Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Wait till Willie Walsh walks in

I doubt Willie mixes it with the plebs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I have aerclub points.
    I want to use them up for ireland-usa flights only.
    I've heard that telephoning BA results in cheaper taxes&charges than online booking, for direct EI flights.

Am I better off transfrerring aerclub points to avios.com to baec?
    Or which method gets the best value for avios, ireland-usa?

If you book a flight with Avios on Aer Lingus it will probably end up more expensive than if you kust book it regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

First time in the lounge as a Concierge currently.

I might have some equals here, but not 1 fcuker here is above me, so y’all better step the fcuk back!!!!
    Oh Dear, one of those "first timers".... looking down nose....;)

NSAman wrote: »
    Oh Dear, one of those "first timers".... looking down nose....;)

Better. Believe. It.

I was booked on the 20:20 flight home from MAN today but the meeting I was at finished early enough for me to make the 17:20 flight, so when I told the girl at check in I wanted to move to the earlier flight, she was like “oh, are you in the AerClub”?

Me: “better f**king believe I am.......” (even though my Plus fare also entitled me to a place on the earlier flight)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Ryan should of asked Saoirse Ronan what she thinks of AerClub and if she has received all her points :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,642 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Did she swoon at the sight of your Concierge card in an appropriate fashion? :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Ryan should of asked Saoirse Ronan what she thinks of AerClub and if she has received all her points :p

No doubt Saoirse would have sufficient resources to be able to employ the full time team of assistants that’s needed to engage in the laborious process of following up with phone calls and emails to try and persuade Aer Lingus/Aerclub you’ve actually taken the flight you’ve bought... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

zell12 wrote: »
    I have aerclub points.
    I want to use them up for ireland-usa flights only.
    I've heard that telephoning BA results in cheaper taxes&charges than online booking, for direct EI flights.

Am I better off transfrerring aerclub points to avios.com to baec?
    Or which method gets the best value for avios, ireland-usa?

Move them to BAEC, call BA & ask them to waive the telephone booking fee (tell 'em the dates aren't available to book online).

DUB-JFK return in Y for 26k Avios + €100

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Move them to BAEC, call BA & ask them to waive the telephone booking fee (tell 'em the dates aren't available to book online).

Any idea what th charges are for West Coast flights? I’d love to take advantage of that with my BA points to go to California

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Have to laugh at them having no issue with your points disappearing.

Casati wrote: »
    Any idea what th charges are for West Coast flights? I’d love to take advantage of that with my BA points to go to California

Number of Avios required will certainly be greater, as the west coast's in a different redemption zone. The charges & fees element shouldn't differ that much, if at all. Speak to an agent & see how you go.

EI's peak & off-peak 2018 calendar applies when booking through BAEC.

Aer-Lingus-Avios-off-peak-calendar-2018_1-400x163.jpg

Aer-Lingus-Avios-off-peak-calendar-2018_2-400x159.jpg

Aer-Lingus-Avios-off-peak-calendar-2018_3-400x161.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

I recently booked DUB to Miami return on Avios.com with Aer Lingus:

32.5k Avios + taxes of about €215 return. Q: Would I have paid much less taxes if I booked via BA phoneline?

Had one bugbear - Aer Lingus website didn’t recognise my Avios flight - basically it was considered as a 3rd party booking so wouldn’t let use the EI App for Mobile boarding pass etc. Pretty idiotic.

L1011 wrote: »
    Supervalu have their 3x deal on printed voucher conversion again. Between my energy bills and my credit card- and a rare bottle of beer or two from SV as I buy little else there - I've got about 8000 out of them this year now.

Must actually decide what to do with what I've got now! All transferred to BAEC for spend.

It takes ages to build up Super Valu points at the till. “Smart” uses Super Valu’s eShop instead.

Their link to Expedia.ie credits you 4 Avios points per each €1 spent on flights (this dropped recently though). But with Aerclub’s Triple Offer, that becomes 12x Avios for every €1 spent + what the airline credits you (3 points per €1 on EI). Mounts up nicely ;)

The other way to do it is use Avios.com’s Expedia link, but they only credit hotels and not flights, and also then you wouldn’t get that Aerclub triple offer via Super Valu. However, Expedia for hotels via Avios.com currently award 10 Avios per €1, which is great. It’s worth comparing these multipliers with Rocketmiles.com and Kaligo for a given hotel booking though. I’ve found Rocketmiles faster to credit points to BA/EI (10 days) vs 35 - 120 days whenever Expedia is involved.

I see that AerClub’s triple points offer has now run for 2 months in the last 8. Hopefully it will become a semi-regular promo in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

Number of Avios required will certainly be greater, as the west coast's in a different redemption zone. The charges & fees element shouldn't differ that much, if at all. Speak to an agent & see how you go.

EI's peak & off-peak 2018 calendar applies when booking through BAEC.

Aer-Lingus-Avios-off-peak-calendar-2018_1-400x163.jpg

Aer-Lingus-Avios-off-peak-calendar-2018_2-400x159.jpg

Aer-Lingus-Avios-off-peak-calendar-2018_3-400x161.jpg

Was looking for that on the aerclub site but nowhere to be found. San Fran is 32500 off peak, not bad going

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Have to laugh at them having no issue with your points disappearing.

