Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    do they credit you the tier points if you book and pay for a flight, but don't physically board it?

They usually don't even if you fly, so no chance if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You have to fly to earn

That said if you check in, don't show up and are flying out of a non astral airport I very much doubt they could work it out later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Be prepared to wait to literally 24 hours before the flight.

This. Or at the airport. And if you don't get your upgrade you will literally get the worst seat on the flight... because they won't hold a decent seat as they process your upgrade...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

micosoft wrote: »
    This. Or at the airport. And if you don't get your upgrade you will literally get the worst seat on the flight... because they won't hold a decent seat as they process your upgrade...

I’ll normally pay for a seat before requesting the upgrade.
    If I don’t get the upgrade it means I haven’t missed out - whereas if I get the upgrade I don’t mind having paid €50 max for the peace of mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

blackwhite wrote: »
    I’ll normally pay for a seat before requesting the upgrade.
    If I don’t get the upgrade it means I haven’t missed out - whereas if I get the upgrade I don’t mind having paid €50 max for the peace of mind!

Agreed. I've learnt my lesson! Interesting it was the Aerclub concierge line that talked me out of booking a seat and meal saying the upgrade was certain.

My current gripe is that any any Save flight is now almost automatically 7.5 and not 15 tier points or 25 instead of 50 on transatlantic. Only noticed that when I realized I was only getting half points for all my flights. You must book Plus flights in order to guarantee your tier points....

I am as tetchy with AerClub as this guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mister Burns

micosoft wrote: »

So is it safer/quicker to get upgraded by Avios? Or is it the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

So is it safer/quicker to get upgraded by Avios? Or is it the same?

Are you sure that you can actually upgrade with Avios? I know that couldn't circa 12 months ago.

Are you sure that you can actually upgrade with Avios? I know that couldn't circa 12 months ago.

They have told me that I can

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They have told me that I can

They told a lot of people a lot of things over the last 18 months, but very little of it was accurate or true!!

I was told using Avios to upgrade was a no no.

They told a lot of people a lot of things over the last 18 months, but very little of it was accurate or true!!

Damn. What good are they then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Rock of Gibraltar

It has been possible for a few months now.
    Avios required for an upgrade (one way):
    To and from Ireland and North America Off-Peak Peak
    Boston / Chicago / Hartford / Newark / New York / Philadelphia / Toronto / Washington 37,000 44,750
    Los Angeles / Miami / Orlando / San Francisco / Seattle 46,250 55,000

https://www.aerlingus.com/aerclub/using-aerclub/spending-avios/#/tab-1-upgrades-to-business-class

That's what I was quoted alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭tnegun

Am I imagining it or did Silver tier members get offered a single complimentary upgrade recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Damn. What good are they then?

Transferring to the BA Executive Club.

A new one from AerClub for me this week.

Managed to credit my tier points for a flight on Monday, but no sign of the Avios.

I’m sure if I report them as missing they’ll see the tier credits and ignore the Avios

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭crisco10

tnegun wrote: »
    Am I imagining it or did Silver tier members get offered a single complimentary upgrade recently?

I got offered 1 free guest into the lounge....is that what you are thinking of?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

crisco10 wrote: »
    I got offered 1 free guest into the lounge....is that what you are thinking of?

I was offered that as well, but as a Concierge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I was offered that as well, but as a Concierge

And I got this as platinum

Yeah I think you're right I tought I read one free somewhere but that appears to be for Platinum and Concierge only

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭mmc272

Anybody able to locate any Business Class Seats from Dublin to Boston with Avios? I’ve put in multiple dates right up until they are on sale for next year and can’t locate any. Can only find economy.

I’ve been collecting Avios for a couple years and it a bit disappointing that I can’t book a business class flight with them points now that I’ve finally got enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Availability in business is very low generally only 1 sometimes 2 seats. They tend to go quickly

You might need to book the economy then request it here aerclubupgrade@aerlingus.com. Email them first and ask, I've emailed them at that address for other queries and they have gotten back to me within a day or two more than I can say for any other Aerlingus email address i've used!

tnegun wrote: »
    You might need to book the economy then request it here aerclubupgrade@aerlingus.com. Email them first and ask, I've emailed them at that address for other queries and they have gotten back to me within a day or two more than I can say for any other Aerlingus email address i've used!

To be fair to EI - last time I requested to purchase an upgrade using that email address it was all sorted within 48 hours (about 3 months before the flight!)

Anyone know when bidding for an upgrade closes for a flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Though I haven't flown with them out of protest since last December I have a free flight/upgrade (whatever it is, can't remember exactly) on my Platinum Mebership that I must use by November 27th.

Any suggestions for a short trip? :) I'm open to most US cities....or anything left of centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Chicago, it's my kinda town...

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

Though I haven't flown with them out of protest since last December I have a free flight/upgrade (whatever it is, can't remember exactly) on my Platinum Mebership that I must use by November 27th.

Any suggestions for a short trip? :) I'm open to most US cities....or anything left of centre.
    Agree on Chicago comment above- great city. Wouldn't go later than mid Oct though, getting very chilly then. Always a fan of NYC city too, never short of stuff to do, been twice this year on business and just love pounding the streets there when i get a few mins to myself.

But to maximise the business class experience, LA, San Fran or maybe even Seattle. Problem is that unless you use Avios for the other leg, then its a long flight in Economy....Also, if i had to choose 1 leg only to have as business, i would always chose the outbound daytime flight. No rushed or shortened night time service. And why use the upgrade to sleep through it.

Just to highlight how messed up AerClub is I was missing Avios points from 2017 but didn't matter how many times I claimed them or what I said the response was that I had been allocated them. I eventually emailed aerclubupgrade@aerlingus.com this morning and they forwared me a statement that showed everything was correct but completely at odds to my Aerclub statement! I forwarded screenshots of my Aerclub statement and they immediately acknowledged I was missing points and have instructed Avios to manually credit them!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

I've gotten all my missing tier credits now on the account. Only 100 away to the next level and 6 flights booked for the rest of the year, shall be tight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Anyone else not able to login over the past few days?

Advertisement