about €250 per month for a long term 3 night per week arrangement, maybe in an owner occupier place? Based on what i am paying at the moment for a double ensuite (600pm) this seems reasonable.

I plan to post an ad on daft. Is there anywhere else i could look? Sorry for all the questions. I am trying work out costs and feasibility. Thanks for any help or advice you can provide.
    250 a month wouldn't be worth a landlords while considering the inconvience of having some one in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 33 stupid_is_as _stupid_does

ted1 wrote: »
    250 a month wouldn't be worth a landlords while considering the inconvience of having some one in the house

For thee nights a week in a small single room? I wouldnt be even looking for access to sitting room. I would need kitchen access to prepare breakfast and a snack in the evening. I can get dinner in work.

Im not thinking professional landlord, more someone with a spare room. Anyway thanks for your reply. I am just a bit surprised. 250 is not much but it certainly isnt nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They can get (much) more for a 5 day rental even if they're desperate to have free weekends.

L1011 wrote: »
    They can get (much) more for a 5 day rental even if they're desperate to have free weekends.

I suppose. I hadn't thought of it like that. I thought some people might like the thought of a bit extra money for minimal intrusion. Thanks for the reply. Do you think 300 is still unrealistic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

€250 pm tax free is not to be sniffed at. I'd say you might be able to find somewhere. no harm posting an ad on daft anyway!

• Advertisement

dearg lady wrote: »
    €250 pm tax free is not to be sniffed at. I'd say you might be able to find somewhere. no harm posting an ad on daft anyway!

Thanks dearg lady. Was a bit deflated there as too much more wont be viable financially as Galway rents have increased significantly over the last couple of years since I moved up to Dublin. I will definitely give it a try anyway.

I suppose. I hadn't thought of it like that. I thought some people might like the thought of a bit extra money for minimal intrusion. Thanks for the reply. Do you think 300 is still unrealistic?

Yes.

5 day rental would be 500 or so. There is practically no reason at all to prefer a 3 day rental over a 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

Yes.

There is practically no reason at all to prefer a 3 day rental over a 5.

This is an incorrect generalisation.

Yes.

5 day rental would be 500 or so. There is practically no reason at all to prefer a 3 day rental over a 5.

I will put up the ad anyway, I reckon you are right that 250 might be a bit low but I will try 300 and highlight important elements such as not looking for sitting room access, and that I would not be cooking dinners, just breakfast and quick snacks in the evening. Who knows, I might get lucky. Also the fact that I am happy with a small single room might help. Thanks for your comments anyway as they have helped manage my expectations somewhat. However, I am still determined to make it work.

This is an incorrect generalisation.

What reasons are there, then?

To be incorrect you're going to have to have quite a number of them (And they need to make sense)

You will get the very, very, very rare person who wants some extra cash but as little disruption as possible but the number of those that exist and would be willing to sacrifice extremely easy to get income for an almost imperceivable difference in disruption is practically none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

Maybe look at B+B's and negotiate a rate with them or have a look at afew of the backpackers hostels.
    Room will be hard to find as alot of that kind accommodation will have students already Monday-Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

For thee nights a week in a small single room? I wouldnt be even looking for access to sitting room. I would need kitchen access to prepare breakfast and a snack in the evening. I can get dinner in work.

Im not thinking professional landlord, more someone with a spare room. Anyway thanks for your reply. I am just a bit surprised. 250 is not much but it certainly isnt nothing.

They still lose use of the room and have a stranger living with them for the sake of 250 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

My neighbour takes Irish Students monday to Friday, sleep 4 nights with meals gets €140 per week.

For 12 nights at €250 a month is working at roughly €20 per night in Dublin. A host family would be ideal but by having someone for just a short time, it means they can't take other students- 7 days or 4 days, which would bring in more income.

If you go outside into the surburbs you may get lucky.

What reasons are there, then?

To be incorrect you're going to have to have quite a number of them (And they need to make sense)

For your "practically no reason at all" to be incorrect there only has to be one single person who that arrangement would suit. I have no interest in listing potential scenarios to you. I only replied because I know of a couple of house-owners with spare rooms currently doing this because they are barely at home Monday-Wednesday and want their house empty while they are there.

OP - it's a longshot, but in a city the size of Dublin there is every chance you will find that one place you need to. At that price though you'll need to look at the outskirts of Dublin or less desirable areas.

For your "practically no reason at all" to be incorrect there only has to be one single person who that arrangement would suit.

One person is "practically none", so no - its not incorrect

If you're going to try be pedantic, at least be accurate.

fair enough. I can't argue with the definition of practically. :)

But if the OP does find one, add that to the two I already know!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

Look for B&B Not everybody is greedy
    Some B&B would be happy to rent 3 nights for Euro 10-15.00 per night
    for a long term Monday-Wedn the less occupied days every week

I have a lodger/agreement exactly as described in the OP.

Guy stays Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night and commutes up/down Monday morning/Thursday evening.

It suits us both quite well, as he's a professional with a family etc in schools back home, so just quietly goes about his business, and we have a contribution to the monthly rent.

There's no harm whatsoever in looking for the same opportunity in Dublin. Surely there would be people who might be interested in a lodger to assist with the mortgage, but would prefer it not to be a student? Just because it might not suit you personally, doesn't mean that there aren't people who would be interested.

We used spareroom (uk), there is an Irish version - http://ie.easyroommate.com/spareroom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

OP hot water (I assume you will be showering), electricity, the heating will be on, probably want to use wifi and maybe you want to put a tv in your room, water charges....€250 really isn't much to a LL when your taking in these costs, but hopefully you would be lucky, keep us posted how your search goes.

mel123 wrote: »
    OP hot water (I assume you will be showering), electricity, the heating will be on, probably want to use wifi and maybe you want to put a tv in your room, water charges....€250 really isn't much to a LL when your taking in these costs, but hopefully you would be lucky, keep us posted how your search goes.

I'd imagine the 250 was excluding these costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Try airbnb, if you find a place that suits they might do an off-airbnb regular booking. Presumably you won't need to keep much personal stuff in the room for three nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Where in Dublin are you willing to stay?

Hi all OP here. Thanks for all the replies, suggestions and advice.

I am on the phone and cant multi quote so ill adress a few posts here.

First regarding bills i would of course discuss that with the person i was renting a room from and come to a rent and bills level that was agreeable.

Thanks for the easyroommate and airbnb suggestions. I will certainly use these resources when i start looking properly (hope to make the move end of january). These tips are exactly why i started the thread.

Regarding where i am willing to live. I would not live in a very rough estate but anywhere within a 30-35 minute cycle from city centre as i have a bike i can leave in a work lockup thursday to monday.

Thanks again for all the great responses. I appreciate people taking the time to post. I will let ye know how i get on in case anyone searches boards looking for similar information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

al22 wrote: »
    Look for B&B Not everybody is greedy
    Some B&B would be happy to rent 3 nights for Euro 10-15.00 per night
    for a long term Monday-Wedn the less occupied days every week

So someone trying to earn a living by charging market rates for B&B is now "greedy"? Jesus wept.

Advertisement