Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Wolf.dao wrote: »
    criminal carry on. at least I know now.

I know Turkish, Ethiopian and United all do the same and I'd imagine most other airlines do.

With United there are two different ways of upgrading from Economy to Business. You can 'buy-up' which is where you pay the fare differential but not the change fee. This will then book you into business fare bucket and you will get miles for the business fare. Then there is what is known as TOD (tens of dollars upgrade) This is a offer you'll see normally during check-in which will upgrade you but you still only get miles based on your purchased (economy) fare class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Completely standard policy, unless you paid full price you don't get anything extra. Points/status is earned on the sold/ticketed class, not the actual class flown.

Some airlines have business class fares that earn zero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

in a reversal of the usual process I've just had tier points post, but no Avios yet. Travel was Dub<>LHR last Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

in a reversal of the usual process I've just had tier points post, but no Avios yet. Travel was Dub<>LHR last Tuesday.

Flown a few times with Aer Lingus in the past 6 week. 2 out of 7 flights have appeared. Leg from DUB to LHR on one booking and a leg from LHR to DUB on another booking is there.

Of course, the Aer Lingus business class flight from Dublin to Chicago, the United flight from Chicago to Miami and the Aer Lingus economy flight from Miami to Dublin are all missing.

• Advertisement

Of course, the Aer Lingus business class flight from Dublin to Chicago, the United flight from Chicago to Miami and the Aer Lingus economy flight from Miami to Dublin are all missing.

You won't get anything coming though for the United flight anyways

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    You won't get anything coming though for the United flight anyways

At what stage does Aer Lingus keeping United on their website become a lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

At what stage does Aer Lingus keeping United on their website become a lie?

if you dig in there enough, anything United ex-Chicago (and possibly DC?) doesn't qualify. I got hit with that last year.

EDIT: on reflection that was been a Gold Circle quirk. Possibly carried over to AerClub?

if you dig in there enough, anything United ex-Chicago (and possibly DC?) doesn't qualify. I got hit with that last year.

EDIT: on reflection that was been a Gold Circle quirk. Possibly carried over to AerClub?

In case it makes any difference, it was booked via Aer Lingus as a single PNR through to Miami (return was direct because of the new route that they launched).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Hi Guys,

I just signed up with AerClub and I have started saving up Avios Points while also converting my Super Valu points to Avios points.

Now, I understand that Avios Points are saved up and you can put them towards future flights, potentially getting free flights if you have enough.

My concern is the Tier System. Has anybody much experience with it? I am obviously Green Tier (gotta start somewhere), but I would like to get Silver Tier so that I can avail of priority boarding and lounge access.

I go away a few times a year and have some upcoming trips. I understand the Tiers reset after a year.

Is it worth it? How long did it take you to get to silver? Did you have any problems with it? Do you love it?

Did you purposely go for the more expensive (Flexi) flights to rank up quicker?

Did you make your family/partner book with Aer Lingus too on your account, to get the extra points?

Any advice, tips, past experience is appreciated! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If your a casual flyer there's almost no chance of making silver (unless you book the more expensive Plus & Advantage fares), on Saver fares you'd need 20+ European flights in a 12 month period to qualify for Silver.
    The saver fares give you 15 Tier credits per one way flight, if you get a promotional fare, it's only 7.5 credits per flight!!

You will only receive Tier credits for flights you take yourself, not for family/friends travelling on the the same booking. (They can receive the points if they are members, but you'll only get the credits for your seat being filled)

Overall advice would be to join, and start collecting Tier Credits/Avios (Avios are worth f**k all by the way (see above)), but don't expect to make Silver unless you do a few trans Atlantic flights a year supplemented by a couple of European flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

mx5ire wrote: »
    You must just be lucky - no responses for me under the current email chain. I received a mail in late July telling me flights would be added within 10 days - which are the EI ones that i am still chasing. Two phone calls since have had the issue "sent upstairs" to IT for resolution. 

Dug up the content below from an informational AerClub Migration mail on the 10th March  - clearly my recent comms with them in relation to absolutely not getting partner airlines Avios in the near to medium term shows they are going backwards. But while Nov 16 is meant to be a blackhole, it is clear that from 01 Nov onwards is a legitimate points earning timeframe.

You can claim Avios points and Tier Credits On Aer Lingus Flights and for travel on our AerClub partner airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, United and Qantas. Please note that travel on partner airlines does not qualify for AerClub Tier Credits.
    Please note that points can only be credited to your account for travel completed since the 1st of November for migrated AerClub members or from the date of first registration to AerClub, otherwise normal T&Cs apply.

I have the same! I rang twice and sent the same email 3 times and got nothing.
    "I've sent a request" is what i got on the phone.

They must have got new staff too because the same lady i spoke to both times sounded like she had just gotten out of bed. GC they were fairly prompt. it may not have always been good news but they replied anyway.

Waste of space of an airline. Hate flying with them. I usually fly with them, KLM and aeroflot all one day and its the worst part getting shoed into my seat after a long day.

