Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I was told I could use the lounge without my card once the app on my phone showed me as Silver (the girl in the lounge told me this as I had qualified for Silver bot my card took 2 weeks to arrive.

And once again no consistency. I was told one thing and you were told another....

It does say somewhere on the site no access without a card, but if you don't send my card how can I access it?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tangey99

I have over 23,000 in avios points - seems like it'll cost me more to use these than than book a flight separately.

Does anyone know if theres any plans for other ways to spend points, e.g. vouchers?
    If you can't see value on a flight redemption, you can use avios on ba.com and Avios.com to book a hotel night. If not enough points, you can do cash + points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

mx5ire wrote:
    That is good information to know. So either you are losing the Tier credits a full year before your membership expires, as per the operational IT system, or you are not, as per the staff in Aerclub.

You are losing them, it's crystal clear.
    Nevermind the hearsay on here. Your tier credits qualifying period is 12 months before card expiry.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    You are losing them, it's crystal clear.

Where is it crystal clear? Can you link to the relevant section of the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

So this is from the Tiers and Benefits page on the EI website. 

Read the last 2 sentences - i think that is very clear - tier credits reset at the end of your membership year - so in my case thats April 18, NOT Apr 17. 

[font=CartoGothic-Light, CartoGothic-Light-e, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]What you need to know about Tier Credits:[/font]
      [font=CartoGothic-Regular, CartoGothic-Regular-e, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]You earn Tier Credits on Aer Lingus flights only.The number of Tier Credits you earn depends on your fare type and fare class - in general, you'll earn more Tier Credits in premium cabins and on flexible fares.Tier Credits cannot be bought, shared or spent - their sole purpose is to advance you through the tiers of AerClub.You earn Tier Credits over a 365 day period based on your anniversary date, which is the date you joined AerClub.Tier Credits are reset to zero at the end of your membership year.[/font]

• Advertisement

mx5ire wrote: »

Read the last 2 sentences - i think that is very clear - tier credits reset at the end of your membership year - so in my case thats April 18, NOT Apr 17

Your membership year is 365 days!!!

Your membership year runs from 01 May - 31 April.

Aer Lingus gave you an extra 5 months of tier benefits due to the expiry of you previous Gold Circle Tier. Because of this you effectively came to the end of your membership year on April 31 therefore thats why your credits reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Aer Lingus gave you an extra 5 months of tier benefits due to the expiry of you previous Gold Circle Tier. Because of this you effectively came to the end of your membership year on April 31 therefore thats why your credits reset.

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

mx5ire wrote: »

Read the last 2 sentences - i think that is very clear - tier credits reset at the end of your membership year - so in my case thats April 18, NOT Apr 17

Seriously - how do you work that out ?

Aerclub started on 21 Nov. At that point they took away from myself and many others (my still valid) Elite benefits of 4 x1 way TA upgrades, and 1 free companion flight. and downgraded me to Platinum with less benefits. Their new currency is Avios and Tier Points, for a 365 day period, yet they take away the Tier Points after 5 months and 9 days. If they gave me an extra 5 months of benefits then i would have kept the upgrades and companion flight for 5 months surely ?

Are you telling me that the 365 days membership didn't start on 21 Nov 16 ? 

And yes - my Tier Points disappeared on the 1st May (i assume that as i didn't check until 2nd May), yet my membership is valid and active until April 18.

The reality here is that what their staff on the phone and their website states are clearly different to the active IT system and what you seem to say.

From my experience, i.e. having a choice between the flights, the difference is negligible, i.e. a few euro for the times that I tend to fly. BA is regularly cheaper to be honest.

I assume that this implies that you too see value in actually getting the rewards that you are entitled to?

The real plus point on this front is that you actually get them with BA. Not a single occurrence of them not posting.

Infuriating having to contact the airline on every 3rd or 4th trip to request missing points.

BA use a different DCS (check in) system than Aer Lingus.

The Aer Lingus system is a relic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Met three lads from Kentz(or SNC as they are now called) in Moscow SVO two weeks back and they were giving out about EI, they had both done 6 flights with EI this year and had not gotten a single point and when they emailed EI they got no reply.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 38 Pedro deNada

Hi, I'm trying to fill in 'missing flight' as per Aerlingus e mail where they failed to allocate tier points to return leg of trip from Glasgow (got 15 instead of 30 tier points).

