Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Can you paste in the email? Would love to be able to confirm it with them myself and cite a source.

I have a look now...she did quote a section of the T&C's at the time.

It was section 5.2 and she said the progression and regression work the same in both directions

"Members progress from Green to Silver, Silver to Platinum and from Platinum to Concierge"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Can you paste in the email? Would love to be able to confirm it with them myself and cite a source.

I have a look now...she did quote a section of the T&C's at the time.

It was section 5.2 and she said the progression and regression work the same in both directions

"Members progress from Green to Silver, Silver to Platinum and from Platinum to Concierge"
    Huh? It says nothing of the sort. You drop right down to Green if you don' make the tier points. There is nothing in the tier points to suggest otherwise and the line you quoted is about going up through tiers, not the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'd be surprised if he above is true, but it's something I guess.

That said, I can tell you from personal experience I wouldn't believe anything an Aer Club rep tells you on the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

"Lady in AerClub explained this to me on the phone. Also got her to write me an email explaining it fully as I told her there was no information online confirming that. She duly did."

No offense but I seriously doubt this happened, I've never managed to have a single follow up email to any of the dozens of emails I've sent. I've had two replies neither of which addressed my queries and neither of which were responded to when I pointed this out. I've had one phone call answered out of numerous ones I've made and the person I spoke to made it quite clear neither he nor his colleagues on the phone could do anything for me and the only way to have my problem addressed was to keep sending emails.
    The reason they're not too bothered about chasing up your missing points is because they know that on the reset date the problem is going to go away anyway.
    As it stands my current points total is zero, the same as my spend on Aer Lingus since they did this, if I can keep it like that it should save us both a lot of wasted effort next year...

"Lady in AerClub explained this to me on the phone. Also got her to write me an email explaining it fully as I told her there was no information online confirming that. She duly did."

No offense but I seriously doubt this happened, I've never managed to have a single follow up email to any of the dozens of emails I've sent. I've had two replies neither of which addressed my queries and neither of which were responded to when I pointed this out. I've had one phone call answered out of numerous ones I've made and the person I spoke to made it quite clear neither he nor his colleagues on the phone could do anything for me and the only way to have my problem addressed was to keep sending emails.
    The reason they're not too bothered about chasing up your missing points is because they know that on the reset date the problem is going to go away anyway.
    As it stands my current points total is zero, the same as my spend on Aer Lingus since they did this, if I can keep it like that it should save us both a lot of wasted effort next year...

Well believe what you bloody want so :rolleyes: Hardly making it my business to imagine conversations I have had with AerClub staff for ****s and giggles.

I also asked the girls in lounge and they confirmed the downgrade process as well.

• Advertisement

Well believe what you bloody want so :rolleyes: Hardly making it my business to imagine conversations I have had with AerClub staff for ****s and giggles.

I also asked the girls in lounge and they confirmed the downgrade process as well.

Well looking back through the thread your indefatigable defence of the scheme is to be lauded, your either one of that tiny minority of members who have enjoyed the benefits of having your loyalty correctly acknowledged or you only fly twice a year so it really doesn't matter.
    Please feel free to copy and paste the body of the email you received, along with the name of the person who sent it so others less fortunate than yourself will be able to use the information to their benefit. It's hardly confidential if it's correct or should we just go ahead and file it in the big book of 'Never Happened' ...?

Well looking back through the thread your indefatigable defence of the scheme is to be lauded, your either one of that tiny minority of members who have enjoyed the benefits of having your loyalty correctly acknowledged or you only fly twice a year so it really doesn't matter.
    Please feel free to copy and paste the body of the email you received, along with the name of the person who sent it so others less fortunate than yourself will be able to use the information to their benefit. It's hardly confidential if it's correct or should we just go ahead and file it in the big book of 'Never Happened' ...?

So my defense of the scheme equates to me coming on the internet and making stuff up...not sure what I have to gain from any of that to be fair...but to each there own.

The program is a net benefit for me over Gold Circle. Fly roughly 10/12 times a year have made Platinum this year something which I rarely achieved in Gold Circle.

The points crediting is a pain in the arse however when I am in the lounge the girls have sorted it out immediately and have added on points for me then and then in some instances.