If your a casual flyer there's almost no chance of making silver (unless you book the more expensive Plus & Advantage fares), on Saver fares you'd need 20+ European flights in a 12 month period to qualify for Silver.
    The saver fares give you 15 Tier credits per one way flight, if you get a promotional fare, it's only 7.5 credits per flight!!

You will only receive Tier credits for flights you take yourself, not for family/friends travelling on the the same booking. (They can receive the points if they are members, but you'll only get the credits for your seat being filled)

Overall advice would be to join, and start collecting Tier Credits/Avios (Avios are worth f**k all by the way (see above)), but don't expect to make Silver unless you do a few trans Atlantic flights a year supplemented by a couple of European flights.

Wow, I can't believe I won't get points for her flight too. I booked two flights, I should get points for two of them. Thats ridiculous. Screw this whole Tier System. Its impossible, unless you go away regularly on business. Load of ****! :mad:

-heads to pub-

BaRcOe wrote: »
    Wow, I can't believe I won't get points for her flight too. I booked two flights, I should get points for two of them. Thats ridiculous. Screw this whole Tier System. Its impossible, unless you go away regularly on business. Load of ****! :mad:

Its a Frequent Flyer Program not a casual flyer one. That being said its actually way easier to obtain status within AerClub than it ever was in Gold Circle for the non frequent flyer.

Standard FFP practice that you only receive credit for your tickets regardless if theirs 100 people on your itinerary. All 100 are entitled to get credit once they sign up to AerClub, you however are not entitled to are 100 credits yourself regardless whether you purchased all the tickets or not.

Its a Frequent Flyer Program not a casual flyer one. That being said its actually way easier to obtain status within AerClub than it ever was in Gold Circle for the non frequent flyer.

Standard FFP practice that you only receive credit for your tickets regardless if theirs 100 people on your itinerary. All 100 are entitled to get credit once they sign up to AerClub, you however are not entitled to are 100 credits yourself regardless whether you purchased all the tickets or not.

So I literally have to go on about 20 Flights to get to Silver. By the time I reach Silver the Tiers would be resetting on my account. Its hopeless! </3

-still in pub-

BaRcOe wrote: »
    So I literally have to go on about 20 Flights to get to Silver. By the time I reach Silver the Tiers would be resetting on my account. Its hopeless! </3

-still in pub-

Well its a frequent flyer club:confused:

7 Return European trips booked on Advanatge Fare will get you into Silver
    5 Return Transatlantic trips booked in Flex Fare will get you into Silver

Once you reach status you will have it for a minimum of 12 months, your balance will reset every 12 months however your status will not immediately downgrade.

That being said its actually way easier to obtain status within AerClub than it ever was in Gold Circle for the non frequent flyer.

I'd have to agree with this statement.

Its so much easier to obtain status, and then climb through the Tiers with AerClub than it ever was with Gold Circle in my opinion. In 9 years in Gold Circle I was always Gold (equivalent to Silver), and only once almost made it up to the next level (but didn't due to some missing points:mad:). In the great changeover/farce to AerClub I got demoted to Green. I started flying again in January, and after todays/tomorrows flights I'll only be 91 Tier credits away from the Concierge Tier (I'll knock those out in either 4 Plus fares, or 2 Advantage fares in the next week or 2).

In the same period in Gold Circle, I'd have probably only earned in the region of 3,000 points, enough to re-qualify me for Gold for another year. This would have been down to a lot of the flights I took not earning any points as they were a particular fare class (despite me booking Plus fares which were supposed to guarantee the GC points, you still had to chase up most of them) whereas now, I get Tier Credits for every flight I take (I only book Plus/Advantage fares, so it's a minimum of 25 credits per flight).

• Registered Users Posts: 31 DanRocksOn

Noxegon wrote: »
    ahbell wrote: »
    Is there an online process for claiming missing Avios like what BA have?

The usual process involves some or all of the following steps:

- Sending a nice email
    - Following up by phone
    - Following up by phone again
    - Tweeting and/or posting to Facebook
    - Offering a novena
    - An acknowledgement by Aer Lingus that points will be added shortly
    - A letter from Aer Lingus downgrading your status because you did not achieve the required number of tier points in the previous period
    - Sending an angry follow up asking whiskey tango foxtrot
    - Offering a second novena
    - Finally accepting that the points will probably never be awarded
    - Booking future flights with other airlines

Hope this helps.

Spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

Question for those knowledgeable in this - it may have been asked before but i am not clear on it:

If i am travelling within the US via New York (EWR or JFK), and on the the next destination on an EI numbered flight but its a United or Jetblue aircraft, do i still get Tier Points ? I completely understand the lack of Tier Points on a united plane with a united flight number, you should get avios but don't at the moment because the system is screwed up, but if its an EI number on someone elses plane whats the deal for Tier Points ?