There is no ticket number on the confirmation notice only booking reference.

At the drop down 'aerlingus ticket, no ticket number' its asking for a PNR number (but no help on what that is),
      Anyone know what a PNR number is ?
      Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

Hi, I'm trying to fill in 'missing flight' as per Aerlingus e mail where they failed to allocate tier points to return leg of trip from Glasgow (got 15 instead of 30 tier points).

There is no ticket number on the confirmation notice only booking reference.

At the drop down 'aerlingus ticket, no ticket number' its asking for a PNR number (but no help on what that is),
      Anyone know what a PNR number is ?
      Thanks

You'll find it at the bottom of your email under your receipt and ticket numbers.

Do you know your Fare Class? It's the first letter of 'status' on the email, you may have been in a class that only earned half tier points.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pedro deNada

Thanks, its a stobart air/aerlingus regional but there is no ticket or PNR number.
      So 'Z class' return leg gets no tier points?

This 'aerclub' is so arbitrary and capricious and non-transparent, its unreal.

Bw
      P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The booking reference is your PNR.

Should begin with a 2.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Received a new Silver card & luggage tags this morning, despite only getting my first set about 4 weeks ago!

only difference is the expiry date has pushed from Feb 18 to Nov 18

You'll find it at the bottom of your email under your receipt and ticket numbers.

Do you know your Fare Class? It's the first letter of 'status' on the email, you may have been in a class that only earned half tier points.

Ticket number would be on the boarding card, starts with 053

Z class EU is 7.5 tier credits

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Conor Pope has highlighted how poor AerClub is in the Irish Times today. Worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭crisco10

faceman wrote: »
      Conor Pope has highlighted how poor AerClub is in the Irish Times today. Worth a read.

Pay-walled. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Private Browsing/Incognito Mode works a treat for that site. You get ten pages each time.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

Noxegon wrote: »
      Private Browsing/Incognito Mode works a treat for that site. You get ten pages each time.

This article is subscriber-only it seems

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

There has never been a ticket number issued on Stobart Air operated booking confirmations.

http://imgur.com/a/1IpbE

Nothing on the ticket either AFAIR, so you'd have to use the 6 digits alphanumeric PNR. That always caused an issued with the old GC missing flights form, so you'd have to email those segments in manually. Heady days.

A couple of lounge notes - (Silver), Aspire in BRS is OK, and MAD allowed a guest, even as a Silver.

If it's not against the rules I'll post that IT article, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Quick amendment to the foregoing. I had a look and the the 053 ticket number IS printed on a check in desk boarding pass. MAY not be on a Self Service BP :) and definitely not on the confirmation.

As an atonement I've copied the AerClub section (not the full article) from the piece in the IT....
      AerClub from Aer Lingus: “We aim to offer a world class service and to meet the needs of the modern international traveller. With this in mind, we’ve developed AerClub as a loyalty programme for everyone. Join today and start collecting straight away towards reward flights and tier benefits. It’s our way of saying thanks for choosing to fly with us.” So says the promotional blurb on the fairly new AerClub section of the Aer Lingus website.

Now that makes the system sound great, but many of the 100,000 people who belonged to the Aer Lingus Gold Circle frequent-flyer programme which AerClub has replaced are not happy.

The Gold Circle Club was an air miles-based programme which saw points assigned based on the duration of your flight. The new system assigns points based on how much cash you spend on your flights. This works to airlines’ advantage because they get to reward high-spending passengers as opposed to those who fly the longest distances but don’t necessarily spend the most on their tickets.

AerClub has four tiers of membership: Gold, Silver, Platinum and Concierge, and the tier you get access to depends on how much you have spent in the last year – you get three Avios points for every €1 spent on flights.

When we asked about loyalty schemes online last week many people lined up to give out about the new scheme.
      “Where possible I have always flown Aer Lingus for business and leisure trips since the early 1990s,” wrote Caroline Martha McGee
      She assiduously collected points, and when the Gold Club scheme ended she was sent a closing balance of 4,250 points. “However, when my AerClub account information was sent to me early in 2017 it showed the same ‘Welcome’ balance of 250 points as other members of my family (who do minimal travel with AL). It did not show any credit for the number of points accrued during 2016.”

