Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Seems the days of the national 'flag carrier' are over and we now have BA baby 'loyalty scheme' run by a 'David Brent' type from a call centre in Swindon.
    You do realise that Aer Lingus were privatised/stock market floated 10 years ago?
    Hence the IAG purchase 1 year ago which has led to this FFP transistion debacle.

EDIT: as goingowhere rightly points out the GC change was planned pre-IAG. (mentioned here previously)
    My post was worded badly to imply the IAG takeover was the main driver behind the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Tenger wrote: »
    You do realise that Aer Lingus were privatised/stock market floated 10 years ago?
    Hence the IAG purchase 1 year ago which has led to this FFP transistion debacle.

The death of GC was planned before IAG came along, IAG arriving is one of the reasons it was delayed

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pedro deNada

“Business is about people, and your reputation is built on how you treat people.” – BRUCE RAUNER

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Seems that by introducing a new loyalty scheme, EI have managed to infuriate their existing loyal customers and done little for new members. I guess that's what happens when you rush something to market. Oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Silver here but will be changing, can't even bring a guest into the lounge after 20 trips to mainland EU and 2 transatlantic in 12 months. Avios offering is so tight it's hilarious, given how devalued avios are it doesn't make sense to fly EI at that rate. It's not so much that they haven't rewarded my loyalty so far but more so you'd be an absolute age trying to get a worthwhile amount of avios with how they've set up the program. Thank god I've other airline choices, my only regret is not switching earlier when I heard the 2 avios per GC point conversion a few months back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Only started flying an amount worth while for a loyalty program last year, so was a new sign up, not transfered over.

Flown six legs since sign up and not a point or credit added so far. (Yes I had my FF number on the booking).

It will be a few weeks before system is fully working

Be sure to retain your booking confirmation emails for all flights in case you need to request the points later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Ive flown a return to London and a return to Amsterdam since the change and i have not gotten a single point. Its a gas oul system.

Meanwhile Aeroflot just posted out my new Gold tier card and luggage tags from Moscow!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Still no sign of tier credits for my flights in November before the start date...

Credited two Finnair flights I was on as a reroute from the Lufthansa strike to BAEC and I got over 3x the Avios and almost as many tier credits as my 10 UK + 2 Euro sectors on EI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Flew back from BHX on Sunday and even though my profile shows green tier with 30 TP, my boarding pass from the self service machine said SILV...?!

So I thought, great, lounge here I come. Nope, you can only use EI lounges with silver, you have to be platinum for other lounges. How daft a system is that?!

In fairness, you have to be BA silver (600 TP+) for any lounge access so maybe that's a plus to the EI system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Being told that I'm Silver tier for AerClub, despite being comfortably inside the Platinum tier on both the old and new tier points system. Will be taking my business elsewhere at this rate.

Deagol wrote: »
    Flew back from BHX on Sunday and even though my profile shows green tier with 30 TP, my boarding pass from the self service machine said SILV...?!

So I thought, great, lounge here I come. Nope, you can only use EI lounges with silver, you have to be platinum for other lounges. How daft a system is that?!

In fairness, you have to be BA silver (600 TP+) for any lounge access so maybe that's a plus to the EI system?

EI sliver is effectively BAEC bronze, who get no lounge access anywhere so its a good deal

I'm guessing you booked with the GC number before the launch and the system retained your status level (Gold GC became Silver AC) despite being dropped to Green

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

Does anyone know if I can bring a second person through fast track security with AC Silver? Or if they'll still allow me through with my GC gold card before the end of the year?

Extraplus wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I can bring a second person through fast track security with AC Silver? Or if they'll still allow me through with my GC gold card before the end of the year?

