Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible 6 Nations Team?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

the first game will be very tough and if we lose it the grand slam is gone and the triple crown is also gone.

Wouldn't be surprised if we moved to a
    6. SOB
    7. Henry
    8. Heaslip

backrow

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

PTH2009 wrote: »
    the first game will be very tough and if we lose it the grand slam is gone and the triple crown is also gone.

Positive PTH as usual! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

We are lucky that our first game is at home - and of course we would need to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Wouldn't be surprised if we moved to a
    6. SOB
    7. Henry
    8. Heaslip

backrow

If Ruddock can stay fit we could very easily see Ruddock, SOB, Heaslip either.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    If Ruddock can stay fit we could very easily see Ruddock, SOB, Heaslip either.

I just hope SOB is all right. This inner ear problem sounds mysterious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Injuries are going to be hugely problematic for us this season. I don't think Seanie is going to be fit. I'm fairly worried about that inner ear thing tbh. It could see him out for a while. Mike Ross looks to have fallen behind Moore and Furlong at Leinster, and if that's the case I can't see him starting for Ireland. I also don't see Earls getting named at 13 at all. I have McGrath as replacement SH, but I'm not convinced he'll get the nod there. Might we see Marmion at 21 instead? I think we might be looking at something like:

McGrath Best Moore
    Ryan Toner
    Ruddock Heaslip Henry

Murray Sexton
    Fitzgerald Henshaw
    Earls Kearney Trimble

Cronin, Healy, Furlong, Foley, Murphy, McGrath, Madigan, Zebo

Didn't realise Ross was out of the Leinster altogether. My thinking ws that we have lost POC and POM from the pack and probably their replacement in Henderson so we might need Ross's experience. But if he isn't in the Leinster 23 he has very little.chance of starting or even being involved at all with Ireland.

bilston wrote: »
    Didn't realise Ross was out of the Leinster altogether. My thinking ws that we have lost POC and POM from the pack and probably their replacement in Henderson so we might need Ross's experience. But if he isn't in the Leinster 23 he has very little.chance of starting or even being involved at all with Ireland.

Well he wasn't in the last 2 squad announcements. And I'd have thought if he was due to play in Toulon he'd have gotten at least some game time against Glasgow or Ulster. That said, it's only been 2 weeks so I may be jumping the gun a bit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I would like to see

McGrath
    Best
    Moore

Toner
    Henderson

--Stander----Heaslip
    O'Brien----

Murray----Sexton

McCloskey--Henshaw

Gilroy
    Fitzgerald

Kearney

Doubt we will see that or close to it though.

In particular, our back 3 is in desperate need of quality broken field runners. Not sure who is out there apart from Gilroy who offers that, but we need something different. I think Bowe is finished for Ireland and I don't think Dave Kearney offers enough in attack.

^^ Henderson is out for the season :(

If you want broken field runners you have to have Earls @ 14 btw

• Advertisement

McGrath Best Moore
    Toner Ryan
    Ruddock Heaslip SOB

Murray Sexton
    McCloskey Henshaw
    Fitzgerald R Kearney Earls

Cronin, Healy, Furlong, Foley, Murphy, McGrath, Madigan, Timble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I'm not banking on SOB being there unfortunately. I think Stander will at least be on the bench, especially with no POM and Henderson gone. We will need someone who can make consistent hard yards. I think it will be a toss up between Ruddock and Stander for many of the games, and that form in Europe will play a big role on who will be picked. I also think that Ruddock or Stander, combined with Heaslip and Henry is a very balanced backrow unit.

I think it will be

McGrath, Best, Moore
    Ryan, Toner
    Stander, Heaslip, Henry

Murray, Sexton
    Fitz, Henshaw
    Earls, Kearney, Trimble

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

I have a feeling that without guys like Payne and Bowe in the team, there will be a shift in attacking strategy. In the last few years our gameplan has mostly been around kicking for territory and to win possession back. Fitz/earls/mcCloskey just don't compare in this regard. this was somewhat apparent in the WC but with more time to prepare for these guys being out, I think Joe will make some changes and have the guys focus more on keeping possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

McGrath Best Moore
    Toner Ryan
    Ruddock Heaslip SOB

Murray Sexton
    McCloskey Henshaw
    Fitzgerald R Kearney Earls

Cronin, Healy, Furlong, Foley, Murphy, McGrath, Madigan, Timble

Swap Zebo for r kearney, and have rob on the bench instead of trimble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Thats an interesting observation, but I wouldnt be quite so downbeat. There are plenty of examples in the history of the 5/6 Nations of teams going on to win the Grand Slam and the Tripic Crown even after loosing the first game, even against a home nation one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Lol...

Thats an interesting observation, but I wouldnt be quite so downbeat. There are plenty of examples in the history of the 5/6 Nations of teams going on to win the Grand Slam and the Tripic Crown even after loosing the first game, even against a home nation one.

