Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chrono24

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Best advice is to 'buy the seller'.
    And are you sure those watches are good deals?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Menas wrote: »
    Best advice is to 'buy the seller'.
    And are you sure those watches are good deals?!

I've heard that before alright but as someone who is tempted to go down the chrono24 route to get a better watch 2nd hand for the same amount I am willing to spend new, then how does one "buy the seller"? I found one seller "Royal Trade" in Italy that have good deals on tags new (aqua quartz grande date for 1300 plus 120 delivery), but when I googled I got a stream on tz complaining about their service.....just looking for some advice like the OP....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭893bet

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    I've heard that before alright but as someone who is tempted to go down the chrono24 route to get a better watch 2nd hand for the same amount I am willing to spend new, then how does one "buy the seller"? I found one seller "Royal Trade" in Italy that have good deals on tags new (aqua quartz grande date for 1300 plus 120 delivery), but when I googled I got a stream on tz complaining about their service.....just looking for some advice like the OP....

You have answered your own question. You googled the shop and it has bad reviews.

Have you joined TZ yet? If not why not?

893bet wrote: »
    You have answered your own question. You googled the shop and it has bad reviews.

To be fair to the place, it only came up in one thread and the thread opener was asking others of their experience. plenty weighed in with positive but by the end of the thread the guy was P-ed off as his delivery never came or something, there really wasn't anything else in the cursory check I made out of curiosity (their prices were very good....).....but is it not a case that someone somewhere will have a bad experience in most cases and its only these that you'll hear about?

I'll join this evening boss!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Chrono24 is a portal site, an umbrella for various dealers with the odd collector account. It offers no guarantees and IMHO is little better than going via ebay. Actually ebay and paypal offer far more guarantees. From my perusing down the years prices are stiff to say the least, with the German dealers being the most expensive.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Chrono24 is a portal site, an umbrella for various dealers with the odd collector account. It offers no guarantees and IMHO is little better than going via ebay. Actually ebay and paypal offer far more guarantees. From my perusing down the years prices are stiff to say the least, with the German dealers being the most expensive.

SO is TZ the go to place for used?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

893bet wrote: »

I think that seller was a guy in an apartment who bought in watches to meet the orders he had on chrono24. As Wibbs says, ebay and paypal are safer for a buyer anyway.

I'm on TZ, but you need a fairly high post count (due to spammers and conmen) before you can go on sales corner. WUS have recently brought it in too for their sales corner. It's only right IMO.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I buy almost all of my second hand watches on ebay ranging in price from €30 to €1500.

With the ones that have arrived damaged I have always gotten a full refund including return postage. Good experienced sellers have no problem with this.
    In a couple of cases I have negotiated to a discount as the 'problem' was small and easier for me to fix it myself rather than return it to the seller for a full refund. - eg, a seconds hand fallen off in transit

But in every case I buy from reputable sellers. I need that security!

Oddly enough, I prefer selling on adverts though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

Menas wrote:
    Best advice is to 'buy the seller'. And are you sure those watches are good deals?!

I would have thought sub €400 for what looks like a good condition Omega is a good deal, no? It's the style I am looking for.

As previously mentioned re TZ the post count requirement is annoying!

I would have thought sub €400 for what looks like a good condition Omega is a good deal, no? It's the style I am looking for.

As previously mentioned re TZ the post count requirement is annoying!

Same seller is selling one of your watches cheaper on ebay!

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Auth-Vintage-Omega-DeVille-Quartz-196-0164-Date-17J-Cal-1332-Gold-Plated-Watch-/121673582573

If you like it then go for it. But if it were me I would bide my time...this is a common enough watch and I think you can get it at a better price if you are diligent and patient!

And remember those pesky import customs duties will add to the cost! Buying within the EU eliminates that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

I have used them once and the seller was a jeweler in The Netherlands. The only problem / concern that I had was that the seller would only accept a bank transfer, never purchased a watch like this before and didn't feel overly safe. Worked out well in the long run, the watch arrived safe but unfortunately with no box. I phoned the seller and he offered 100 euro refund as an apology, the watch was a few years old and the box didn't matter to it's overall value and the offer of a good refund was too good to pass up on.

Like any site be it eBay, Chrono24, Adverts.ie or any watch forum always buy the seller, Google repeatedly and ask for references if needed.

Chrono24 do offer an escrow service now but before you use it have a read of this recent thread on Watchuseek http://forums.watchuseek.com/f63/warning-dont-use-chrono24-trusted-checkout-my-vacheron-constantin-seized-customs-2453449.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Anybody has any bad experiences with chrono24? In theory there are some good deals:

http://www.chrono24.co.uk/omega/de-ville--round-serviced--id3815536.htm

or

http://www.chrono24.co.uk/omega/deville-quartz-1960164-17j-date-cal-1332-gold-plated--id3412786.htm

Very tempting but would be wary...

these are pretty small watches by modern standards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

Cyrus wrote:
    these are pretty small watches by modern standards

They are actually, thanks. I don't like very big faces in that kind of watch but that is a bit small. The "dress" type watch I'm wearing at the moment is about 33mm case diameter or 38 mm lug to lug but I would want something like 37 or 38 mm case.

Advertisement