Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are landlords rushing to increase rent

Options
  • 11-11-2015 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Based on the details provided on the new rent controls (http://www.thejournal.ie/alan-kelly-rents-housing-2435446-Nov2015/) can anyone explain to me why landlords are rushing to iincrease rents before the legislation comes into affect (there are a few threads here already about recent increases).

If someone's rent has been reviewed already this year then the legislation will mean it cant be changed for 2 years rather than 1. If its over a year since rent has been reviewed then I'm not sure I understand why it matters whether that review happens before the legislation in enacted or after. The one reason I can see for it is that the new legislation indicates that a landlord must give 3 months notice so if a landlord did intent to increase the rent he misses out on two months of the inreasesd rate if he waits until after the legislation comes into affect.

Am I missing something obvious here?
    BB
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement