Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

thebiglad wrote: »
    Its automatic once you clear the required Tier Points.

Card apparently 2 weeks to arrive

Yeah I qualified for Platinum 2 months ago on June 24th, App & website updated showing me as Platinum, yet 2 months later I'm still waiting for the 2nd card they posted out to me (the 1st one they 'sent' didn't arrive).

The 2 Silver cards I was sent both arrived 2 weeks after I received the email from them.

A colleague received his first AerClub cards this week, a Silver followed by a Platinum 2 days later, despite his gap of 3 months from when he made silver to when he made platinum.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

So 2 queries for folks here.....

I cannot login to my Avios account as it wants me to change my password - now i asked this a little while ago here and Andy said that he had issues too - but when i rang Avios directly the girl told me that if i change it on Avios.com it will auto update the EI website too to maintain the link. Frankly i don't believe her, or more to the point, trust the EI website. Any more experiences of this ??

The second question - the cost of Avios for a flight to Dubrovnik - she told me 20,000 round trip - but i only paid 15,000 this year for Venice - they are both Zone 2. Again, any ideas ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Yeah I qualified for Platinum 2 months ago on June 24th, App & website updated showing me as Platinum, yet 2 months later I'm still waiting for the 2nd card they posted out to me (the 1st one they 'sent' didn't arrive).

The 2 Silver cards I was sent both arrived 2 weeks after I received the email from them.

A colleague received his first AerClub cards this week, a Silver followed by a Platinum 2 days later, despite his gap of 3 months from when he made silver to when he made platinum.

Apologies I meant seat upgrade (which is one of the Platinum tier benefits) - is this automatic, or do you have to request it ?

(They obviously say its subject to availability).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

mx5ire wrote:
    I cannot login to my Avios account as it wants me to change my password - now i asked this a little while ago here and Andy said that he had issues too - but when i rang Avios directly the girl told me that if i change it on Avios.com it will auto update the EI website too to maintain the link. Frankly i don't believe her, or more to the point, trust the EI website. Any more experiences of this ??

You can believe her. AerClub password authentication is all done by Avios, so yes when you change your password on Avios it automatically changes on AerClub. It is the same account.

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    mx5ire wrote:

You can believe her. AerClub password authentication is all done by Avios, so yes when you change your password on Avios it automatically changes on AerClub. It is the same account.
    Thanks for the confirmation - i tried that - changed it on the Avios site and gave it a few mins, then tried EI site. All fine. One to remember i guess. I wonder does it work the other way, change it on EI website first. 

Now just need to figure out why they want 20,000 Avios for Dubrovnik when their website clearly lists it as 15,000 Peak time.

• Advertisement

MayoSalmon wrote: »

Only problem with that is it doesn't actually work like that!

I reset my Avios password, then I'm locked out of Aer Lingus website (trying the new Avios password as well as the old password), I then go and reset my Aer Lingus password (to the same password I set on Avios), and then I'm locked out of Avios!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Only problem with that is it doesn't actually work like that!

I reset my Avios password, then I'm locked out of Aer Lingus website (trying the new Avios password as well as the old password), I then go and reset my Aer Lingus password (to the same password I set on Avios), and then I'm locked out of Avios!

It does work like that I done it mutiple times myself to confirm. There might be something else blocking you account.

The funny thing is if you change it on Aerlingus.com first it won't change on Avios...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭thebiglad

banchang wrote: »
    Apologies I meant seat upgrade (which is one of the Platinum tier benefits) - is this automatic, or do you have to request it ?

(They obviously say its subject to availability).

Definitely not automatic - you will need to apply to Aer Lingus Aer Club. Unlike Gold Circle (Elite) where it was instantly confirmed my personal recent experience and that of many posters has been that you will be placed on standby and it will be confirmed approx 24 hours pre-flight - much as if you had bid for the upgrade.

I have used my Concierge upgrades twice for flights to US and been successful both times but, not knowing from the outset is a pain and the perk isn't what it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Definitely not automatic - you will need to apply to Aer Lingus Aer Club. Unlike Gold Circle (Elite) where it was instantly confirmed my personal recent experience and that of many posters has been that you will be placed on standby and it will be confirmed approx 24 hours pre-flight - much as if you had bid for the upgrade.

I have used my Concierge upgrades twice for flights to US and been successful both times but, not knowing from the outset is a pain and the perk isn't what it used to be.

Thanks for this. So if I buy an economy ticket, I don't just request the upgrade at check-in ?

