Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Hmm. Interesting. I tried to get an LH MasterCard with a German address. No go at the time and that was a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Squedward

Does anyone know an email address for Aer Club in relation to missing avios and tier points, sent off the form weeks ago and have got nothing back. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,447 ✭✭✭✭cson

Does it strike anyone else as a little odd that Aer Lingus, an Irish airline, has a US based credit card now, when there is nothing at all like that available in Ireland, or is this a fairly standard thing?
    This isn't targeted at Irish consumers; it's for the US market.
    Credit Card affiliations/sign up bonuses are a big thing in the States, you can make it pay big time if you're into the churning game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭trellheim

Does anyone know an email address for Aer Club in relation to missing avios and tier points, sent off the form weeks ago and have got nothing back. Thanks

7 months now and still an absolute bunch of missing flights filled in that form many a time , you're wasting your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,531 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unexplained 250 points bonus for converting Supervalu vouchers last week. This isn't the 250 for having converted at all which came through a month or two ago.

I've now got a fairly substantial amount - what's the best value for redemption to the US? Presumably still transfer to BAEC, book by phone and ask for the booking fee to be waived?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Noxegon wrote: »
    Yeah, if there was a status/miles credit card available here I’d sign up for it in a heartbeat. Amex was available here at one stage but no longer it seems.
    There used to be Aer Lingus cards issued by AIB. I think there was a silver and gold tier. Gold was €254, previously IR£200, and gave lounge access for cardholder plus one guest on an EI flight. There were Gold Circle points for all spend and additional GC points for buying flights or anything else with Aer Lingus such as on board duty free.

It was designed with business in mind but could be taken on a personal basis.

I used to work at AIB, in case you didn't guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

L1011 wrote: »
    I've now got a fairly substantial amount - what's the best value for redemption to the US? Presumably still transfer to BAEC, book by phone and ask for the booking fee to be waived?

That's it alright.

52k miles (booked as above) + €200 fees got the 2 of us from DUB-JFK return on EI earlier this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Yamanoto wrote: »
    That's it alright.

52k miles (booked as above) + €200 fees got the 2 of us from DUB-JFK return on EI earlier this month.

ooh. Interesting. Can Concierge vouchers be used on a redemption flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Yamanoto wrote: »
    That's it alright.

Anyone any idea on Europe redemptions? Looking at flights that are quite expensive but have reward availability and don't require many points. Better off booking via BA or EI?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭NewApproach

What's the story with Tier credits when you upgrade to business using the hidden auction thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Rock of Gibraltar

What's the story with Tier credits when you upgrade to business using the hidden auction thing?

You'll receive the same amount of tier credits you were due to receive on your original booking.
    So 50 if it was a regular 'smart' fare, 25 if it was a promotional 'smart' fare or 15 if it was a saver fare.

Original fare points apply. Every airline is the same but I feel you should receive perhaps the max economy points as you're going to splash out at least 350EUR+ to move up on a transatlantic fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not the case unfortunately. I've done it before and only got the "promotional fare" credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

Does anyone have the number for the concierge line for AerClub can't seem to find the email with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Only really started using avios recently.

Had 8000 for ages I hadnt used. Got last minute return flights to london. Thought they were great.

Booked my entire honeymoon using hotels/sites with avios offers. Should have a significant amount, but now thinking ill have to wait 3 or 4 months for them to turn up. Annoying when you habe no idea when to even start looking for flights.

So I FB messaged Aer Lingus about my missing points from a return flight in January, they gave me a ticket number and then the online form worked (got credited next day) however this was only the outbound leg (Dublin to Lyon plus fare) still waiting on the inbound flight to show but i received 466 Avios, not sure how they got to that figure but I'm not complaining. Anyway sorry the ramble but it might be worth using messenger if no luck. Also does anyone know, if tier points don't matter is it better to credit to BA or Aer Lingus or doesn't it matter in terms of Avios.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Just joined up and have enough flights booked to probably make it to Silver. First flight to gain tier points was Sunday. I'm eagerly refreshing and waiting for those points to show.... expecting a fight to get them though....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I found the system quite smooth for the first couple of hundred tier credits and then weird **** starts happening when you reach the tier boundary. Last year I was 7.5 points away from Silver when they brought my anniversary date forward to the date of my return flight meaning I lost all my credits before I could be bumped up a tier, even though having the anniversary brought forward meant I should have gotten extra points for flights booked between a year before my new anniversary date and my old anniversary date. I kicked up a huge stink on Facebook and Twitter and eventually got the Silver upgrade so not too bad.

This year again everything was going smoothly until I booked a flight that I'm going to fly on in May that gives me enough points to stay on Silver for next year and they changed my anniversary date again so I lost tier credits from flights take in November and I'll still be under the threshold in May unless I book another flight with them. Kicked up a stink and just get the generic "we can send you a credits statement" reply with no answer to why they changed my anniversary date again. Funnily enough my Silver tier expiry still shows the old date so not like I'll be getting an extra couple of months of Silver tier as a result.

Was planning to try to get to Platinum (would have enough credits if they credited all my flights properly) but I reckon I'm going to book just enough to keep the Silver tier then fly American Airlines / Delta / United for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Squedward wrote:
    So I FB messaged Aer Lingus about my missing points from a return flight in January, they gave me a ticket number and then the online form worked (got credited next day) however this was only the outbound leg (Dublin to Lyon plus fare) still waiting on the inbound flight to show but i received 466 Avios, not sure how they got to that figure but I'm not complaining. Anyway sorry the ramble but it might be worth using messenger if no luck. Also does anyone know, if tier points don't matter is it better to credit to BA or Aer Lingus or doesn't it matter in terms of Avios.

