Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

aerclubmigration at aerfungus.com

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭barman linen

Yeah, crazy hour!! And I’d say the number of card holders is huge now!! As well as those with purchased lounge access!!

Their going to need a bigger lounge!

....and the line for Priority boarding can be longer than standard boarding. Looks like there are lots of new members.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

....and the line for Priority boarding can be longer than standard boarding. Looks like there are lots of new members.

Part of me wonders will they start segregating priority by Concierge-Platinum-Silver-Paid, nearly all other airlines do, including BA who've just redone their boarding system.

Priority boarding is given away like sweets

1. Buy an exit row
    2. Buy rows 2-7
    3. Any AC status
    4. Chancers in the queue trying their luck

Its rare to see someone kicked out of the queue

Only DUB/LHR really enforces priority boarding, its a survival of the fittest elsewhere, (hello PRG I mean you...)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Coming back, and sorry to repeat myself, United have this exact problem given all the credit cards they have in circulation. The business class queue can be 50 or 60 deep. The problem is, once it forms, you can't start calling by status or tier as people will start to get annoyed. On the flip side, the priority queue of Ryanair regularly outdoes the standard queue as they've turned it into a money-making racket and I kinda applaud them for that.

The issue as I see it is that Aer Lingus is (at its heart) a budget airline, so like Ryanair, they need people queued and ready to go. The ideal would be to have everyone remain seated until called or lined up in segregated rows like you see for the larger airlines in Europe or when boarding large aircraft. But considering people can barely get through security, I'm not holding my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭trellheim

The issue as I see it is that Aer Lingus is (at its heart) a budget airline, so like Ryanair, they need people queued and ready to go. The ideal would be to have everyone remain seated until called or lined up in segregated rows like you see for the larger airlines in Europe or when boarding large aircraft. But considering people can barely get through security, I'm not holding my breath.

Compare to the EI regular comedy at Gatwick where you are not told whether to board from the front or the back, and which door to go out of, so since the front boards via the airbridge and the back via ground stairs, you frequently see row 3 and row 2 seats boarding from the back leading to immense frustration for plane staff, people who used the correct exit, and people who werent told which door to use to get to the aircraft.

Not making this up in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

trellheim wrote: »
    Is there an email for them ?

aerclubmigration@aerlingus.com

They replied once, the same girl that was always on the ball in GC "Catriona" is her name. She told me i was due 95 points and i never got them. That was April.

Currently in the Dublin lounge with a grand total of three other people. Don’t think I’ve ever seen it this empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

An AMS-DUB leg from APRIL has applied to my Avios and tier credits in the past few days since my last check. I filled in the missing flights form three times and had given up; indeed the boarding card went out in the recycling bin today!

Supervalu mailing seems to be on its way, wonder if there's a conversion deal avialable again like the last two times as I have 1500 points mostly from my credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Aer Lingus has no current plans to join OneWorld, they haven't even made the business case

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-has-no-plans-to-rejoin-airline-alliance-36320589.html

This is shocking... I'm concierge but if this is the attitude I am switching to BA as of next week even if it means going to the states via LHW.

I'm at a loss here. AerClub is poorly thought out. Silver benefits too high resulting in pressure at check-in, lounges etc. Without OneWorld they are simply not a serious option for global flyers. It's a pity as they have a great transatlantic offer. But BA's OneWorld offering and the lifetime points makes me struggle to stay loyal to an airline I've always liked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

Question on BA Exec Club - and getting Avios. 

So as BA flights are not currently getting credited to AerClub - can i at least get the Avios points by joining BA Exec Club, flying with them, and then transferring the BA Avios to my Aerclub avios account ? At least that way i should at least get the Avios, though not the Tier credits ?

mx5ire wrote: »
    Question on BA Exec Club - and getting Avios. 

So as BA flights are not currently getting credited to AerClub - can i at least get the Avios points by joining BA Exec Club, flying with them, and then transferring the BA Avios to my Aerclub avios account ? At least that way i should at least get the Avios, though not the Tier credits ?

You win both ways

BAEC flying BA/OW earns both tier and avios on BAEC
    BAEC flying on EI on EI code earns only avios,
    AC flying on BA earns only avios, but its not working currently
    AC flying on EI earns both tier and avios on AC

So if flying BA or flying BA issued ticket (125xxxxxxxxx with a BA flight number) on EI credit to BAEC

One gotcha, BA issued ticket on a EI prime code credit to AC (very very rare) will be a real pain to claim if it doesn't credit but it won't earn tier points on BAEC

If its EI issued ticket, EI code, EI operated, credit to AC

Merge/move avios as required around

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Funny story. Rang up to see if I could enquire how many Avios points it would be to upgrade two economy tickets of mine to business as according to their twitter you can do this.

First off the lady said you can’t. Told her that their customer service reps on twitter said a call was needed. She then said “I didn’t work the weekend so it must be new”. She put me on hold and came back and said actually it’s possible. Took my Aer club number and then said you don’t have enough points (only have 5k in AC) and I mentioned that I was just enquiring how many I’d need as I’ve >100k+ in BA but didn’t want to transfer over unless I needed to. Then she mentioned that she’d have to email IT mentioning I want to enquire about upgrading two tickets and that I have >100k+ on BA.

Seriously? IT have to get involved?! The cherry on the top was “expect a reply in 30-45 business days”.

Glad the tip in question is not until March but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

micosoft wrote: »
    Aer Lingus has no current plans to join OneWorld, they haven't even made the business case

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-has-no-plans-to-rejoin-airline-alliance-36320589.html

This is shocking... I'm concierge but if this is the attitude I am switching to BA as of next week even if it means going to the states via LHW.

I'm at a loss here. AerClub is poorly thought out. Silver benefits too high resulting in pressure at check-in, lounges etc. Without OneWorld they are simply not a serious option for global flyers. It's a pity as they have a great transatlantic offer. But BA's OneWorld offering and the lifetime points makes me struggle to stay loyal to an airline I've always liked.

Same here, I like flying with Aer Lingus, I like the product but the loyalty scheme is a total disaster.
    I disagree reference the benefits for silver tier members, I think anyone who does that amount of flights to qualify definitely deserves recognition, I think maybe instead of doing less for silver tier they should do more for platinum and concierge members.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Went through fast track BA Silver there in October with me and a guest. Have heard some people having issues bringing a guest though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Same here, I like flying with Aer Lingus, I like the product but the loyalty scheme is a total disaster.

Same here, I like them, but they royally messed this up. big time. I was 8 years in Gold circle, was told I'd be looked after and I got shafted in the change over, down to green.

I disagree reference the benefits for silver tier members, I think anyone who does that amount of flights to qualify definitely deserves recognition

I would have agreed with you when I was Silver :D:D , but look how easy it is to get Silver now: 7 one way flights to/from U.K. (6 Advantage & 1 Saver) and you're in!!

Someone could do that in a week if they wanted!! and then have the benefits of Silver for any odd random flights they want to take that year!! and thats it!!
    Spend a few quid and blitz it for a week in every year, and keep status. Its easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

I know many people who fly BA now instead of Aer Lingus as the Aerclub programme is so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

Question re - Green membership - and i know i asked something similar before - but i just want to try to be sure. 

So the other half is ex GC member, but at Green level in AC(should be Silver, missing uncredited flights blah blah) - and flies to the UK next week on the 28th - which will definitely give her Silver. However....arent Green level Tier points all to be reset on 28th Nov Evening  ? Or so i have read / been told.

So in theory - i can call them and say that she flew on the 28th, and even if the Tier points are gone back to zero - get her Silver membership added ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I would have agreed with you when I was Silver :D:D , but look how easy it is to get Silver now: 7 one way flights to/from U.K. (6 Advantage & 1 Saver) and you're in!! Someone could do that in a week if they wanted!!

You can do the requisite number of transatlantics in a week too if you felt so inclined. Time required to qualify is not relevant IMHO.

(That said, you're assuming all seven of your flights would be credited correctly. Given the general tone of this thread that would seem to be a very long shot indeed.)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Noxegon wrote: »
    You can do the requisite number of transatlantics in a week too if you felt so inclined. Time required to qualify is not relevant IMHO

I got into Silver on Stobart Air flights alone, where the Advantage fares were not a huge amount as demand was low.
    I bet all 7 of my 1 way flights combined were shorter in duration than a DUB-JFK flight
    I’m not so much saying how quickly you can get in, I’m saying how cheaply you can get Silver if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

If I had to choose between lounge and fast track I’d choose the lounge, security in Dublin is usually well organised and manned, unless you get stuck behind some idiot who can’t follow simple rules or some bewildered senior citizens you can be through in five minutes which is more than acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

If I had to choose between lounge and fast track I’d choose the lounge, security in Dublin is usually well organised and manned, unless you get stuck behind some idiot who can’t follow simple rules or some bewildered senior citizens you can be through in five minutes which is more than acceptable.

The last time I flew through Dublin I enquired at the Aer Club desk about bringing my travelling companion through fast track security. I was told it was only allowed for the card holder. Wasn't like that in GC days I told them!

Anyway we decided to test out how fast fast track is compared to the normal queue. Mid afternoon on a Thursday.

I went fast track and they went normal queue and ended up waiting for me at least two to three minute for me to come through fast track!

Interesting little experiment that was.

Silver card is no guest for anywhere

Platinum or better is guest at lounge and fast track

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

I disagree reference the benefits for silver tier members, I think anyone who does that amount of flights to qualify definitely deserves recognition, I think maybe instead of doing less for silver tier they should do more for platinum and concierge members.

Well if they can put in a Platinum/Concierge counter that would be ideal... but not sure they have the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭barman linen

micosoft wrote: »
    Well if they can put in a Platinum/Concierge counter that would be ideal... but not sure they have the space.

If flying transatlantic it is quicker to tag your own bag and throw it on the belt than to queue for the Premium Check in.

What was a nice perk in a nice lane is now totally redundant due to so many Silver and above members now.

Fast track at specific times remains the most important perk for me.

If flying transatlantic it is quicker to tag your own bag and throw it on the belt than to queue for the Premium Check in.

What was a nice perk in a nice lane is now totally redundant due to so many Silver and above members now.

Had this exact experience flying to Washington last week. Eight people ahead of me when I walked in to the lane, turned around and had it dropped off within 90 seconds outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Two bags Business/Priority yesterday from US. One came out within the first 10 bags, the other was the last bag out - 45mins later. Needless to say that was frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Two bags Business/Priority yesterday from US. One came out within the first 10 bags, the other was the last bag out - 45mins later. Needless to say that was frustrating.

My bag came out last from YYZ even with a business tag on it. I was told by the EI baggage desk, as I assumed it was lost, that its to do with the way the plane is loaded (They had a term for it) and there is nothing they can do about it. Basically, having priority baggage with EI is complete nonsense in some airports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

With containerised baggage its more complicated to keep priority bags as actual priority; hard to ensure they are actually last in to what will be the first container out.

Advertisement