Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭tnegun

I work in IT and can't understand how this system can be so messed up. So I got the tier and avios points for the return leg of my trip but not the outbound??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

tnegun wrote: »
    I work in IT and can't understand how this system can be so messed up. So I got the tier and avios points for the return leg of my trip but not the outbound??

Aer Lingus use an in house, pioneering but comically dated booking system (Astral) and the airport where it usually works from use it or something that sits on top of it directly for checkin; the others don't. As clearly the interface from the checkin systems elsewhere doesn't actually let Astral know you've taken the flight

They could just credit flights booked instead and let the odd mileage-runner pay them the money and not actually waste the fuel by doing the actual mileage-run. Far easier. Too sensible.

Should of said my colleague flew on the same booking and got his points for both legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

L1011 wrote: »
    Aer Lingus use an in house, pioneering but comically dated booking system (Astral) and the airport where it usually works from use it or something that sits on top of it directly for checkin; the others don't. As clearly the interface from the checkin systems elsewhere doesn't actually let Astral know you've taken the flight

They could just credit flights booked instead and let the odd mileage-runner pay them the money and not actually waste the fuel by doing the actual mileage-run. Far easier. Too sensible.

Aer Lingus can’t administer the system properly because they choose to use an outdated computer system that isn’t up to the task. That’s a problem, but it’s a problem of their own making, it shouldn’t be our problem, we shouldn’t have to do any of the running to get the problem addressed.
    Until Aer Lingus choose to address this problem they should automatically credit the tier points and Avios for all flight sectors when you check in for the first flight. It’s not going to cost them anything extra, they’ve been paid for the ticket, they’re going to have to give them to you anyway when you fly, you’re entitled to them because it’s part of the T&Cs when you joined AerClub and decided to fly with them.
    To be honest I don’t understand how they can’t admins it properly, it’s not rocket science but they clearly can’t. Until they can run it properly it should be set that the passenger gains by default, not them.
    The simplest solution would be to link this to the check in event, once you check you are automatically credited with everything associated to the ticket. Who knows, they might end up with a frequent flyer program that actually encourages repeat business instead of the current model that is so frustrating it actually drives FFs into the arms of their competitors. There are plenty of airlines out there with FFPs that work as advertised, it’s not like we don’t have a choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Astral works fine, it doesn't crash or go nuts like BA's new system FLY, the system BA was using before FLY was guess what a different version of Astral as far as I know KLM still use something similar to Astral as well. The problem is as Astral has gone from being in global use to just EI there are few airports globally which are Astral equipped so a second offline check in system is used

The FF issue comes down to a whole stack of issues
    Name on the booking has to match EXACTLY with the Aer Club registration or else it won't work (I've seen this catch people out)
    It has to be ticketed as 053 (yup flights sold by BA on EI codes do not work as they did in GC, T&C's say EI ticketed for AC)
    It has to be a EI operated flight and ticketed as EI flight number (again AC rules)

If flying to from IE to all destinations it should work, UK-IE, NL-IE, CA/US-IE it should work perfectly, I've never had to claim points in these cases, multiple people on same reservations etc again fine.

The issue is EU-IE flights that doesn't work and there is a question over regional flights as they don't seem to generate a 053 ticket

• Advertisement

Astral works fine, it doesn't crash or go nuts like BA's new system FLY, the system BA was using before FLY was guess what a different version of Astral as far as I know KLM still use something similar to Astral as well. The problem is as Astral has gone from being in global use to just EI there are few airports globally which are Astral equipped so a second offline check in system is used

Name on the booking has to match EXACTLY with the Aer Club registration or else it won't work (I've seen this catch people out)
    It has to be ticketed as 053 (yup flights sold by BA on EI codes do not work as they did in GC, T&C's say EI ticketed for AC)
    It has to be a EI operated flight and ticketed as EI flight number (again AC rules)

If flying to from IE to all destinations it should work, UK-IE, NL-IE, CA/US-IE it should work perfectly, I've never had to claim points in these cases, multiple people on same reservations etc again fine.

The issue is EU-IE flights that doesn't work and there is a question over regional flights as they don't seem to generate a 053 ticket

Yeah, sounds like a lot of hard work trying to sort that lot out.
    A lot easier to just stick with the broken model they have now, sure they all reset to zero in September anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You shouldn't have to, out of 37 EI flights last year to 15 countries(including US/Canada) I only had to claim Tier Points twice, once for Berlin to Dublin, the other for Paris to Dublin. Some people seem more unlucky however and have to claim most flights manually.

