Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a PC?

Options
  • 10-11-2015 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Can any recommend any good sites where I can build a PC.
    I haven't had a desktop for years so am pretty clueless as to where to look.
    I'll be working and gaming on it so will be hoping to build something with a pretty decent spec.

EDIT: Very sorry!! I looked at the top for a sticky but only saw the first two threads and completely overlooked the thread on building a pc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Are you looking to build yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

I don't think I could really trust myself to put together a pc so was really more looking to buy something that I could customise to suit myself.
    Is there much to building a pc? I imagine I'd make quite a substantial saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Customising is expensive, you can get decent prebuilts from the likes of dabs or eBay

There's like 8 parts, and about 6 wires. It's basically expensive lego

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Honestly, your best to get the parts and there's plenty of boardsies who would build it for you for a small fee.
    It wouldn't take more than an hour to do it fully.
    Plus, you would learn a lot from it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

Brillant, thanks for the replies. I'll look into it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Honestly, your best to get the parts and there's plenty of boardsies who would build it for you for a small fee.
    It wouldn't take more than an hour to do it fully.
    Plus, you would learn a lot from it :)

First build will take a lot more than an hour.
    I did mine last year and laughed at videos that said 4 hours. Reckon it was pretty close to that by the time I'd everything finished.
    Although you probably shouldn't start your first build half asleep at 9pm on a Friday after a long week in work.

But it is certainly very doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭michaelotoole

Building a PC isn't difficult but you have to be careful with a few steps...

1: I would recommend viewing several of the excellent youtube videos first...
    2: Take your time and if in doubt about anything, ask a friend or post in one of the tech support forums...
    3: Check, then recheck connections before plugging in power cord...

When connecting cables, connectors and plugging in boards, never force them... if you have to force something the chances are you have the wrong cable, connector or it's the wrong way round... For example, RAM must be the right way round...

Seating the processor and adding the thermal paste and heatsink is probably the most difficult part so follow the instructions in the video and take your time... you can always do it again if your not happy...

There are so many advantages to building your own PC, it should be thought in school ;)
    Mike

Advertisement