That was almost too subtle...

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

I think we now may as well use this Six Nations to build so here is a fun thought depending on fitness.

1. McGrath 2. Strauss 3. Moore
    4. Toner 5. Muldowney
    6. CJ Stander 7. SOB 8.Heaslip
    9. Murray 10. Sexton
    11. Luke Fitz
    12. McCloskey
    13. Henshaw
    14. T. O'Halloran
    15. R. Kearney
    16. Cronin/Best
    17. C. Healy
    18. N White
    19. D. Ryan
    20. J Van Der Flier
    21. K. Marmion
    22. Madigan
    23. K. Earls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    I think we now may as well use this Six Nations to build so here is a fun thought depending on fitness.

4. Toner 5. Muldowney
    6. CJ Stander 7. SOB
    9. Murray 10. Sexton
    11. Luke Fitz
    12. McCloskey
    13. Henshaw
    14. T. O'Halloran
    15. R. Kearney
    16. Cronin/Best
    17. C. Healy
    18. N White
    19. D. Ryan
    20. J Van Der Flier
    21. K. Marmion
    22. Madigan
    23. K. Earls

Muldowney is 32...is there much point?

Muldowney is 32...is there much point?

Same goes for white, and can we play a no. 8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

I only picked White because I couldn't think of another option and I wasn't aware of Muldowney's age just his good form.

Put Heaslip in there tbh I would rather like to try Stander at 8 but and maybe Conan or Ruddock at 6.

McCloskey certainly put his had up tonight, and I would think that Luke Marshall has put himself back in the mix as well.

vienne86 wrote: »
    McCloskey certainly put his had up tonight, and I would think that Luke Marshall has put himself back in the mix as well.

The issue for McCloskey is that he hasn't really been involved at all yet with Ireland. Joe has a history of breaking players in slowly, he did it with Henshaw and Henderson, I reckon there is a chance that McCloskey may be waiting until SA before he gets a shot.

Then again I don't think there is a centre in Ireland playing as well as him this season

I only picked White because I couldn't think of another option and I wasn't aware of Muldowney's age just his good form.

Put Heaslip in there tbh I would rather like to try Stander at 8 but and maybe Conan or Ruddock at 6.

Furlong/Moore will likely be the TH future for at least Ireland and hopefully Leinster too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

bilston wrote:
    The issue for McCloskey is that he hasn't really been involved at all yet with Ireland. Joe has a history of breaking players in slowly, he did it with Henshaw and Henderson, I reckon there is a chance that McCloskey may be waiting until SA before he gets a shot.

Who will partner henshaw if Payne is out?
    I just don't see the reason of keeping McCloskey out when he's playing so well, Marshall is putting his hand up now too after tonight.

4. Toner 5. Muldowney
    6. CJ Stander 7. SOB 8.Heaslip
    9. Murray 10. Sexton
    11. Luke Fitz
    12. McCloskey
    13. Henshaw
    14. T. O'Halloran
    15. R. Kearney
    16. Cronin/Best
    17. C. Healy
    18. N White
    19. D. Ryan
    20. J Van Der Flier
    21. K. Marmion
    22. Madigan
    23. K. Earls

If you're looking to build, then I would go so far as phasing Sexton out. He won't be at the next world cup (and if he is, then I hold little hope for Ireland), and he won't return to his peak.

You don't want a repeat of BOD where he continued playing too close to the next RWC and a sufficient replacement wasn't developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Basil3 wrote: »
    If you're looking to build, then I would go so far as phasing Sexton out. He won't be at the next world cup (and if he is, then I hold little hope for Ireland), and he won't return to his peak.

You don't want a repeat of BOD where he continued playing too close to the next RWC and a sufficient replacement wasn't developed.

I suspect most of us hope you are wrong about Sexton not getting back to his best. I also have a nagging doubt that he has looked less than 100% 'right' for a while. He looks like he really needs a proper break. Time for Madigan to get a run with Marsh or Byrne and give Sexton the league games off.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

1. McGrath
    2. Best
    3. Furlong
    4. Toner
    5. Ryan
    6. Ruddock
    7. SOB
    8. Heaslip
    9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Fitzgerald
    12. McCloskey
    13. Ringrose
    14. Zebo
    15. Henshaw

16. Healy 17. Sherry 18. Moore 19. McCarthy 20. Stander 21. Marmion 22. Madigan 23. Gilroy

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Harry FM

Amazing how 12 months ago we had so few options in the centres. And now we have at least 6 players in good form for the provinces and in contention for a spot in the XV for the 6 nations.

Henshaw, McCloskey, Fitzgerald, Ringrose, L.Marshall, Payne (if fit), Earls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Harry FM

Here's my team

1-McGrath
    2-Best
    3-Furlong
    4-Ryan
    5-Toner
    6-Stander
    7-O'Brien
    8-Heaslip