Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding in park & ride carpark

Options
  • 11-11-2015 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

The entire bottom end of the car park in greystones including the path up to the station by the playground has been under water for the last 3 mornings. Anyone any idea if Wicklow Coco usually do anything about this (draining etc) or do they usually just let it drain naturally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Drains are probably clogged with leaves.

I did see a truck on the Mill road yesterday which appeared to be doing work on the drains, so they may not have made it that far yet. I would have thought that should be a priority though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Two articles found on it - your man in Greystones Guide (like him or leave) had some mildly humorous comments about it initially and then got a response from WCC on his humour!

Article 1: Greystones Aqua Fun Park
    Article 2: Response by Greystones Guide to WCC comments (includes infamous "Derek in a puddle" photo-op).

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

astrofluff wrote: »
    Two articles found on it - your man in Greystones Guide (like him or leave) had some mildly humorous comments about it initially and then got a response from WCC on his humour!

Article 2: Response by Greystones Guide to WCC comments (includes infamous "Derek in a puddle" photo-op).

Jaysus. Those Councillors should really lighten up. It was clearly just a bit of humour, and the Greystones Guide is doing a good job for Greystones business on the whole. Lay off him, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Jaysus. Those Councillors should really lighten up. It was clearly just a bit of humour, and the Greystones Guide is doing a good job for Greystones business on the whole. Lay off him, really.

I find the greystones guide humour completely batty and I totally get why wcc employees would feel it was insulting.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The article was not insulting at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Does anyone else think digging up the beach with two diggers is a bit melodramatic?
    One end of a drainage pipe is in the car park. The other end is at a very slightly lower level, and buried under a sandy beach. Obviously, the lower end is going to fill up with sand and gravel, but water can still percolate through this. That is, if the rain isn't too heavy, and the tide is out. Under those circumstances this "system" can work.

But there will also be times when it can't cope, and that's when an electric pump should kick in, spaying the water up onto the beach, as soon as a sensor in the car park detects rising water levels.

Come on county council, this isn't rocket science. And its literally on your doorstep. No wonder the councillors are mortified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

astrofluff wrote: »

I love the bit where according to our engineer " it's disrespectful to council staff who are often out in conditions and times when most citizens are warm and dry in their homes" the staff in those diggers/excavators look pretty warm and dry to me...probably with Classic Hits or somesuch playing gently in the background..the poor dears..

Advertisement