Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Is there a separate queue going through U.S. Border checks at DUB for business class passengers? If so, how does it usually be time wise? or is it just not an issue? Will be going through after lunch.

I'm also thinking to not bother with the AL lounge, and just go through to the 51st & Green? I know the AL lounge is crap, but is 51st any better? (apart from the views) (It's my first TATL in about 7 years, so haven't been to 51st yet.)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Is there a separate queue going through U.S. Border checks at DUB for business class passengers? If so, how does it usually be time wise? or is it just not an issue? Will be going through after lunch.

Not really. There's a faster security queue for business class passengers but then everyone has to join the same queue for the immigration questions. I generally try to arrive at the airport 3 hours before my flight time. Not sure what it's like at lunch time, I generally get the 10:50am flight. When I get there early it's fine, I usually sail through with very little delays. But arrive at the wrong time when a lot of people arrive at once and the queues can be manic.

I'm also thinking to not bother with the AL lounge, and just go through to the 51st & Green? I know the AL lounge is crap, but is 51st any better? (apart from the views) (It's my first TATL in about 7 years, so haven't been to 51st yet.)

Yes it's much better. The cappuccino from the barista there is one of the best I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RMDrive

I've gone through on the 15th, joining the US pre-clearance queue at approximately 11.00, and on the 8th joining the queue at approximately 10.00. In both cases it took me over 1 hour to get through and I had to walk straight onto the plane when I made it. The internal infrastructure can no longer cope with the amount of flights scheduled.

It tends to be somewhat better in the afternoon but I'd definitely give yourself extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

Ii was through twice in Aug/Sept and it was very slow, certainly much slower than when they had the automated machines working. You still had to join a queue, but overall it was quicker than now. As Stark says above, you have a business queue but only for the security (take off your shoes) bit, and then its the main queue with everyone else. I was going on EI 123 to Chicago and then EI 101 to Newark, and barely had time for the lounge after i got through. 

My wife was through for EI 123 two weeks ago and she also said that it was mental down there. And she got 'randomly' selected for extra security as well downstairs, so lost another 20 mins while her carry on was forensically searched. She said that they pulled a number of people from the Business queue. 

On the lounges, i wouldnt bother with the EI one, US customs etc is now too slow to risk. Just do 51st after customs. Its safer. Personally i dont like that lounge, my arrival times always seem to clash with a changeover of food, so they never seem to have any food ready, and i find the selection crap to be honest. I dont drink coffee so that is lost on me !

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

If you’ve been through with the same esta it can be quick. Business class passengers use the “people who need assistance” queue for the security part. Then you can use the machines if you’ve been through on that ESTA that if the machine works properly you’ll get through to a shorter queue. If not - it places an X on your ticket slip - and you’ve to join the regular queue.

• Advertisement

If you’ve been through with the same esta it can be quick. Business class passengers use the “people who need assistance” queue for the security part. Then you can use the machines if you’ve been through on that ESTA that if the machine works properly you’ll get through to a shorter queue. If not - it places an X on your ticket slip - and you’ve to join the regular queue.

This hasn't been the procedure for months (or if it is still in operation it's only at very specific times). All ESTA holders must now queue up to be seen at a booth. The 'shorter' queue used to be the US one. While it is still shorter than the non-US one, it certainly can't be described as short.

i have travelled on the same esta and same passport for the last 4 trips since June - and at no time have the machines been in use. My wife has been through 3 times, same thing, and a number of work colleagues say the same. I did ask a staff member and they said the machines are not in use right now. Business class security line is spelled out clearly at the bottom of the escalator, turn right as you go in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

RMDrive wrote: »
    This hasn't been the procedure for months (or if it is still in operation it's only at very specific times). All ESTA holders must now queue up to be seen at a booth. The 'shorter' queue used to be the US one. While it is still shorter than the non-US one, it certainly can't be described as short.

Never said it was short just that it’s shorter. I was through in August and this was the case.

On the 4:10 flight to JFK, and there’s only the BOS flight after us 10 minutes later. Although there’s 3 departures an hour before us, and more again before that.

We should be hitting the airport at about 1pm.

What about the additional security after US customs? Can any duty free be brought through? In sealed bags? What about my DAA Plane Water?

Besides the lounge is there shopping/food after customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You can get plane water and duty free alcohol after pre-clearance. There are a couple of food options as well.