I have an issue with them deleting my points before all the flights I'd taken had been correctly credited to my account. I have six missing flights which still haven't been added, I have numerous emails back and forth where I did the work and provided all the information they needed to confirm the flights, a couple of emails back from them where they said they're working on it and one where they (incorrectly) told me that everything had been corrected.
    It looks to me like they just ignore the complaints and don't get too worked up trying to confirm the missing flights, they just have to wait around twiddling their thumbs until the end of November when they get to reset them all to zero anyway. The problem is your status may be incorrectly frozen at the wrong level if they haven't correctly awarded you the points before the reset date.

eorpach wrote: »

32.5k Avios + taxes of about €215 return. Q: Would I have paid much less taxes if I booked via BA phoneline?

Yes, the charges & fees element on Avios.com is significantly more than you'll be charged by BAEC if you get an agent to issue the ticket (and waive the £30 telephone booking fee).

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

eorpach wrote: »

Had one bugbear - Aer Lingus website didn’t recognise my Avios flight - basically it was considered as a 3rd party booking so wouldn’t let use the EI App for Mobile boarding pass etc. Pretty idiotic.

I booked the same through BAEC, obviously it depends on whether it’s peak time or not, I booked for May, it was 32,500 BA miles return and 100euro in taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I'd imagine this may have been asked a million times but just looking for clarity. I have a BA Executive Club account, is it not possible to use this with Avios partners to earn points or do I have to create a separate AerClub account to do so?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

kmart6 wrote: »
    I'd imagine this may have been asked a million times but just looking for clarity. I have a BA Executive Club account, is it not possible to use this with Avios partners to earn points or do I have to create a separate AerClub account to do so?

Cheers!

You can transfer points instantly between BAEC and Aerclub, many Avios partners can only credit to one or the other but once you have both its not an issue.

I store mine in Aerclub for probably no good reason but spend via BAEC. I actually don't know if you have to credit something to BAEC to use it but any Oneworld flights I've done go there anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

L1011 wrote: »
    You can transfer points instantly between BAEC and Aerclub, many Avios partners can only credit to one or the other but once you have both its not an issue.

I store mine in Aerclub for probably no good reason but spend via BAEC. I actually don't know if you have to credit something to BAEC to use it but any Oneworld flights I've done go there anyway.
    Perfect thanks!

Yes, the charges & fees element on Avios.com is significantly more than you'll be charged by BAEC if you get an agent to issue the ticket (and waive the £30 telephone booking fee).

Wow, great to know. Thanks so much @Yamanoto !

And as you said, you should move the points over to BAEC before making the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

Do anyone have experience with the 4 upgrades with Concierge?

Are they given randomly or can you call AerClub after a booking is made and ask them to apply the upgrades to that booking? Can they also be used with Flights booked by Avios?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

shanemul wrote: »

Are they given randomly or can you call AerClub after a booking is made and ask them to apply the upgrades to that booking? Can they also be used with Flights booked by Avios?

You can call AerClub after the booking is made, if there is award space available you are confirmed automatically, if not they put you on the waitlist and you find out either in the days before the flight. And yes they can be used on Award bookings, they can also be combined with the Companion Ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

You can call AerClub after the booking is made, if there is award space available you are confirmed automatically, if not they put you on the waitlist and you find out either in the days before the flight. And yes they can be used on Award bookings, they can also be combined with the Companion Ticket.

My experience form talking to them is that they obviously want to sell the seats first. I called 2 months in advance & I cant believe the award spaces were gone for Jan 2018, but they certainly didn't confirm straightaway for me.

I finally got one leg confirmed after calling & am awaiting one for this coming Saturday - I've called back 5 weeks in a row for that one & they're still trying to sell the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

banchang wrote: »
    My experience form talking to them is that they obviously want to sell the seats first. I called 2 months in advance & I cant believe the award spaces were gone for Jan 2018, but they certainly didn't confirm straightaway for me.

I finally got one leg confirmed after calling & am awaiting one for this coming Saturday - I've called back 5 weeks in a row for that one & they're still trying to sell the seat.

You can see the award space if you look through Avios.ie, it's quite rare, and I would struggle even 6 months out let alone 2, people are making their award bookings many months in advance usually.

There are 2 confirmable seats per A330 and 1 per 757 and these are shared between award booking and complimentary upgrades, of course they want to sell the seats first, technically they're under no obligation to offer unsold seats as Platinum/Concierge upgrades, they just do it to keep people happy and get the vouchers used where they have the capacity. I also can't see the value in calling back every week, they'll only confirm in the days before the flight after the bid to upgrade offers have cleared and they know how many will be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

You can see the award space if you look through Avios.ie, it's quite rare, and I would struggle even 6 months out let alone 2, people are making their award bookings many months in advance usually.

There are 2 confirmable seats per A330 and 1 per 757 and these are shared between award booking and complimentary upgrades, of course they want to sell the seats first, technically they're under no obligation to offer unsold seats as Platinum/Concierge upgrades, they just do it to keep people happy and get the vouchers used where they have the capacity. I also can't see the value in calling back every week, they'll only confirm in the days before the flight after the bid to upgrade offers have cleared and they know how many will be free.[/QU

Helpful as I didn't know that.

Interesting though, as I got confirmation of one leg of the requested upgrade on 7 Dec for 9 Jan travel. Perhaps I got one of the 2 confirmable seats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

I got two upgrades two days in advance of the flight. I just call. That said the quality of the answer is variable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

micosoft wrote:
    I got two upgrades two days in advance of the flight. I just call. That said the quality of the answer is variable.

Complimentary or using points?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭notuslimited

shanemul wrote: »

Unless something has changed in the last month or so, I don’t think you can combine award bookings with upgrade vouchers. I tried and EI said it was a no no.

Advertisement