All I care about is travel benefits really and AerClub is tenfold better than Gold Circle in ensuring I get those considering my flying activity.

So my defense of the scheme equates to me coming on the internet and making stuff up...not sure what I have to gain from any of that to be fair...but to each there own.

The program is a net benefit for me over Gold Circle. Fly roughly 10/12 times a year have made Platinum this year something which I rarely achieved in Gold Circle.

The points crediting is a pain in the arse however when I am in the lounge the girls have sorted it out immediately and have added on points for me then and then in some instances.

All I care about is travel benefits really and AerClub is tenfold better than Gold Circle in ensuring I get those considering my flying activity.

Re. your text in bold above - What? Seriously? I've asked (incredibly politely) pretty much everytime I'm there (and I'm there A LOT, minimum 40 times this year) can they assist me in even getting someone to call me back from Aer Club who'll take my complaints seriously, and various other things Aer Club related. Never once have they offered to add in my missing points. I'm surprised they can do this. Very surprised.

Also, I don't think the pother poster was suggesting you were making stuff up; more that maybe the Aer Club person was telling you what you what you wanted to hear to get you off the call which has been the experience of many/most on here. But I'm sure they can speak for themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

I'm still waiting to see the email to be honest...

"The points crediting is a pain in the arse however when I am in the lounge the girls have sorted it out immediately and have added on points for me then and then in some instances."

Another entry for the big book of 'Never Happened' I'm sure but do you want to go ahead and post the contents of the email with the name of the person who sent it to you...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 alongwaytotipp

Is there any other way to spend my points other than booking flights ?  Am getting lots of emails telling me how to collect points but how to spend them other than on flights..  Flights that I would need to book for personal use are at peak demand times so they are never available (we are always last minute bookers !) and when you add taxes and charges the points save you almost nothing.  In the good old days you could buy real goods or get vouchers for Arnotss which was brilliant.  I now never bother chasing up missing flights, as long as I have enough for Silver which gets me access to the lounges and priority boarding I see no other point (no pun intended :D ) is being a member.

Is there any other way to spend my points other than booking flights ?

No :o

https://www.aerlingus.com/aerclub/using-aerclub/spending-avios/

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RMDrive

But didn't you tell us all a while back that they can be used to get an upgrade to Business?

RMDrive wrote: »
    But didn't you tell us all a while back that they can be used to get an upgrade to Business?

You can use them for a upgrade, its the equivalent to booking a new flight/seat and they will just charge you the prevailing Business Class redemption rate. Think its 50,000 to LA or something.

I take it the poster wants to use them outside the realm of anything flight related for example hotels, car hire etc

I follow this blog which gives you all Avios related info.

This particular post showed a way to use your Avios and pay cheaper tax compared to doing it through Avios.com.

http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/11/15/aer-lingus-avios-part-1-why-you-should-redeem-your-avios-on-aer-lingus/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

IAG is funneling tons of growth through Dublin and Aer Lingus...New Routes, New Aircraft etc are being pursued and purchased.

There is also serious progress being made to in relation to Aer Lingus code sharing with Ryanair for feeding them Transatlantic traffic. That will be a serious game changer so again your narrative that Aer Lingus is small fry within IAG is nonsense.
    2 new A330’s outside of existing order since IAG took over, in return the EI order for 9 A350s has been subsumed into the larger IAG orderbook.
    The order for A321LRs was in the works before the takeover. The previous CEO setup the B757 operation as a stopgap. He was telling Airbus “build it with the range we want and I’ll be first in the queue”

I will agree that some traffic funneling from IAG may be speeding up new routes being announced (DUB-SEA) The expected leased A330 next year is coming from an IAG shareholder. However before the IAG takeover EI were already showing very high load factors due to their US-Dublin-Europe/UK connection offering. Hence the buyout.

EI are still behind BA, IB and Level and possibly Vueling within IAG when it comes to investment by the group. BA and IB are getting the shiney new toys, Vueling are expanding with IAG ordered A320neo’s. No mention at all recently of new A320s for EI from the IAG order of over 100.

