Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

AL told me that directly on Twitter today..... I had 2400GC points... So did my wife. They're gone... toast....

"your account is at applicant level so your Gold Circle points won't transfer over to Avios unfortunately. You'll receive a welcome bonus of Avios of 250 points" By their calculation of 2 for 1, that's 112.5 GC points.... Big whoop.... They can stuff 'em....

But your GC points will be converted into tier credits. Posted from earlier in the thread.
    If you are an Applicant member, you will be awarded Tier Credits against the volume of Gold Circle points you have already accumulated. This will allow you to continue your progression to attain Silver membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Noxegon

But your GC points will be converted into tier credits. Posted from earlier in the thread.

3350 points, mostly from plus fares I didn't actually need but bought to stay in GC. The whole lot have been wiped.

Aer Lingus is as of now my last resort for travel.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My Applicant points did not convert to tier credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Downsey77

crisco10 wrote: »
    Where did you read applicant level will not be having points transferred? The below was in faq before migration.

As someone who had 1500 points mainly from plus fares, the recalculation could actually benefit me..

At applicant level you will get the equivalent of your points converted into tier points, but what you won't get is your current GC points balance converted into Avios at 2:1.

The grey area comes in that say someone is very close to Silver, and get say 250 tier points credited they'll only need 350 to get to platinum whereas, myself as a qualified Silver have 0 tier points then I need another 600 to get to Platinum.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

seems like Short Haul is no benefit to using Avios points, how are the taxes more on the Avios flights than on the Aerlingus site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

dudara wrote: »
    Looks like they made a mess of my migration.

I just logged in to the new AerClub account, and I'm down as Green Tier with 250 points. I had been previously sent an email saying that I would be Platinum tier, which is more accurate, given that I'm flying twice a week an average and had over 11,000 GC points, a substantial amount of which was earned in the last year.

I am a bit bemused myself. I presently have Elite status but have flown less this year - think I have circa 4,000 points collected this year and 3/4 flights booked for the remainder of the year.

Site appears to be telling me I am the lowest tier of Aer Club but this can't be right.

I am presently Gold with BA so have a decision to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Noxegon wrote: »
    3350 points, mostly from plus fares I didn't actually need but bought to stay in GC. The whole lot have been wiped.

Aer Lingus is as of now my last resort for travel.

Hmmm I don't appear to have anything transfered over. Also don't appear to have been sent an email - just searched Gmail there. No post either.

Currently have "-" tier and "-" tier credits and "250" My Avios Points.

In the context of Aer Lingus flights in and out to the UK all being BA code shares, I am inclined to stick with BA.

Ironically, I opted to cut back flying Aer Lingus in the summer because of much they ****ed me around with the partner redemption and complimentary upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

2450 points gone!??

I'm fuming, we were specifically told they would be converted to Avios.

Aer Lingus will be avoided in future :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Deagol wrote: »
    2450 points gone!??

I'm fuming, we were specifically told they would be converted to Avios.

Aer Lingus will be avoided in future :mad:

They should be converted over next few days.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They should be converted over next few days.

According to EI twitter feed and what I'm reading here, if you are applicant status then you get nothing?
    The only reason I was applicant was that I pretty much stopped flying EI until they sorted this mess out and they refused to let me use the points to renew my GC card. I had a feeling they'd screw it up good and they have, EI have lost me as a customer where I have a choice.
    Fly BA and I get a vast range of lounges etc and I've noticed that booking via BA site actually is cheaper a lot of the time than using EI site.

• Advertisement

FOLKS

If you had status your Gold Circle points will be converted to Avios over the coming days/weeks.

If you were you a GC applicant your points will be converted to Tier Points. That isn't a bad outcome in my book. Booking a few plus fares will get you over the edge.

Can we all calm down now???

I had Gold in GC. Looks like I'm green now but I'm going to give it a few days. When my former GC account is changed over to AC to see where do I stand before I start contacting Aer Lingus (if I even need to).

Personally I think they should have converted a gold card holder to silver card holder etc and have the gold circle expiry as the new silver expiry date. The same rules to apply to those above gold.

In general I do think the change over has been very poorly managed with very little information coming out and delay after delay. The eastern block would have be proud. This situation has led to a lot of confusion and annoyance amongst EIGC members.

As I said earlier if it had launched in early 2016 I would have easily made Silver.

FOLKS

If you had status your Gold Circle points will be converted to Avios over the coming days/weeks.

If you were you a GC applicant your points will be converted to Tier Points. That isn't a bad outcome in my book. Booking a few plus fares will get you over the edge.