I was told by their twitter that a flights out of Dublin will credit wiithin a few days, but flights "from european outstations" take a few weeks.

Got the return leg this morning after imputing last night so maybe using the ticket number is the only way it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Ticket number tends to work very well

1. Wait at least 4 weeks after travel
    2. Use the ticket number option
    3. Make sure it says it is saved

Put three flights in Tuesday evening, all three credited by Thursday morning. I can't fault that, I can fault it not working automatically

• Registered Users Posts: 10 regula1

Hi, does anyone know if you can get a statement or see online what tier points were credited for what flights? I can't seem to find it anywhere except for a "Total Tier Points" on the overview / my aerclub page :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I find it a lot easier to keep track of my tier credits and Avios since I stopped using them on a regular basis. Went from two flights a week to a couple every now and again. I still use them but I just don't go out of my way to use them. Not exactly the sort of relationship a loyalty scheme is supposed to promote but it seems to work for both of us, I don't have to go chasing them for my missing credits, they don't have to go looking for them for me, so it's win win.
    In other news my Miles & More points collection is coming along quite nicely now and I never have to chase those up...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I find it a lot easier to keep track of my tier credits and Avios since I stopped using them on a regular basis. Went from two flights a week to a couple every now and again. I still use them but I just don't go out of my way to use them. Not exactly the sort of relationship a loyalty scheme is supposed to promote but it seems to work for both of us, I don't have to go chasing them for my missing credits, they don't have to go looking for them for me, so it's win win.
    In other news my Miles & More points collection is coming along quite nicely now and I never have to chase those up...

Ha same experience since I switched to BA. Not a single flight has had to be chased up. Re-qualified gold for this year already and my year isn't up to August.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Same experience for me. I actually moved to Lufthansa about 1 year ago for my regular flights because I got sick of chasing my points.

M&M points have literally never missed a beat, even with partner airlines. As a bonus the lounge is much better for the areas I travel.

The Aer Lingus loyalty scheme is so bad it actually made me disloyal, not even a value for money thing just a 'this is way too much effort'. Funny how the BA app actually functions well and never misses issuing avios and yet the EI app which feels very similar barely functions at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

Question on advance seat selection for an Avios booking....

So i have an Avios booking for flights in July to Europe, and i wanted to grab some seats in advance. I know that Avios booking include a checked bag @ 20kg, and i understood seat selection too. However, when i go to Manage My Booking on EI website, it tells me to contact the agent as it wasn't made on EI etc. Now i get this with i book with our corporate travel system concur, but surely something on Avios.com should work ?

Can i call them and get the seats assigned ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

mx5ire wrote: »
    Question on advance seat selection for an Avios booking....

So i have an Avios booking for flights in July to Europe, and i wanted to grab some seats in advance. I know that Avios booking include a checked bag @ 20kg, and i understood seat selection too. However, when i go to Manage My Booking on EI website, it tells me to contact the agent as it wasn't made on EI etc. Now i get this with i book with our corporate travel system concur, but surely something on Avios.com should work ?

Can i call them and get the seats assigned ?

I submitted an online query via a form and was allocated a seat. The free seat is for the non premium seats (not exit or first few rows) or so I was told

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

jive wrote: »

Same experience for me. I actually moved to Lufthansa about 1 year ago for my regular flights because I got sick of chasing my points.

M&M points have literally never missed a beat, even with partner airlines. As a bonus the lounge is much better for the areas I travel.

The Aer Lingus loyalty scheme is so bad it actually made me disloyal, not even a value for money thing just a 'this is way too much effort'. Funny how the BA app actually functions well and never misses issuing avios and yet the EI app which feels very similar barely functions at all.

It actually discourages loyalty if you're a frequent flyer who wants their loyalty acknowledged. I just got so frustrated when I found myself drawn into a never ending cycle of submitting claims for missing points, sending follow up emails and being ignored.
    The final straw for me was when they reset all my points to zero before I'd been correctly credited with the missing points, I was with a few points of a tier upgrade when they cancelled them overnight. They shouldn't be allowed to reset your points until they have absolutely confirmed the total is correct. The current system doesn't encourage them to administer it properly, they know they don't have to go to the bother of chasing up your points if they're going to reset them to zero at the end of November anyway, all they have to do is string you along until then. Once they did that I switched brands. I still use them occasionally and I still chase them up for the points but only when I'm bored.
    I really can't see how they get it so wrong, every other loyalty scheme I'm a member of just works, I never have to chase them. Turkish M&S often sends me an email just after I've landed to tell me they've credited my points...

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

As many have said, AerClub is farcical and amateur beyond belief. I abandoned for BA Avios some while ago and am very satisfied with the programme.

I do not feel EI appreciate loyalty. Numerous examples of indifference drove me and many others away.

• Advertisement

As many have said, AerClub is farcical and amateur beyond belief. I abandoned for BA Avios some while ago and am very satisfied with the programme.

I do not feel EI appreciate loyalty. Numerous examples of indifference drove me and many others away.

The whole airline, in terms of loyalty, is broken. On Lufthansa, I have countless examples of staff going the extra mile, with or without knowledge of my status. I've been upgraded a few times, without asking. I've flown legs on EI with a nigh-empty business class section countless times. It beggars belief why they can't either a) Upgrade frequent flyers or b) offer an upgrade to frequent fliers on the day (Points or Cash for example)

And thats before missing a rake of points for every flight I've taken :rolleyes:

This was the straw for me personally: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057824522

Advertisement