You would imagine that this is the way a 'subject to availability ' arrangement would work - they know it there's empty seats in Business 2 hours before departure time, & they move you up then if there's free seats ?

Definitely not automatic - you will need to apply to Aer Lingus Aer Club.  Unlike Gold Circle (Elite) where it was instantly confirmed my personal recent experience and that of many posters has been that you will be placed on standby and it will be confirmed approx 24 hours pre-flight - much as if you had bid for the upgrade.

Thanks for this. So if I buy an economy ticket, I don't just request the upgrade  at check-in ?

You would imagine that this is the way a 'subject to availability ' arrangement would work - they know it there's empty seats in Business 2 hours before departure time, & they move you up then if there's free seats ?
    Hi - I will just share my experience so far in trying to use one of my complimentary upgrades right now. This used to be straightforward in Gold Circle - you rang them, told what you wanted and they either said Yes or No. Sometimes it had to go 'upstairs' to Revenue but it normally came back Yes or No within 24 hours. 

So i called AerClub about a month ago, got a guy who was very nice but very clearly didnt know the process now. He took all the details, booking details for a flight to US in Sept (so over 2 months away), and said that he would request it. So i asked when i would know, and he said 24 hours before departure !!! And i had to call them first to make whatever approval takes place, it wont just happen for me. 

Would be curious to see how you or others get on with similar - bear in mind mine is a complimentary one, i didnt try to use Avios as apparently that a whole other hit and miss exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Thanks for this. So if I buy an economy ticket, I don't just request the upgrade at check-in ?

Never done it that way myself, but I have been upgraded twice at boarding gate without having made a request but guess that's due to overloading economy and it suited them to upgrade me, it didn't count against my entitlement and I hadn't looked for it.

As they will not confirm until virtually boarding anyhow i guess there is no harm to ask not long before departure but I suspect you'll need to speak to Aer Club and not the check in staff.

If you want the upgrade you are best to apply ASAP and get your name top of the list for any available seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Almond87

Can someone clarify something for me? Not sure I understand what's written on the website.

Case 1: I was awarded Green Tier and my membership expires in April 2018 but I get upgraded Silver in February 2018. If I don't collect 300 tiers till February 2019, my tiers reset to zero and I become a green tier member again?

Case 2: I was awarded Platinum and I don't fly for 12 months. Do I need to collect 900 tiers to re-reach my Platinum status? Or my status stays intact and I need to collect 300 tiers to get Concierge?

Thanks very much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Almond87 wrote: »
    Case 1: I was awarded Green Tier and my membership expires in April 2018 but I get upgraded Silver in February 2018. If I don't collect 300 tiers till February 2019, my tiers reset to zero and I become a green tier member again?
    Not quite, you become silver in Feb 18 till Apr 19, tier credits reset to zero Apr 18 and 301 or more between Apr 18 and 19 to stay silver.
    Almond87 wrote: »
    Case 2: I was awarded Platinum and I don't fly for 12 months. Do I need to collect 900 tiers to re-reach my Platinum status? Or my status stays intact and I need to collect 300 tiers to get Concierge?
    you will need to earn 1051 in the 12 months prior to your renewal date

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Could Aer Lingus have made this scheme any more complicated and user unfriendly if they tried...?

I've used Turkish Airlines a bit recently, the day after you take the flight you receive an email telling you you've been credited with the miles for your flight, how difficult would it be for Aer Lingus to do the same and avoid all this hassle...?

I've used Turkish Airlines a bit recently, the day after you take the flight you receive an email telling you you've been credited with the miles for your flight, how difficult would it be for Aer Lingus to do the same and avoid all this hassle...?

Aer Lingus can't even give us a monthly statement anymore!!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

Is there an online process for claiming missing Avios like what BA have? Flew from Bilbao to Dublin recently and the Avios isn't appearing, despite the fact I flew Dublin to Amsterdam a few days prior and that has been on there a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Noxegon

ahbell wrote: »
    Is there an online process for claiming missing Avios like what BA have?

The usual process involves some or all of the following steps:

- Sending a nice email
    - Following up by phone
    - Following up by phone again
    - Tweeting and/or posting to Facebook
    - Offering a novena
    - An acknowledgement by Aer Lingus that points will be added shortly
    - A letter from Aer Lingus downgrading your status because you did not achieve the required number of tier points in the previous period
    - Sending an angry follow up asking whiskey tango foxtrot
    - Offering a second novena
    - Finally accepting that the points will probably never be awarded
    - Booking future flights with other airlines

Hope this helps.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

this is a very confusing programme!

