Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

ironclaw wrote: »
    That would be a United code share and a United plane. The United program is pretty good and has some decent perks. Its part of SA which is far more valuable that being part of EI.

Thanks for the reply.

It's certainly a codeshare but its actually aerlingus metal. The booking info says operated by aerlingus.

Would this have any impact? It's a one off trip, I have been going to the east coast regularly but would like to maintain my aerclub status.

Edit: realised I typo'd SFA instead of SFO in original post.

442057.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

PaulKK wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you earn tier credits and avios for the aer lingus sector if booking via United?

For example, book through United site from DUB to a US regional airport but United uses aerlingus to get you to SFA and then onwards with United?
    Hi - if our experience is anything to go by, you will get no tier points on EI, despite it being green metal, and Avios will appear at some stage in the future, timing unknown. My other half has done two trips like this in the last few months, one with United and one with Singapore.

I called AerClub about the Singapore one and was told no tier points would accrue as it was a 061 ticket, even though we checked in on EI website, used EI lounge and flew (return) to LHR on EI green plane. The Avios will only appear in the 'next phase' of Aerclub, date unknown. Same applies to the United flight that she took. I am due avios from a United TA flight on 4 Jan 2017, and a BA TA one in May 2017, still no sign, but apparently "they will be added in the next phase" blah blah. Utter sh!te.

By way of comparison, on my other half's Singapore flight, she had assigned her United FF number to the Singapore airlines legs, those points were credited to her United account within a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

This is interesting

Under GC you got full credit when on EI metal + EI code regardless of ticket issuer (I have a super rare LHR-DUB issued by BA on EI prime code and got the full 100 points as it was)

The AC rules say
    Tier Credits can only be earned for travel on eligible Sectors at eligible fares on either Aer Lingus flights or on eligible flights of certain Airline Partners and will be earned by a Member as set out on aerlingus.com, as updated from time to time. For current details on how to earn Tier Credits, see https://www.aerlingus.com/aerclub/using-aerclub/tiers-and-benefits/
    So no mention of the ticketing carrier

But https://www.aerlingus.com/aerclub/using-aerclub/tiers-and-benefits/#/tab-0-green
    You earn Tier Credits on Aer Lingus flights only. (Flights operated and ticketed by Aer Lingus)

Which is a major gotcha, now that in theory means you don't earn on EI Regional as they don't seem to be ticketed

Corner case here is do I earn on the BA flights EI are operating if they ticket them?

Thanks, it looks as though it's not going to credit me then.

Other option would be to book the flights separately but it's a risk and I would need to recheck the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

I’ve flown DUB-LHR on EI then LHR-IAH-MCO on UA (and reverse). I credited EI flights to AerClub and UA flights to TK. I got tier points and avios for th EI flights. (Although barely any)

ETA this was on United 016 stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

I’ve flown DUB-LHR on EI then LHR-IAH-MCO on UA (and reverse). I credited EI flights to AerClub and UA flights to TK. I got tier points and avios for th EI flights. (Although barely any)

ETA this was on United 016 stock
    That's curious - everything that i have seen since Aerclub started points towards no Tier Points (and effectively no Avios as they are not crediting yet for airline partners) for anything other than an EI ticket number combined with an EI plane. My wife flew to the US in May 17 with BA, and an EI connection return to LHR, on a BA 125 ticket. No Tier Points and of course no Avios for any of those legs. 

And as i said a few posts above, a similar situation on a Singapore issued 061 ticket through LHR with EI a few weeks back. And Aerclub did confirm that this was correct over the phone.

Edited: Actually just noticed a slight difference in my quoted BA & Singapore trips. The BA trip was a BA ticket (125), with a BA flight number (BA5966), but on an EI plane. The Singapore one was an SQ ticket (061) but an EI flight number and EI plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Squedward

Has anyone had trouble getting their real rewards posted to avios, I transferred 2,300 RR in December...still waiting, support taking ages. Also flew Aer Lingus back in January and put in my Aerclub no. but no luck, Is it better to claim missing points to BA or Aer Lingus? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,534 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My experience is they either transfer within a day or go missing entirely needing support and repeatedly moaning on twitter...