Stick with the GC Gold card till end December, also means you get your guest into the lounge

You can always claim the AC card hasn't arrived yet

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

This migration is an unmitigated mess.
    i have made Aerclub Silver, though I'm starting on zero tier points which makes no sense. Also, my closing gold circle statement to end of november did not include 5 United flights i took in the period, and then subtracted 700 points from my closing total as they were "partner airline" flights (Qantas flights from last april i think). Reading the FAQs, i believe these points should all come back to me once someone actually turns on the machine in Aerclub HQ.
    I may be better placed asking this of thepointsguy or million miles.com, but does anyone know how easy it will be to combine existing avios points. I have around 18000, with about 8000 more due over xmas & reclaimed points. I also just received a boss on my star woods hotel account bringing it to around 15000 points. Starwood offers 1:1 points porting to BA Avios.
    Do people think i should be able to open a BA frequent flyer account, dump in my hotel points, then merge those now BA avios with my aerclub avios account and have 40,000 avoid to do some meaningful booking with? 
    Based in the US and have 3 weddings and a stag in ireland this year so need everything i can get

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Do people think i should be able to open a BA frequent flyer account, dump in my hotel points, then merge those now BA avios with my aerclub avios account and have 40,000 avoid to do some meaningful booking with? 
    Based in the US and have 3 weddings and a stag in ireland this year so need everything i can get
    Based on the experiences so far of the posters on this thread it seems that going the Avios route with BA, and earning points on EI metal via the BA codeshare (or whatever other earning options are open to you) seems the best way to ensure you get all flights recorded and credited correctly.
    Some more knowledgeable poster's may be able to correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Tenger wrote: »
    Based on the experiences so far of the posters on this thread it seems that going the Avios route with BA, and earning points on EI metal via the BA codeshare (or whatever other earning options are open to you) seems the best way to ensure you get all flights recorded and credited correctly.
    Some more knowledgeable poster's may be able to correct me.

For me, you are 100% correct. I'm only booking EI if the BA site refuses to allow me to book with them. (ie, you cannot book SNN to Boston direct on BA, it will force you to fly via LHR for that).

Luckily, my corporate travel system gives me options that the main BA site doesn't give so I can book stuff with BA that isn't allowed on the general booking site :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

A) Do they not send statements anymore?

B) Having just set up my new username and password, I can't log in. Is that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    B) Having just set up my new username and password, I can't log in. Is that normal?

Something to do with the Aer Lingus loyalty scheme isn't working as it should? Yes, that's quite normal.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Noxegon wrote: »
    Something to do with the Aer Lingus loyalty scheme isn't working as it should? Yes, that's quite normal.

Or perhaps it is working exactly as 'it should'.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I only joined this a month ago. They said they would give me 250 welcome points and that I could claim back points from trips made in the last 3 months, but none of these have been added to my account. Does anyone know what's wrong here? The whole website and information about it on their website is so confusing and all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Anyone know how many Avios points you earn with EI if you spend €88, BA are giving me 250 for €92. EI don't show at time of booking.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Anyone know how many Avios points you earn with EI if you spend €88, BA are giving me 250 for €92. EI don't show at time of booking.

You should get 176 Avios I believe,

You should get 176 Avios I believe,

I think the points are on the fare only, so taxes charges are stripped out so you may only get about 40/50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I think the points are on the fare only, so taxes charges are stripped out so you may only get about 40/50
    I frequently have to change flights. Do those additional fare charges and admin fees also bring points?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Van.Bosch wrote: »

I saw that online as well. In that case 67.99 of the fare is taxes, then the 14 admin fare and fare of 7.99 would give them 16 points :mad:

TBH BA to LHR (EI were LGW) and avoid any possible Southern Disruption + 250 points is a win win situation.

I saw that online as well. In that case 67.99 of the fare is taxes, then the 14 admin fare and fare of 7.99 would give them 16 points :mad:

TBH BA to LHR (EI were LGW) and avoid any possible Southern Disruption + 250 points is a win win situation.

Yup it really seems to be a really punititive system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

the 14 admin fare
    The admin fare goes to Aer Lingus. Why would that not count?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Related to the above, I have wondered for years what the difference is between a "fee" and a "charge".

Lets be brutally honest here – passengers don't give two rats what the supplements are. The bottom line figure is all that matters.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Lads I all ready had the EI app for booking flights the last time I logged on it(about a week ago) directed me to joining Aer club.
    My question is if I'm booking flights for myself &herself just using my Aer club membership do I get the rewards for just one flight or for two.

Advertisement