EI improving their product from dressed up LCC might interfere with their profitability. IAG will not allow that.
    They have their 2 premium brands, their European LCC to compete with Ryanair, their T/A LCC and their new baby (Level) will copy the EI model across Europe.

P.S. making Platinum in AerClub isn’t the same as Platinum in GC program.

Still waiting for you to post that email Mayo Salmon...?

Still waiting for you to post that email Mayo Salmon...?

Ah with all the non-believers and nay-sayers on here ye don't deserve to see the contents of the big book of 'Never Happened' at this stage

Ah with all the non-believers and nay-sayers on here ye don't deserve to see the contents of the big book of 'Never Happened' at this stage

Looks like this years edition of the 'Big Book of Never Happened' is going to be a bumper edition, you may even get a chapter of your own at this stage. Having reviewed your previous contribution to this thread I'm not inclined to believe anything you say, and after this post I doubt many others will either.
    Not sure exactly what your game is here, but not really too concerned to be totally honest, other than muddy the waters, you don't really contribute anything useful to the debate...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Supervalu have their 3x deal on printed voucher conversion again. Between my energy bills and my credit card- and a rare bottle of beer or two from SV as I buy little else there - I've got about 8000 out of them this year now.

Must actually decide what to do with what I've got now! All transferred to BAEC for spend.

Having reviewed your previous contribution to this thread I'm not inclined to believe anything you say, and after this post I doubt many others will either. Not sure exactly what your game is here, but not really too concerned to be totally honest, other than muddy the waters, you don't really contribute anything useful to the debate...

Well don't then...and you can go back through every single post I have on this thread and you will not find one falsehood.

My game here is not to contribute to the daily bemoanings or debate as you so call it that you see here in regards to AerClub or Are Lingus in general. I actually have a positive experience with them shock horror.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Front of house in the lounge have absolutely no control over anything beyond seat allocations and bookings

Everything to do with points is "upstairs" they can send an email and thats about it. They of course can bend the rules a bit if they know you are entitled to lounge access but the points are missing

In GC days they certainly could see my travel history which was helpful to troubleshoot missing points

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

mx5ire wrote: »
    Really ? That seems a very strange setup and very different to Gold Circle - i seem to recall that if you didnt get the 2400 points to keep old Green, you just dropped back from Prestige or Elite to Applicant status. Happened to me a few times over the years. I never recall having a 'soft landing'. Is that stated in T&C's somewhere ?

They have used the soft landing model with GC in the past

Around 2012 I was prestige but started using BA a lot more the following year so when it came to the usual renewal I hadn’t earned the necessary points to retain GC (let alone prestige) and was expecting to be dropped out of GC completely but I definitely got a soft landing from prestige GC just down to the next level (no points exchanged either), and in the following year again I stuck with BA (mainly used their lh flights and was gold status) so again didn’t earn enough points again so lost GC completely

They have used the soft landing model with GC in the past

Around 2012 I was prestige but started using BA a lot more the following year so when it came to the usual renewal I hadn’t earned the necessary points to retain GC (let alone prestige) and was expecting to be dropped out of GC completely but I definitely got a soft landing from prestige GC just down to the next level (no points exchanged either), and in the following year again I stuck with BA (mainly used their lh flights and was gold status) so again didn’t earn enough points again so lost GC completely

Hilton Honors also do this, I was Diamond status with them for a number of years and when I stopped using them for a while I was getting ready to lose my status. A few months before the date they started email marketing me to remind me but as I wasn’t using them I wasn’t too bothered. Then a couple of weeks before the end date they wrote to me saying I was about to lose Diamons status through inactivity however if I could show them I was a top tier member of two other hotel loyalty schemes they would extend it by another year. I sent them a copy of my membership of IHG and Club Carlson and they extended it by another year.

From memory, when you dropped a tier on GC you had the equivalent tier points deducted from your balance - again from memory this was around 2,400 points st the lower level anyway. If you didn’t have enough points on your balance and/or you hadn’t accumulated enough points in the previous year to retain your existing status you dropped back to applicant.