That doesn't make much sense, if the points are converted to TP what's the ratio going to be? Since they have already told me I will only be green, then 2450 GC points becomes <300 Tier Points. Yet my 2450 GC points would previously been enough to buy GC gold.

As far as I'm concerned at least, I've been given a bad deal by EI and I'll reciprocate by giving my business elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

It's getting more and more like a Leaving Cert honours maths question trying to figure out how this whole transfer of membership points works out, is there anyone on here who can absolute say they have benefited from this new setup or was it deliberately designed to penalise existing members?
    Smart clearly wasn't involved in managing this whole debacle....

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

If you were you a GC applicant your points will be converted to Tier Points.
    Only points earned in the past 12 months count for tier points.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

When will the converted tier points last until? Not 31/12/16 I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

L1011 wrote: »
    When will the converted tier points last until? Not 31/12/16 I hope.

You earn Tier Credits over a 365 day period based on your anniversary date, which is the date you joined AerClub.
    Tier Credits are reset to zero at the end of your membership year.

This is all taken from the Aer Lingus website

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I still haven't recieved an email from them.

Anyone else not got one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Noxegon

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    You earn Tier Credits over a 365 day period based on your anniversary date, which is the date you joined AerClub. Tier Credits are reset to zero at the end of your membership year.

Gold Circle was the same as regards points to hit that magic 2400 threshold.

I much prefer the Emirates approach where you have a rolling thirteen month window.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

Has anyone received their new card yet? I've not and am due to fly to SF tomorrow.

Can I still use the lounge etc... with my previous GC card? Also is the new post US immigration lounge available to Silver?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

geekington wrote: »
    Has anyone received their new card yet? I've not and am due to fly to SF tomorrow.

Can I still use the lounge etc... with my previous GC card? Also is the new post US immigration lounge available to Silver?

I flew earlier this week and was told we'd have a week or so 'grace' with our old cards, so you should be fine in the normal DUB lounge. I'm not sure about the post immigration lounge, although as it wasn't open to old Gold customers I'd doubt Silver will be able to avail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Noxegon wrote: »
    Gold Circle was the same as regards points to hit that magic 2400 threshold.

I much prefer the Emirates approach where you have a rolling thirteen month window.

Agreed however if you reach the next tier quickly lets say for arguments sake in the first month you will then have 23 months in that tier until you downgrade.

That is a better feature than Emirates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

Was Gold previously. Should have moved to the next tier up on GC a few months ago, but it didn't happen and I didn't chase it. Now I've been moved to Platinum and I have 250 points of some description, but the 7,500 GC points are nowhere to be seen.

Will give it a few days and see what happens. I'm flying to London on Monday afternoon regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Nice to see I'm not the only Platinum around

I seem to have got a lump of avios this afternoon, so looks like it might be working now

Could take a while to process

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I just got all my Avios as well, about 12,000 -so what can we actually spend them on? is it really only Aer Lingus, Iberia, BA and Avis??

Now to get silver status!!

I just got all my Avios as well, about 12,000 -so what can we actually spend them on? is it really only Aer Lingus, Iberia, BA and Avis??

Now to get silver status!!

If it's anything like BA, the Avios are almost impossible to use. Everytime I've tried to upgrade using them either the 'reward seats all taken' or 'your ticket is not the correct booking type'.

I've got 125,000 of the useless things :rolleyes:

I've just checked and have just under 11000 avios now. But no tier credits.

Time to start booking flights to get status I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

If it's anything like BA, the Avios are almost impossible to use. Everytime I've tried to upgrade using them either the 'reward seats all taken' or 'your ticket is not the correct booking type'.

I've never had trouble spending good circle points. Transatlantic business class upgrades at 4000 a pop were usually easy to get even at short notice.

maximum12 wrote: »
    I've never had trouble spending good circle points. Transatlantic business class upgrades at 4000 a pop were usually easy to get even at short notice.

Agreed, Aer Lingus were great at giving upgrades. The only use I've found for the Avios with BA is using them as part payment for flights for groups of people.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

If it's anything like BA, the Avios are almost impossible to use.

Well their upcoming shorthaul economy BoB menu will allow to use Avios to purchase items inflight using the Avios app on your phone.

Doubt thats what you wanted however 😄

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote: »
    Well their upcoming shorthaul economy BoB menu will allow to use Avios to purchase items inflight using the Avios app on your phone.

Doubt thats what you wanted however 😄

Indeed, the expenses would take care of that anyway :D
    And I'm usually on flexible so that should translate to free snacks still?

Advertisement