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

Squedward wrote: »
    Has anyone had trouble getting their real rewards posted to avios, I transferred 2,300 RR in December...still waiting, support taking ages.
    If Supervalu and AerClub can't fix it, email the details to customeraccounts@avios.com. They are good at sorting issues, but it will take at least 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Squedward

Thanks, I'm currently waiting on Avios customer care so hopefully they fix it.
    Also, does BAEC (by phone) offer part avios part cash like the avios site for Dublin to US flight, and does anyone know what taxes are like one way.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

You have to wonder why Aer Lingus even bother with this loyalty scheme...:confused:

Surely they’d be better off having no loyalty scheme at all instead of one that just pisses off their most frequent customers....? :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You have to wonder why Aer Lingus even bother with this loyalty scheme...:confused:

Surely they’d be better off having no loyalty scheme at all instead of one that just pisses off their most frequent customers....? :confused:

I’d guess they’d have to have some form of a FF program while initially under the IAG banner, as to go from GC to nothing might have affected the numbers too much! I.e. falling off a cliff edge.

At least with AerClub being such a debacle it will drive the regulars away naturally, so eventually when IAG does can AerClub, it won’t affect the numbers too much as there’ll have been a natural decline over the few years it was operational!!

Squedward wrote: »
    Has anyone had trouble getting their real rewards posted to avios

Mine go through the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Got this email from Aer Club yesterday. 500 bonus points up for offer.
    "To say thank you for converting your SuperValu Real Rewards points into Avios last year, we’re giving you 250 Bonus Avios as a gift. This will be automatically awarded to your account by 21 February 2018.
    That’s not all. You’ll also get another 250 Bonus Avios when you convert at least 100 Real Rewards points into Avios* before 21 February 2018. So you can bring your next getaway even closer.
    This 250 was not credited to my account
    I did convert 100 RR to avios and got that 250.

Anyone else credited?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

zell12 wrote: »
    This 250 was not credited to my account
    I did convert 100 RR to avios and got that 250.

Anyone else credited?

I got the 250 thank you points. I assume the other 250 will follow at a later date.

Of note I also got a 500 estore bonus points on the 22nd February.

Thank You and EStore both came through for me but also no 250 for the conversion, yet. Now, I'm missing about 650 from an EStore transaction but I suspect using a discount coupon afterwards killed the referral so the 500 there means I'll leave it alone rather than try fighting it.

Assuming a 3x turns up for SV next time I should be throwing another 6000 over then - must actually check what I can get for 17000 that isn't a few packs of sweets on a BA flight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

L1011 wrote: »
    Thank You and EStore both came through for me but also no 250 for the conversion, yet. Now, I'm missing about 650 from an EStore transaction but I suspect using a discount coupon afterwards killed the referral so the 500 there means I'll leave it alone rather than try fighting it.

Assuming a 3x turns up for SV next time I should be throwing another 6000 over then - must actually check what I can get for 17000 that isn't a few packs of sweets on a BA flight!

I'm hoarding my SV points as well for a 3x conversion offer. Depending on when this actually happens it should be 4000 to 5000 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I got the 250 thank you points. I assume the other 250 will follow at a later date.

Of note I also got a 500 estore bonus points on the 22nd February.

I received the same on 21st - straight into my Avios account - I was expecting them into SV Rewards account - guess that would have been too much to ask when I hoped to triple them too at next offer date...

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Tom123

I am waiting on my concierge card to arrive for 2 months now. Does anyone have the contact details as I can't find them on the website anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

Same for me! Waiting on my Concierge Card since Jan 28th!

• Advertisement

The SV offer this time seems to be double points only.

Still end up making vastly more (could be 10x this year) Avios via other means than flying. Would be nice if they had an ability to get status that way as many schemes with financial partners do. They are making money for every Avios that Supervalu / eStores kickbacks buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The SV offer this time seems to be double points only.

Still end up making vastly more (could be 10x this year) Avios via other means than flying. Would be nice if they had an ability to get status that way as many schemes with financial partners do. They are making money for every Avios that Supervalu / eStores kickbacks buy.

I know some partners, Marriot for example, it's known when you book or check in as to how you got your status and it can impact the service you get e.g. I am platinum with Marriot and have got upgrades etc before others who are platinum via a credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Rock of Gibraltar

More details here:

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/03/chase-launching-aer-lingus-card/
    hase just announced a new co-branded credit card, the Iberia Visa Signature Card — which comes with a 75,000-point sign-up bonus and earns up to 3 Avios per dollar. In the same press release was the announcement of another upcoming card, the Aer Lingus Visa Signature Card. Details so far are slim but we know the card will be launching this spring.