I do CDG-DUB a couple of times a month, and I honestly can't recall the last time that they actually credited the flight automatically

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Sounds like a really poorly scoped piece of development to be honest. Surely they could be falling back to a secondary matching by email or passport number if the initial match failed? Boggles the mind that in this day and age it has to be manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

blackwhite wrote: »
    You shouldn't have to, out of 37 EI flights last year to 15 countries(including US/Canada) I only had to claim Tier Points twice, once for Berlin to Dublin, the other for Paris to Dublin. Some people seem more unlucky however and have to claim most flights manually.

I do CDG-DUB a couple of times a month, and I honestly can't recall the last time that they actually credited the flight automatically
    Just book via BA, it’s codeshare so it’ll be the same flight but you’ll get the points

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

do they credit you the tier points if you book and pay for a flight, but don't physically board it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I flew to Southampton yesterday with Flybe, and when checking out, I had the option to reduce my fare by £56.32 by spending 9,000 Avios!!

I've finally gotten something from AerClub!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    do they credit you the tier points if you book and pay for a flight, but don't physically board it?

no, you must fly to get the Tier Credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

really that should read "you must fly to stand any chance of your Tier Credits potentially appearing after much prayer and many missing flights forms" 
    Excuse the sarcasm, still waiting on on a Dub-LHR return from end of June to be credited, missing flights thing filled in a few days ago. My US based ones generally do appear, its normally Euro ones that are the issue.

And a lot more besides...

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

And a lot more besides...

in fairness to them I logged a missing flight yesterday afternoon after this post, and it's been credited this morning. Still should be there in the first place mind.

The office handles all my bookings so its a bit of a black hole information wise. Anyone know can I tell retrospectively if they were plus or advantage bookings? My tier points seem to be different for outbound and return legs of all US flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Still should be there in the first place mind.

Indeed. Does anyone know the technical reason why they are so absolutely shyte about getting this fundamental part of the system correct ? Is it an IT issue, or are they all done manually, and they are just understaffed or incompetent at doing it.
    I cant think of an other service that doesnt work properly so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

Are they introducing a Business class service next year with the a321LR doing european flights too? I think that's what was said by the management on this video (at 10.50min) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL3uDoUJcv4&t=675s
    Would I get more Avios points if I use this Business class product on the european network or would this be considered the same as the Advantage fare?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Rock of Gibraltar

Kcormahs wrote: »
    Are they introducing a Business class service next year with the a321LR doing european flights too? I think that's what was said by the management on this video (at 10.50min)
    Would I get more Avios points if I use this Business class product on the european network or would this be considered the same as the Advantage fare?

What video is this?

It would be great if Aer Lingus offered more options on European flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It has been under discussion for ages. Its likely but not guaranteed that any eurobiz fare would have higher tier points; avios themselves are linked to fare price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

What video is this?

It would be great if Aer Lingus offered more options on European flights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL3uDoUJcv4&t=675s

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Anyone know if you purchase a flight using points, can you log into your booking on EI.com and add checked baggage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Anyone know if you purchase a flight using points, can you log into your booking on EI.com and add checked baggage?

Don't avios fares include a checked bag?

Yes they do

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Thanks, I thaught they did but the T&Cs were not clear and just referred to the carriers rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Hi there

I searched but couldn’t find anything on this.

My wife and I have set up Aer club avios accounts. So I can enter our own numbers when booking flights. But what can I do to collect miles for my 2 year old? Do I just enter my own number for him too?

Thanks

2.1 Individuals who are 18 years of age or over may apply for membership.

Membership numbers are solely for the use of the named member

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Membership numbers are solely for the use of the named member

Thanks. I know he can’t have his own account but thought I could claim the miles on my account as I am booking. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mister Burns

Looking for help/advice

I have just reached Platinum Status so am entitled to a complimentary upgrade. I have a flight to New York booked with my wife in September. I can either use my complimentary upgrade to upgrade myself and Avios to upgrade my wife or I can use Avios to upgrade both of us. I asked AerClub about my upgrade and reward seats are done so they have to check with head office and come back to me. Am I better off waiting to hear back from them on mine and just look to upgrade my wife or should I look to upgrade both of us by Avios

Thanks for any advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Looking for help/advice

I have just reached Platinum Status so am entitled to a complimentary upgrade. I have a flight to New York booked with my wife in September. I can either use my complimentary upgrade to upgrade myself and Avios to upgrade my wife or I can use Avios to upgrade both of us. I asked AerClub about my upgrade and reward seats are done so they have to check with head office and come back to me. Am I better off waiting to hear back from them on mine and just look to upgrade my wife or should I look to upgrade both of us by Avios

Thanks for any advice

Be prepared to wait to literally 24 hours before the flight.

Advertisement