Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1000 Jobs Announced at Apple

Options
  • 11-11-2015 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭

Really good news for Cork.

https://twitter.com/rte/status/664389674186706944

Computer giant Apple has said it intends to expand its campus in Cork and provide space for 1,000 further staff by the middle of 2017.

An expansion on this scale would see the number of people directly employed by the company in Ireland increase to 6,000.

Apple currently employs 5,000 people at the Hollyhill facility in the city, a 25% increase in a year.

The news came during a visit by the Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook to Dublin this morning.

Apple has been in Cork since 1980 and has steadily grown its presence in Ireland.

Staff are involved in a range of functions including manufacturing, customer care, finance and global supply chain management.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What musical guest is performing U2 or Adele?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What musical guest is performing U2 or Adele?

John Spillane

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Bono, it seems.

• Site Banned Posts: 66 ✭✭bloominballix

Some impressive math in that article.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Rumour has it................Coldplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Hooray! Temporary contracts for all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

it's good for the economy but what would be even better (in monetary terms) is if they were fully tax compliant ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

it's good for the economy but what would be even better (in monetary terms) is if they were fully tax compliant ;)

Apparently, we (Ireland) could be in for a €19 BILLION windfall if/when Apple cleans up it's tax affairs!! Now, that would be sweeeet!

Note what I did there with Apple, windfall and sweeeet - that was deliberate, that was!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Great news

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Apparently, we (Ireland) could be in for a €19 BILLION windfall if/when Apple cleans up it's tax affairs!! Now, that would be sweeeet!

Dream on. Never gonna happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

Brilliant news for Cork.

A load of people I know were talking about it in the last few Days.

Considering the population of Cork is half a Million it's a massive boost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

are they normally just minimum wage jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

f140 wrote: »
    are they normally just minimum wage jobs?

What made you think that? Multinational IT companies would never pay €8.75 an hour for any role. Below gives you an idea of salary ranges.

http://www.payscale.com/research/IE/Employer=Apple_Computer%2c_Inc/Salary

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

ongarboy wrote: »
    What made you think that? Multinational IT companies would never pay €8.75 an hour for any role. Below gives you an idea of salary ranges.

http://www.payscale.com/research/IE/Employer=Apple_Computer%2c_Inc/Salary
    nearly every job now advertised seems to be less than €9. would a graduate just out of college so be on those kind of wages with apple?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

f140 wrote: »
    nearly every job now advertised seems to be less than €9. would a graduate just out of college so be on those kind of wages with apple?

Every job advertised where?

The pay will depend on the job and a person's skills and experience. I imagine the 1000 jobs will be a mix of production operators, customer service, analysts etc...

I'd say the salaries listed on that site would probably be for people with experience rather than graduates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Apple pay about €22k-€24k for customer care, at least they do for the Home support team.

In fairness to Apple, they are an extremely good employer and take good care of their staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I worked in the factory before, when I was a younger man. Good times, I met some great people. The weirdos were the best ones, their lunacy would get you through the 12 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

The high up roles in Apple are full time I assume?,The operators are on 23 month contracts and when it's quiet you are gone, I know of 2 different people this has happened too, one was only there a few weeks and was let go,
    The pay is meant to be good but silly contracts like that are useless,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

bladebrew wrote: »
    The high up roles in Apple are full time I assume?,The operators are on 23 month contracts and when it's quiet you are gone, I know of 2 different people this has happened too, one was only there a few weeks and was let go,

No, they're not. In my early twenties I worked there, and it suited me. You work a few months, work all the overtime you can, then go on the dole for a few weeks.

These aren't jobs for people with mortgages, they're for transients.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

The manufacturing plant isn't the only department in Apple, which is usually where the contracts only last for a few months.

There are thousands of people on permanent contracts in finance, operations, logistics, sales, technical support, hr, software development etc....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 itech

bladebrew wrote: »

No longer 23 month contracts for new entrants, manufacturing have recently introduced 130-150 new positions for existing temporary employees going on time served etc.

These are labeled "long term flex contracts" so they can still get rid of you when it suits them, my guess is they will lay people off on these "LTF Contracts" before 24 months to break entitlements and then take them back on after a few weeks for up to 24 months again and so on.

Any new temporary operators will be employed on 4 month contracts only. 23 month contracts are finished with as they have 130-150 on the long finger. How apple can get away with it is beggars belief really!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

corcaigh1 wrote: »

Think they let a lot of their contract people go last week, more likely that than ISIS.

Advertisement