Both Aer Lingus and Iberia became Chase Ultimate Rewards transfer partners late last year. It’s possible to transfer Aer Lingus Avios to the British Airways Executive Club program and to Iberia’s program.

Aer Lingus uses the same award chart as British Airways and since you can transfer between all of the Avios programs, you should be able to take advantage of the best redemptions in each one, like 25,500 Iberia Avios for a one-way business-class flight to Europe with Iberia or booking American Airlines domestic flights.

There are some pretty great sweet spots in the Aer Lingus and British Airways Avios programs, such as flights from the US to Ireland for just 26,000 Avios round-trip in economy. If you’re trying to fly business you’ll have to pay 50,000 for a one-way flight on off-peak dates from the East Coast, but you’ll be avoiding the notoriously high British Airways Avios taxes and fees you’ll pay when flying through London.

These are the details we know so far about the card:

Sign-Up Bonus: Unlike with the Iberia card, it’s unclear what the sign-up bonus for this product will be. We reached out to Chase for comment but the issuer couldn’t share any details at this time. It’s possible the bonus will be the same as both the British Airways Visa Signature and Iberia cards. Each card is offering 50,000 bonus Avios for making $3,000 in purchases within 3 months of account opening and another 25,000 bonus Avios for making an additional $7,000 in purchases (for a total of $10,000) within 12 months of account opening.

Earning From Spending: Cardholders will earn 3 Avios for each dollar spent on “Aer Lingus, Iberia, British Airways, LEVEL and OpenSkies purchases.” All other purchases will earn 1x Avios.

Companion Ticket: The release says the cardmember will earn a “ticket for a companion when a ticket is purchased in economy class, after $30,000 spend in a calendar year.” Judging on that language it will be a voucher for a companion ticket on paid fares and not award tickets like the British Airways companion voucher. You’ll be restricted to economy class and it’ll likely only work when flying on Aer Lingus aircraft — similar to how the companion fares work on British Airways’ and Iberia’s card.

10% Off Flights: There was no mention of 10% off Aer Lingus flights — which is a feature of both the British Airways and Iberia card for their respective airlines.

Annual Fee: $95 per year. It’s unclear if it will be waived for the first cardmember year or not.

The card will also offer the following benefits:

Priority boarding on flights to and from the US
    No foreign transaction fees
    Auto rental collision damage waiver
    Lost luggage reimbursement
    Purchase protection
    Will this card be subject to Chase’s 5/24 rule? Although we aren’t certain, it probably won’t be. The British Airways Visa isn’t covered by the rule and TPG‘s JT Genter was able to get approved for the Iberia Visa yesterday despite being far over 5/24.

The information for the Aer Lingus Visa Signature Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on the page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Does it strike anyone else as a little odd that Aer Lingus, an Irish airline, has a US based credit card now, when there is nothing at all like that available in Ireland, or is this a fairly standard thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There appears to be some issues in the Irish market, after all do you want someone to spend X on a card to get something in return?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Does it strike anyone else as a little odd that Aer Lingus, an Irish airline, has a US based credit card now, when there is nothing at all like that available in Ireland, or is this a fairly standard thing?

Oh what I wouldn’t do for a good airline/hotel affiliated credit card in Ireland. Would be a points bonanza!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I believe its to do with our benefits in kind taxation system. I could be wholly wrong however.

ironclaw wrote: »
    I believe its to do with our benefits in kind taxation system. I could be wholly wrong however.

Would be part of it - loyalty points on thing paid for by employers should incur BIK - but there's plenty of people with high personal or self-employed credit card spend. I run four figures a month through my card (never actually incurring interest costs) for instance and none of it is expenses.

If BIK was being fully enforced there we'd have no airline loyalty schemes for Irish residents at all as many status-holders are entirely employer funded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Yeah, if there was a status/miles credit card available here I’d sign up for it in a heartbeat. Amex was available here at one stage but no longer it seems.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Rock of Gibraltar

Would be part of it - loyalty points on thing paid for by employers should incur BIK - but there's plenty of people with high personal or self-employed credit card spend. I run four figures a month through my card (never actually incurring interest costs) for instance and none of it is expenses.

If BIK was being fully enforced there we'd have no airline loyalty schemes for Irish residents at all as many status-holders are entirely employer funded

Air miles aren't subject to benefit in kind taxation:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/benefit-in-kind-for-employers/travel-passes-and-air-miles/index.aspx

Advertisement