• Advertisement

Never said it was short just that it’s shorter. I was through in August and this was the case.
    I could be wrong, but at the moment it seems that only US folks get to queue up in what was the previous queue used for the machine processed folks, i.e. to the right hand side of the booths as you look at them, or under the escalator down if you like. Non US folks all join the other main queue all the time it seems. And i have always had to chat at a booth, regardless of whether i am machine processed or not.

On the 4:10 flight to JFK, and there’s only the BOS flight after us 10 minutes later. Although there’s 3 departures an hour before us, and more again before that.

What about the additional security after US customs? Can any duty free be brought through? In sealed bags? What about my DAA Plane Water?

Should be a lot quieter at that point timewise. 

There is no security AFTER the booths / customs, you do have security first thing when you get downstairs, before customs. Basically you queue up twice, first security, then customs/passports etc. shoes off, bags through, but no body scanners/ metal detectors etc.

I have brought perfume through that was bought upstairs in duty free, its in a sealed bag and i just popped it into my carry on, no issues. Not sure how alcohol is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭barman linen

I've gone through on the 15th, joining the US pre-clearance queue at approximately 11.00, and on the 8th joining the queue at approximately 10.00. In both cases it took me over 1 hour to get through and I had to walk straight onto the plane when I made it. The internal infrastructure can no longer cope with the amount of flights scheduled.

It tends to be somewhat better in the afternoon but I'd definitely give yourself extra time.

100% agree - 90 minutes to get through for Seattle flight last week. NYC and BOS flights at similar times so ridiculous queues. The pre-clearance is no longer an advantage - would rather take the lottery of US arrival rather than the certainty of the Dublin queue. I have had 6 TATL this year and the quickest transit was 30 mins.

Airlines success with new routes and through passengers has not been matched by the DAA capacity. As well as the pre-clearance mess there is regular waiting on the tarmac for gates to clear.

As above - fast track is now a mess and with EI giving the world and their wife Priority boarding the EI gates resemble the FR lineups more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭NSAman

Went through to ORD last week on the 11ish flight. Arrived three hours before departure checked in spent a few minutes in Duty Free and then went to immigration. Business class so was whisked through the “fast channel” and waited and waited and waited in the queue. Finally reached the gate when the plane was boarding, Didnt get time to spend in the lounge.

The advantage that Dublin had has been lost now. It would be quicker in Immigration in Chicago.

The plane was also delayed by one hour thanks to this fiasco.

Dublin used to be a great airport for boarding quickly for TA flights, not anymore. There are too many feeder flights from the UK arriving late, people jumping the queue because BA or AL arrived late from the UK. Apparently, talking to the staff, this is going to get even worse. The winter roster of staff from the US immigration started a few weeks ago and there are less. Also, the number of departures in Dublin is now at 26, the hall is too small and there are too many flights.... shame as I used to look forward to Dublin, now, not so much.

arriving one hour before hand? I know it is quieter but one hour ain’t enough.

Additional security is fine, there is a Duty free after all this, and a variety of small shops and bar and cafe.

I wouldn’t leave it so late though.

NSAman wrote: »
    arriving one hour before hand? I know it is quieter but one hour ain’t enough.
    I wouldn’t leave it so late though.

I'll be arriving at 1pm for a flight at 4:10pm.

I for one would be VERY slow to actively chose immigration in the US - i have done it many many times over the years and its never been great. My last time was a family holiday via Wash DC in a July timeframe, and it was 2.5 hours, plus another 1.5 hours after we were pulled out post CBP for some extra treatment because my finger prints apparently didnt register correctly, yet we were not told at the CBP desk. This is not the first time either, i have heard of many work colleagues having similar experiences, and no one would voluntarily chose to bypass Dublin. I have never had anything like this in Dublin. Yes, there are too many people down there now, but it would want to get really silly before i actively chose to do it in the US. 

Also, if you are only going direct to a specific US city, without a connection, which is what i usually do, would you voluntarily chose to hop on an extra connection through LHR, AMR or CDG ? Any perceived time saving from avoiding Dublin CBP would be annihilated and then some. 

DAA are hopeless are far as i can see, there is always an issue with waiting for gates when arriving from the US, my last EWR flight waited 20 mins for a plane to be moved, yet there were lots of free gates at 4.20 in the morning. This happens regularly on the TA flights that i take, EI or United. Between that and not having someone to drive the air bridge.

mx5ire wrote: »
    I for one would be VERY slow to actively chose immigration in the US - i have done it many many times over the years and its never been great. My last time was a family holiday via Wash DC in a July timeframe, and it was 2.5 hours, plus another 1.5 hours after we were pulled out post CBP for some extra treatment because my finger prints apparently didnt register correctly, yet we were not told at the CBP desk. This is not the first time either, i have heard of many work colleagues having similar experiences, and no one would voluntarily chose to bypass Dublin. I have never had anything like this in Dublin. Yes, there are too many people down there now, but it would want to get really silly before i actively chose to do it in the US.