AerClub wiping your full balance every November though is too much imo. I had a return business flight from the US in the 26th of last month. Two days later those 125 points were gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Well its not wiping anything out

Your avios are still there

If you were a BA exec member it would be exactly the same. Folks need to read the terms and conditions, ignore what is said on the phone or by email its the published T&C's which count. I can't see that anything contrary to the T&C's has occured

Well its not wiping anything out

Your avios are still there

If you were a BA exec member it would be exactly the same. Folks need to read the terms and conditions, ignore what is said on the phone or by email its the published T&C's which count. I can't see that anything contrary to the T&C's has occured

I never said my avios were wiped.

However, since you brought it up, my avios points are also woefully under-credited. I have 30+ US internal flights on United that haven't been credited to my account (and this is on top of the 14 Aer Lingus flights that I haven't been credited). All of the United flights were connections booked through Aer Lingus. I don't know for certain BUT I assume that avios aren't credited until Aer Lingus confirms them?

I also never said anything hasn't happened that shouldn't have re. wiping. What my complaints are about are:
    • My transfer from GC wasn't done correctly and I was put in the wrong tier from Day 1 of AC. I was put on Green when I should have been Platinum (from memory). 13+months later this still hasn't been resolved
    • I "cashed in" my surplus GC points for vouchers. These never arrived, appear not to have been processed and despite proving I applied for this transfer via screen grabs and emails etc.. 13+ months later it's still not resolved
    • My missing Aer Lingus flights which left me stuck at various levels for way longer than should have been required to move levels had they processed things in a timely and efficient manner (see earlier comments above). I'm now Platinum for the next 12 months when I passed the threshold for Concierge months ago. This also has implications for my avios total. I have zero faith in this being resolved in the next 12months based on my experiences to date
    • My missing United flights and the implications of this for my avios total (again, see earlier comments above)
    • The simply APPALLING Customer Service

So, pardon me for being p*ssed off with them.

Don't want to kick you while you're down but as far as I was aware no partner Avios have posted yet? I have two United and two BA flights from earlier in the year that never posted too.

Don't want to kick you while you're down but as far as I was aware no partner Avios have posted yet? I have two United and two BA flights from earlier in the year that never posted too.

EXAMPLE:

aerclubmigration <aerclubmigration@aerlingus.com>
    31 May

to me
    Dear (I've removed my real name)
    Thank you for your email and please accept our apologies for the delay in replying to you.
    We have reviewed / validated your claim for your UA flights on (I've removed the dates here but there were 10 flights listed - this was AFTER I inputted all of them manually into their system which BTW I had to contact United to get some of the info. for those flights as it's not probided on the Aer Lingus website or Booking Ref. Agin super customer-friendly) and we will process it as quickly as possible.
    Once validated the Tier Credits and Avios points associated with these flights will be credited to your account within 10 days. Obviously this never happened...but why make such a promise? When your missing flight claim has been processed, it will be available for view on your online account.
    To avoid having to wait on award for future bookings please include your AerClub number at the time of booking to ensure the Tier Credits and Avios points are automatically credited to your account once flown. I book through aerlingus.com - this is done automatically!
    If you wish to claim Avios points and Tier Credits on Aer Lingus Flights please click here
    You can also use this facility to claim Avios points for travel on our AerClub partner airlines - British Airways, Cathay Pacific, United and Qantas. Please note that travel on partner airlines does not qualify for AerClub Tier Credits.
    Credit for travel on other airlines will be in the next phase of the rollout of AerClub so you will not see Avios points for these flight until then.
    All necessary information can be found on your Booking Confirmation email or on your ticket.
    Please note that Avios points can only be credited to your account for travel completed since the 1st of November for migrated AerClub members, or from the date of first registration to AerClub, otherwise normal T&Cs apply.
    Kind regards
    Colleen

That was in May. My missing flights total on United is now 30+.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

First time in the lounge as a Concierge currently.

I might have some equals here, but not 1 fcuker here is above me, so y’all better step the fcuk back!!!!

• Advertisement

First time in the lounge as a Concierge currently.

I might have some equals here, but not 1 fcuker here is above me, so y’all better step the fcuk back!!!!

Wait till Willie Walsh walks in

Advertisement