EI's website says " [font=CartoGothic-Light, CartoGothic-Light-e, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]You earn Tier Credits on Aer Lingus flights only.[/font]" - but does this mean an EI plane or will an EI flight number qualify ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

I finally got a reply but she only replied to half the stuff i sent in the email and said i was owed 145 tier credits, that was Monday and still only the 112 i originally got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Question for those knowledgeable in this - it may have been asked before but i am not clear on it:

If i am travelling within the US via New York (EWR or JFK), and on the the next destination on an EI numbered flight but its a United or Jetblue aircraft, do i still get Tier Points ? I completely understand the lack of Tier Points on a united plane with a united flight number, you should get avios but don't at the moment because the system is screwed up, but if its an EI number on someone elses plane whats the deal for Tier Points ?

EI's website says " [font=CartoGothic-Light, CartoGothic-Light-e, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]You earn Tier Credits on Aer Lingus flights only.[/font]" - but does this mean an EI plane or will an EI flight number qualify ?

Only flights taken on EI operated flight will earn tier credits.

Only flights taken on EI operated flight will earn tier credits.
    Yeah i figured that was the case.

Just wondering then why then would you choose a connection, with lets say United, on an EI flight number as opposed to the same physical United plane with a United flight number. If the price is the same - what's the advantage ? Its not checked through luggage, they will do that either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

Just wondering then why then would you choose a connection, with lets say United, on an EI flight number as opposed to the same physical United plane with a United flight number. If the price is the same - what's the advantage ? Its not checked through luggage, they will do that either way.[/quote]

Having just returned from the U.S where I had internal United connections I'm asking why I did just that. I flew business but had no lounge access, no priority boarding for the internal flights plus got no tier points for them either.

In future I'd think it's better flying United all the way and rack up Star alliance points

Casati wrote: »
    Just wondering then why then would you choose a connection, with lets say United, on an EI flight number as opposed to the same physical United plane with a United flight number. If the price is the same - what's the advantage ? Its not checked through luggage, they will do that either way.

Having just returned from the U.S where I had internal United connections I'm asking why I did just that. I flew business but had no lounge access, no priority boarding  for the internal flights plus got no tier points for them either.

In future I'd think it's better flying United all the way and rack up Star alliance points[/quote]

Yup - that is the other conundrum. I have been up the tier chain with United over the years but depending on where i was going, i switched back to Aer Lingus again. I simply dont fly enough to keep 2 or more flyer programs populated. Also comes down to price - our corporate rates to the US with EI are typically more competitive than the others like BA and United. Very hard to justify spending (sometimes significantly) more to get to more or less the same airport or city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

Any chance Aerlingus will ever join One World or at least get a U.S alliance with American rather than Jet Blue or United?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 DanRocksOn

Flew EI108 from JFK on 4th June, outward journey credited but no tier or avios points still for return leg. It was a 'z' code but still expected the min tier points? There was a bid upgrade with a 'U' classification, but surely points are accruable on the original ticket booking?
    i've e mailed Aerclub and got standard missed flights link and I've uploaded the missing flight 3 times now but no response. Aerclub 'Egar' did not explain the situation, seems arbitrary, random and capricious points allocation? (11 tiers points from Platinium).

Also no lounge access now at Faro or Malaga ('Aerlingus regrets'), meanwhile BA and Iberia sister loyalty card holders get access! This is 2nd class citizens treatment, its either a functioning loyalty card service or its not, not this 'double-bind' psychological abuse 'service'

I have the same issue. I had an accepted bid for an upgrade. Was told that they were workig out policy and "IT" could not handle it. No tier credit for the E fare and no avios. This after a year of introduction and God knows how many emails to the black hole of aer club.

Right - any opinions on this....

Have been chasing a missing EI flight from late Nov 16 last year - got the Inbound leg ok at the time - btu the outbound let never appeared. So numerous calls, mails, flight forms etc etc later - finally got a mail to say that it was already credited to the Gold Circle account and migrated with those points as part of the Aerclub migration from GC.

This was a flight on the 29th Nov - 8 days after AerClub started on 21st Nov. I simply do not believe them. At all. I have repeatedly seen references in various media (Twitter, FlyerTalk etc) to flights taken post AerClub launch will ONLY be credited to Aerclub - not back to GC. How can this make any sense ???

Right - any opinions on this....

Have been chasing a missing EI flight from late Nov 16 last year - got the Inbound leg ok at the time - btu the outbound let never appeared. So numerous calls, mails, flight forms etc etc later - finally got a mail to say that it was already credited to the Gold Circle account and migrated with those points as part of the Aerclub migration from GC.

This was a flight on the 29th Nov - 8 days after AerClub started on 21st Nov. I simply do not believe them. At all. I have repeatedly seen references in various media (Twitter, FlyerTalk etc) to flights taken post AerClub launch will ONLY be credited to Aerclub - not back to GC. How can this make any sense ???

You've been had,

Tell them you don't give a sh1t about the GC points that were transferred to avoid for the particular flight, and you're more interested in the Tier Credits (if you need them that is)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Ask them to prove it to you in writing (might take a decade with the luck you seem to be having) they can't just fob you off, doesn't sound legit.

Advertisement