Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor's Cert

Options
  • 11-11-2015 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Missed Monday and Tuesday to Illness this week and the only doctors appointment I could get is for today.

I have recovered fairly well and I'm not that sick anymore, will the doctor understand and give me a sick cert for the last two days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Conchy wrote: »
    Missed Monday and Tuesday to Illness this week and the only doctors appointment I could get is for today.

I have recovered fairly well and I'm not that sick anymore, will the doctor understand and give me a sick cert for the last two days?

All depends on the doctor, how well you know him and how easy going he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Conchy

lukesmom wrote: »
    All depends on the doctor, how well you know him and how easy going he is.

Never went to him before :o If I wanted to see my regular doctor I would of had to wait till Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Could be a hard sell depending on the GP, I'd imagine being a new patient won't help much..

I presume your missing today too, will work expect a cert ??

Have you spoken to work and kept them informed, might head off a problem if you don't get the cert..

Best of luck

_Brian wrote: »
    Could be a hard sell depending on the GP, I'd imagine being a new patient won't help much..

I presume your missing today too, will work expect a cert ??

Have you spoken to work and kept them informed, might head off a problem if you don't get the cert..

Best of luck

No I am in work today. Yeah they are expecting one, I told them I would get it at my appointment today so hopefully it works out.

Just an update to say I got it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Weird , Dont understand how a doctor can backdate a sick cert.

Surely they can only certify what they see on the day and cant vouch for what condition the patient was in prior to that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Shelflife wrote: »

Surely they can only certify what they see on the day and cant vouch for what condition the patient was in prior to that.
    I've known someone who got a 4 weeks cert for a broken leg with a cast from a doctor; it just happened to be the same 4 weeks he had requested (and been rejected) holidays for (and he refused to show up to a second doctor's exam with a taxi to pick him up or doctor coming to his house). I've also had doctors go "So I'll sign you off for a week" and me going "Why? I'm feeling ok to go back now" and the doctor look at me like I've grown horns or something. Oh and examination consisted of a 5 min interview and a prescription of antibiotics being told to come back next week if it had not worked.

That's exactly the reason why sick certs are also not worth anything to an employer in reality (for the detriment of those really sick).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I've often got a cert from my doctor for being sick and wasn't even in with him. Mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Most employers only require a doctor's note if someone is absent for over 3 days. And of course it is not always easy to get an appointment on the same day, so if a doctor is reasonably convinced you were sick but are now better, why would they not certify the previous sick days?

Requiring a GP note for 2 days absence is a waste on time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How does a doctor see a migraine? Or lower back pain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I agree he cant so there is no way that he can certify that the condition was there on the previous day or week.

Im not saying that there needs to be physical proof for a doctor to give a cert, Im questioning his ability to say the the condition today was present on a previous day or week.

Tbh I know of doctors who are more than willing to hand out certs willy nilly without ever considering the impact on the person receiving the cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I agree he cant so there is no way that he can certify that the condition was there on the previous day or week.

Well surely that depends on the condition ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭cml387

Diziet wrote: »
    Most employers only require a doctor's note if someone is absent for over 3 days.
    Most?

Don't think so.I know we require all days to be certified.

cml387 wrote: »
    Most?

Don't think so.I know we require all days to be certified.

Well all the 7 employers I have had were 3 days and over. There must be some employer stats somewhere. Requiring a cert for a day or two means that people who are sick with a cold bring it into the office and give it to everyone else, rather than pay 50 euro to the GP to get a cert. And I am sure the GPs are not exactly delighted to get their surgeries clogged up with cases that are clinically trivial.

I recall a management course I did many years back which suggested that the best way to cut sickness absence was to take an interest in employee welfare. They advised that a manager should always ask - 'how are you feeling', 'have you recovered alright' as soon as an employee comes back. But obviously different employers have different tactics.

Most employers only require a doctor's note if someone is absent for over 3 days. And of course it is not always easy to get an appointment on the same day, so if a doctor is reasonably convinced you were sick but are now better, why would they not certify the previous sick days?

Requiring a GP note for 2 days absence is a waste on time and money.

Nope,
    Often where employees have a problem with casual absence and are on a PIP, they can be requested to make ALL sick days certified. Its amazing how that reduces casual absence. !!

Sure - but I think it is the employer who has the problem. Good employers do not have absenteeism problems.

Sure - but I think it is the employer who has the problem. Good employers do not have absenteeism problems.

Each to their opinion but in the real world statistically you get all sorts of employees, those that never take a day and those who abuse the good will of the company.. Same goes for employers - you get the good and the bad.

Advertisement