I'm a Silver member, with a renewal of Mar 18. Already been through the whole points disappearing 12 months out thing etc. Have 300 odd points since and slowly on my way to Plat.

In early August I got an email from Aerclub welcoming me to Silver. I've been Silver since AerClub started, so maybe that's just more of their ****ty IT, espeically as the Avios balance in the email reads 0 (I've about 26K of those in my AerClub account). Anyway, I ignore the email.

Then , this morning I get a brand new Silver welcome pack in the post. Tags, and a card with a new expiration of Mar 19. Did I get this for crossing 300 points again? Logging in to the site confirms my new expiry date is Mar 2019 and I've got until then to earn the 286 credits I need for Plat. Won't that reset in March 2018 though?

I'm not too bothered as all I want from the programme is lounge access and fast track security. Just thought it strange and wanted to share.

Spoke with AerLingus/AerClub earlier today, still chasing missing flights from EI and UA, was told 5 weeks ago that missing EI from Nov 16 would be there within 10 days. Still waiting. He asked me about the missing flights form, i explained that i have done it more than 10 times, and emailed aerclub migration every day for the last 3 weeks with no response - so he sent the details up to IT. I assume translating this means you are never getting the  Tier or avios points. 

Asked about UA and BA missing flights, and he was crystal clear about it - you will not be receiving them in the foreseeable future - EI flights only. And you still have to fight for them - business TA again earlier this month needed missing flight forms filled in. 

What a complete and utter sh!tshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

Does anyone know if there is a lounge in Schiphol that Aer Lingus Silver members can use? If so what do I have to do to gain access to the lounge. I have moved into Silver (don't have card yet, only can show card on the App) and I am flying back from Schiphol to Dublin tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

acer911 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a lounge in Schiphol that Aer Lingus Silver members can use? If so what do I have to do to gain access to the lounge. I have moved into Silver (don't have card yet, only can show card on the App) and I am flying back from Schiphol to Dublin tomorrow.

Silver only gets you into the Aer Lingus home base lounges (Dublin). There isn't a card in the world, that I'm aware of, that gives access on the first tier and its frankly a joke that it does. Undermines the whole point of being a frequent flyer if the lounge is chock full (United paid the price for this when they gave access to anyone with a credit card, the Club lounges are usually full as a result) Airlines have to pay for people who go to lounges that are not their own, so I very much doubt Aer Lingus will fork out for a partner lounge for Silver tier customers.

Silver cards get you into all U.K. Lounges

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

Silver cards get you into all U.K. Lounges

And more, I used my silver card in Dusseldorf, Toronto, Paris, and Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Quick question chaps. Does Platinum status entitle you to an additional checked bag for transatlantic flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

And more, I used my silver card in Dusseldorf, Toronto, Paris, and Rome.

You can add Schiphol to that too. No problem, free Aspire 41 lounge access.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

acer911 wrote: »
    You can add Schiphol to that too. No problem, free Aspire 41 lounge access.

And Zurich

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

also Madrid

Quick question chaps. Does Platinum status entitle you to an additional checked bag for transatlantic flights?

I doubt it, but you can always chance your arm!! (you could in Gold Circle days anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

ironclaw wrote: »
    Silver only gets you into the Aer Lingus home base lounges (Dublin). There isn't a card in the world, that I'm aware of, that gives access on the first tier and its frankly a joke that it does. Undermines the whole point of being a frequent flyer if the lounge is chock full (United paid the price for this when they gave access to anyone with a credit card, the Club lounges are usually full as a result) Airlines have to pay for people who go to lounges that are not their own, so I very much doubt Aer Lingus will fork out for a partner lounge for Silver tier customers.

Incorrect. Silver Aer Club gets you access to all partner lounges. Note BA Silver also gets you access to all partner lounges bar 1st class lounges, but any location with a 1st class lounge will always have a separate lounge you can access

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

Casati wrote: »
    Incorrect. Silver Aer Club gets you access to all partner lounges. Note BA Silver also gets you access to all partner lounges bar 1st class lounges, but any location with a 1st class lounge will always have a separate lounge you can access

BA Silver does not equate to EI Silver however. EI Silver is the entry level tier just as BA Bronze is. EI Platinum is equivalent to BA Silver.

EI Silver also does not give you access to 51st and Green.

Advertisement