When she contacted the company she was told that because she was at “applicant” status when the scheme closed she was not eligible to have the Gold Card points transferred to AerClub. “I have been stonewalled in my attempts to resolve the issue with Aer Lingus staff. I have tried to contact the AerClub migration team but they do not speak to customers on the phone apparently!”

Colin O’Regan said Aer Lingus had used the switch “to sneakily change their terms and conditions, removing the facility to redeem your points to retain your membership if you didn’t reach the minimum points to retain your status in the previous 12 months”.
      It is “the least value ever for ordinary frequent flyer and gives the business flyer what they already paid for”, said Pauline Evers.

“The new AerClub loyalty scheme is pretty awful,” was the view of Elisa Duncan Cullen. “

The migration from Gold Circle to AerClub resulted in 75 per cent reduction in value of points... so much for loyalty,” said David Balbirnie.
      We contacted the airline who sent us a statement extolling the virtues of the new scheme. It concluded by saying that an “historic lack of investment in Gold Circle meant there were some technical issues in migrating some members to the new AerClub platform”.

The spokeswoman acknowledged this “has caused some dissatisfaction amongst our membership base. This must however be taken in the context of a programme with 500,000 members”. She said the airline was “pleased to report we have resolved the vast majority of these issues and our team continues to work hard to resolve any further problems members may be experiencing. Our research indicates that AerClub members are satisfied with the programme”

The statement concluded by saying that “any major change-programme has challenges, but we are pleased to have delivered a bespoke programme which is centred on providing Irish consumers with a truly Irish reward programme and our team continues to make the necessary improvements to address any outstanding member issues.”

Colin O’Regan said Aer Lingus had used the switch “to sneakily change their terms and conditions, removing the facility to redeem your points to retain your membership if you didn’t reach the minimum points to retain your status in the previous 12 months”.
      It is “the least value ever for ordinary frequent flyer and gives the business flyer what they already paid for”, said Pauline Evers.

Being able to buy membership because you didn't fly enough to maintain status within the year doesn't seem to align with a "Frequent Flyer Program".

The Gold Circle proposition made some sense since not all fare classes were eligible for award.

This has in theory been rectified now in AerClub as nearly every flight you buy will be awarded tier credits.

Quick amendment to the foregoing. I had a look and the the 053 ticket number IS printed on a check in desk boarding pass. MAY not be on a Self Service BP :) and definitely not on the confirmation.

So your ticket number will appear where Electronic is shown on the boarding card.
      Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 8.49.54 AM.png

If you need the PNR, get a app for your phone that can scan PDF419 and scan the barcode, you will see your name, space, then E2XXXXX, where 2XXXXX is the PNR

For mobile boarding pass, on iPhone at least, select the boarding card in the wallet, tap the i icon in the bottom right and the ticket number and PNR will be shown

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Not an endorsement, but these folks seem to keep track of the major outbursts: https://twitter.com/aerclubsucks?lang=en

Aer Lingus's comm's strategy though is a shambles. They cover Irish business hours and working days on Twitter, when they could easily assign an agent in the US and have coverage right up to 10pm in Ireland even on holidays. Simple joined up thinking like this can make a lot of difference. As much flak as United get, there Twitter agent is a full bot and its very, very helpful. Every answer from Aer Lingus is a stock reply or 'fill out a complaint' form.

I've decided to rack up enough to get Silver this year and leave it at that, purely for the lounge access in Dublin. Its not worth loyalty to Aer Lingus, my *G is far more valuable worldwide.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Being able to buy membership because you didn't fly enough to maintain status within the year doesn't seem to align with a "Frequent Flyer Program".

The Gold Circle proposition made some sense since not all fare classes were eligible for award.

This has in theory been rectified now in AerClub as nearly every flight you buy will be awarded tier credits.

Unfortunately the loyalty is based on money you spend and ignores frequency of travel and distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

faceman wrote: »
      Unfortunately the loyalty is based on money you spend and ignores frequency of travel and distance.

Tiering is not calculated on spend. Only Avios is awarded on spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tiering is based solely on how often as well - no benefit for people generating vast amounts of Avios from alternate sources; whereas other schemes give tiering based on both usually.

I thought tiering was based on spend too. Your ticket type can net more tier points.

• Advertisement

To a degree it is, if you pay for Plus or Flex fares you earn significantly more

What is strange is you can pay 100 euro single to Berlin or 250 euro you get 15 tier points either way

Advertisement