Also, if you are only going direct to a specific US city, without a connection, which is what i usually do, would you voluntarily chose to hop on an extra connection through LHR, AMR or CDG ? Any perceived time saving from avoiding Dublin CBP would be annihilated and then some.

DAA are hopeless are far as i can see, there is always an issue with waiting for gates when arriving from the US, my last EWR flight waited 20 mins for a plane to be moved, yet there were lots of free gates at 4.20 in the morning. This happens regularly on the TA flights that i take, EI or United. Between that and not having someone to drive the air bridge.

This is true - the immigration experience in the US is still probably longer, however the gap is narrowing and the appeal of pre-clearance in Dublin is substantially less than it was, and I hope that DAA are aware of the reputational damage that it's causing them. It's not just about the time either; people are stressed and worried in the queues as they think they'll miss their flights. I made a point to reassure everyone around me but where were the DAA staff in all this? Reputations are slow to build and quick to destroy.

I'll be arriving at 1pm for a flight at 4:10pm.

Apologies... it WAS 5am in the morning when I was reading it..;)

you should be fine at this stage. Immigration tends to calm down after the 2pm slots are finalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭barman linen

NSAman wrote: »
    Apologies... it WAS 5am in the morning when I was reading it..;)

you should be fine at this stage. Immigration tends to calm down after the 2pm slots are finalised.

I have to disagree on this - as mentioned above I arrived at 1330 for the 1550 Seattle flight last week and took 90 minutes to get through immigration. Lots of flights were delayed due to the volume of passengers. All CBP gates were open so the issue is too many passengers for the current resource.

DAA needs to get another few CBP stations in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

It's unusual that we have Pre clearance but Irish citizens aren't eligible for Global Entry, which speeds things up.

I have to disagree on this - as mentioned above I arrived at 1330 for the 1550 Seattle flight last week and took 90 minutes to get through immigration. Lots of flights were delayed due to the volume of passengers. All CBP gates were open so the issue is too many passengers for the current resource.

DAA needs to get another few CBP stations in there.

Last week, only half the stations were open. The queues were horrendous. I was actually surprised that not all were open. Normally I take the later ORD flight but I had work to get to here. I have never seen it as bad as last week. On the afternoon flight (last time I took it was 8 weeks ago) there were queues but NOTHING of the magnitude I experienced last week.

Dublin WILL loose its advantage quickly if this continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Well the CBP varies in processing speed. I breezed through last week, no questions beyond business or pleasure. No finger prints. Less than 5 minutes in the queue.
    Month before I got the full in your face rapid fire questions and both hands finger printed. 30 minutes waiting in the queue

Joined the US customs queue at 1:18pm, through by 1:39pm.

Sorted.

Joined the US customs queue at 1:18pm, through by 1:39pm.

Sorted.

Enjoy 51st & Green :D

Enjoy 51st & Green :D

Nice bowl of Irish Stew and washing it down with a Cosmopolitan!!

Nice bowl of Irish Stew and washing it down with a Cosmopolitan!!

Couldn't you have a drink instead of reading a magazine?.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Took the 11:00 flight to BOS a few weeks back, immigration in Dublin was in excess of 90 minutes.

The one saving grace is that they have staff go through the queues and identify people queuing for flights shortly departing, so if you are at risk of missing it they would bring you up to the front. Although if you're relying on that, I wouldn't fancy being asked any additional questions beyond the standard by the CBP officers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭tnegun

Have had it take me 20 mins from the door of terrmial 2 to the gate with fast track to almost 70mins. Definitely something up with booking exit rows on ei-118 or ei-gey couldn't book them 2 weeks ago and at the airport all were taken, doors just closed on the flight tonight and 6 free in front of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I have a couple of very basic aerclub question.... but am unable to find the answer.

I want to book an Aerclub companion ticket. Is this a one way deal or can I use it for a return booking?

I'm always on a serious budget when travelling outside work, however, the OH and myself are hoping to go to NY for a treat (wedding / honeymoon) next year.

I know that I can't use the companion ticket and the business class upgrades at once - but am I better off buying 2 saver tickets and using the upgrade? Or just use the companion ticket.

Thanks.. I know these are basic questions.

Advertisement