Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Grant - Iveagh Gardens, Saturday July 9th, 2016

Options
  • 11-11-2015 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Was at the gig on Sunday and was probably my favourite show this year.

Saturday night on a nice evening in July would be tremendous

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Was at the gig on Sunday and was probably my favourite show this year.

Saturday night on a nice evening in July would be tremendous

I don't see anything confirmed anywhere? I saw him headline in the Big Top in Galway for my birthday this summer- Sinead O'Connor pulled out and he was bumped up the bill. Thank God, because I really only got tickets for him. Incredible live show, was really bummed I couldn't catch him in Vicar St.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

I don't see anything confirmed anywhere? I saw him headline in the Big Top in Galway for my birthday this summer- Sinead O'Connor pulled out and he was bumped up the bill. Thank God, because I really only got tickets for him. Incredible live show, was really bummed I couldn't catch him in Vicar St.

From Leagues Twitter machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Wilco also announced. Playing Sunday July 10th. Tickets on sale next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Wilco also announced. Playing Sunday July 10th. Tickets on sale next Friday.

Not that arsed about Grant but Wilco! Oh yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

I missed Vicar street gigs - Any reports ? read reviews and all really good.
    Delighted to see him do so well - Went to see him in Whelan's and Button factory years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭beecee

whatever76 wrote: »
    I missed Vicar street gigs - Any reports ? read reviews and all really good.
    Delighted to see him do so well - Went to see him in Whelan's and Button factory years ago

Yeah it was very good. He got a great reaction and had the audience eating out of his hand. Could hear a pin drop during the encores.
    Perfect venue for him though. I'm not sure the Iveagh gardens will work as well, although I'm sure he'll still be brilliant!

thanks beecee ... sorry I missed it. I looked at some clips on Youtube from hammersmith in London and looked great , he is loving the band and backing singers ! Might go to Cork in Jan & see him opera house be perfect venue as well - think I prefer to see him indoors as well plus I have a conflict - stone roses on same night !

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭beecee

whatever76 wrote: »
    thanks beecee ... sorry I missed it. I looked at some clips on Youtube from hammersmith in London and looked great , he is loving the band and backing singers ! Might go to Cork in Jan & see him opera house be perfect venue as well - think I prefer to see him indoors as well plus I have a conflict - stone roses on same night !

Yeah he really was in good form! I thought the becking singers could have been brought up in the mix a bit. You could barely hear them a lot of the time. After the first couple of songs the sound improved in general though.

I won't bother to give you my feedback on what I think of Stone Roses live! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

beecee wrote: »

I won't bother to give you my feedback on what I think of Stone Roses live! ;)
    Eighty quid to see Ian Brown sing out of tune to a load of the forty something 'still got it brigade' or 45 euro to see the fantastic Mr Grant???

I know where i'll be. ;)

hope his voice comes back for next week - saw him in Glasto on Sat and poor guy had flu so voice was shaky , Fair play to him for keeping going and doing a great set as you knew he was sick. Towards the end he couldnt hit high notes for queen of denmark and disappointing and - the crowd got him through it singing them for him which was great ! Budgee the drummer is just class !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭8mv

Great show from John Grant and the band - despite a couple of hardware failures. Budgie was great! The mighty Conor O'Brien came on to sing half of Glacier and it worked really well. Queen of Denmark was another highlight. Been a fan for some years but this was the first time seeing him live - won't be the last. Lovely man.
    Discovery of the night was main support Ane Brun and her fabulous band. She was fantastic and her band seemed to be veterans of live performance - everything flowed from them so easily and they were having a ball. They didn't behave like a support act - they gave it socks and left the stage to huge acclaim - I've already dropped one of her albums into my Amazon basket.
    Last thing - what with so many shows in Dublin last night, I expected it to be a tad uncomfortable. Not at all. There was a fantastic vibe around last night as crowds from different events mingled and shared their stories. Maybe it was just me - I was in a very good mood after John Grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

8mv wrote: »
    Great show from John Grant and the band - despite a couple of hardware failures. Budgie was great! The mighty Conor O'Brien came on to sing half of Glacier and it worked really well. Queen of Denmark was another highlight. Been a fan for some years but this was the first time seeing him live - won't be the last. Lovely man.
    Discovery of the night was main support Ane Brun and her fabulous band. She was fantastic and her band seemed to be veterans of live performance - everything flowed from them so easily and they were having a ball. They didn't behave like a support act - they gave it socks and left the stage to huge acclaim - I've already dropped one of her albums into my Amazon basket.
    Last thing - what with so many shows in Dublin last night, I expected it to be a tad uncomfortable. Not at all. There was a fantastic vibe around last night as crowds from different events mingled and shared their stories. Maybe it was just me - I was in a very good mood after John Grant.

Good to hear. Saw him at the Vicar Street gig in 2013 he was amazing.

A bit strange of the promoters to have three big gigs concurrently on last night. I think they are stratifying audiences wrongly. I was at Beyoncé. Maybe I'm one of only a handful of people but I would have gone to all the three big acts on last night had I had the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Saw him in Cork Opera House in January when I couldn't get tickets for Dublin. He was great in COH as it felt really intimate. I was curious how this would translate into the Iveagh Gardens, but he was magnificent. Conor O'Brien was a nice touch, but John's magnificent voice as the sun set is a fantastic memory to have.

Logistics wise, great gig venue. Not crowded, relaxed atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

Great gig as always from JG.

Definitely my favourite outdoor venue in Ireland. Stroll from town, never too packed, minimal bar queues. Think it's also down to the acts they get to play there, always attract a nice crowd.

Advertisement