Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DRIVEWAY ENTRANCE GATES

Options
  • 11-11-2015 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

So ive finally got around to pricing up new entrance gates and to automate them.The opening is 4.7 metres wide and 1.4 metres high .My first quote i got for hardwood gates is €3200 + vat.thats just supply and fit gates no automation.If i want them in iroko which i do its another 20% to add.that works out at €4358 for wooden gates only.have to say im surprised they are that dear.can i ask more experienced people here are metal gates dearer than solid hardwood with the same dimensions?.i know there are lots of different styles etc which can affect the price but just as a general guide which is dearer?i have a wooden fence and wooden post so its hard to go with anything other than wood as it might look out of place with metal.i was hoping to get away with automating and gates for around 3000-3500 all in.Am i way off the mark here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

bazbrady wrote: »
    So ive finally got around to pricing up new entrance gates and to automate them.The opening is 4.7 metres wide and 1.4 metres high .My first quote i got for hardwood gates is €3200 + vat.thats just supply and fit gates no automation.If i want them in iroko which i do its another 20% to add.that works out at €4358 for wooden gates only.have to say im surprised they are that dear.can i ask more experienced people here are metal gates dearer than solid hardwood with the same dimensions?.i know there are lots of different styles etc which can affect the price but just as a general guide which is dearer?i have a wooden fence and wooden post so its hard to go with anything other than wood as it might look out of place with metal.i was hoping to get away with automating and gates for around 3000-3500 all in.Am i way off the mark here?

The above sounds a little pricy alright..... I can only add to that by saying - PM sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

You are paying for the wood, machining, wages, overheads, supply, profit and vat. That's why most of us on here are DIY'rs !
    If you could roughly work out the amount of wood needed you might be able to source it yourself at a better price as a joiner will probably have a markup on the wood. Phone around for a price per cubic foot in Iroko allowing for delivery.
    Wood is going to be way nicer than any metal gate.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

Cheers yeah ive got about four prices in and the difference is huge for the same types of wood.i cant understand the huge variation in price considering they are similar designs and type of wood?confused as to what to do.you would imagine the dearer prices means better quality but iroko is iroko and scandinavian redwood same,so if companies are quoting the same materials whats the difference? could it possible be a professional joiner as apposed to an automated machine shop which would cut down on labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

bazbrady wrote: »
    Cheers yeah ive got about four prices in and the difference is huge for the same types of wood.i cant understand the huge variation in price considering they are similar designs and type of wood?confused as to what to do.you would imagine the dearer prices means better quality but iroko is iroko and scandinavian redwood same,so if companies are quoting the same materials whats the difference? could it possible be a professional joiner as apposed to an automated machine shop which would cut down on labour?

Its a small enough market and a vat rate of 23% doesn't help.
    A small one man joinery workshop is likely to be your best bet as he will have lower overheads and profit expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Your lrob looking at about 1200 or 1300 to automate them.

Tip.

If the gates are solid for example the wind will catch them don't by **** automation equipment they will break.

As for the gates. Do you want them a colour ie painted or do you want they natural wood. If natural I'd go with iroko.

A much cheaper option would be pressure treated Irish timber. Might not look as sexy but they can look very well if done correctly.
    I made two sets of gates for my house and brought them off and got them tanalyized. They turned out great and are still working well. That was 7 years ago.
    Also take into account in a joinery shop the machines can cost thousands upon thousands of euro. Which doesn't help the price.

There's no point in buying h the timber yourself. Bring it to a joinery might ruffle a few feathers.

And oh yes please don't forget the global situation at the minute which is driving the dollar mad. It's getting harder to buy and more materials around the world which will drive up the cost.
    Hope that info helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

yeah im now thinking of putting them on a slider as its a large opening 4.7 metres and a solid wood gate would catch the wind alot if using underground or overground rams.With the prices im getting of 3000-4000k for iroko and 2000-3000 for redwood im thinking of just making up a steel angle iron square section and inserting wood inside it like you see most slider gates ,would it be possible to just buy iroko lengths and thickness to suit the angle iron frame somewhere in leinster and install myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Ye that would be possible alright. I've done in a good few times for guys that wanted to keep the cost down.

Advertisement